The Carnivore Diet

Lyfe

Star
Does anyone here have experience with this diet? My sister reccomended it to me after losing close to 100lbs from it.

It has been gaining allot of popularity in recent years. Allot of people who have experience with both keto and carnivore say they prefer carnivore. Keto is very low carb and carnivore is basically no carb with only animal products. Fatty dairy with no carbs is encouraged as well.

I am on day 2 and feel disgusting, because i can feel the meat, eggs, and fat just stick around in my stomach, but that is good i guess cause it keeps you sated( full and not craving) and makes it easier to do things like OMAD snd intermittent fast which has numerous benefits. Very potent for weight loss. One of my meals and i dont feel hungry at all the rest of the day, in fact the idea of eating seems disgusting and that is part of the point.

Michi

Established
I’m not writing this to irritate you.
I hope you are getting your grass-finished meat directly from a trusted rancher.

High Tech Trash - Grossman
“PBDEs, flame retardants, get stored in animal fats and are persistent. They cause thyroid and endocrine disruption, cancer, neurological and developmental toxicity.“
“Nearly all food in grocery stores of animal origin are contaminated.”

Politics of Cancer Revisited - Epstein
“Irradiation is the process of exposing foods to high-level radiation (cobalt 60) to kill bacteria, insects, molds, prolong shelf-life, and disguise rancid meat too.”

Foodopoly - Hauter
“Cows eat corn, soy, cotton meal, ethanol waste and other ingredients that cause fat, marbled meat.”

“Cattle spend at least 3-4 months of their lives crowded together in feedlots, wallowing in their own waste, arrive at the slaughterhouse covered in fecal matter. From the first steps of killing the animal, fecal matter are dispersed in the meat product.”

“Since the poultry inspectors were done away with during the Reagan administration, people are eating chickens with external blemishes, tumors, cancers, and gaping wounds oozing with puss.”

“When the meat reaches the end of the line, ammonia, chlorine, trisodium phosphate is applied, then irradiation.”

I could go on, but I hope you get the message.

Lyfe

Star
I’m not writing this to irritate you.
I hope you are getting your grass-finished meat directly from a trusted rancher.

High Tech Trash - Grossman
“PBDEs, flame retardants, get stored in animal fats and are persistent. They cause thyroid and endocrine disruption, cancer, neurological and developmental toxicity.“
“Nearly all food in grocery stores of animal origin are contaminated.”

Politics of Cancer Revisited - Epstein
“Irradiation is the process of exposing foods to high-level radiation (cobalt 60) to kill bacteria, insects, molds, prolong shelf-life, and disguise rancid meat too.”

Foodopoly - Hauter
“Cows eat corn, soy, cotton meal, ethanol waste and other ingredients that cause fat, marbled meat.”

“Cattle spend at least 3-4 months of their lives crowded together in feedlots, wallowing in their own waste, arrive at the slaughterhouse covered in fecal matter. From the first steps of killing the animal, fecal matter are dispersed in the meat product.”

“Since the poultry inspectors were done away with during the Reagan administration, people are eating chickens with external blemishes, tumors, cancers, and gaping wounds oozing with puss.”

“When the meat reaches the end of the line, ammonia, chlorine, trisodium phosphate is applied, then irradiation.”

I could go on, but I hope you get the message.
The meat i buy is 100 percent grassfed organic, but idk if its grass finished. I never even heard of grass finished until a week ago. Grassfed beef is kinda spendy in most places so idk if i would be able to afford it fom specific ranchers as it can get close to 10 dollars a lb from what I have seen.

I know that by going carnivore even on what you can afford can still be very beneficial, because you are still subtracting allot of the things causing people problems with their health(sugars, grains, gluten, toxic plants, unhealthy versions of dairy, processed foods, and etc).

I have a lot of health problems studied diets for years carnivore can be good for autoimmune and alot of people swear by it get some electrolytes tho.

Have a look at the randle cycle.

I find it quite restrictive and maybe not sustainable.
It's also not good to be in keto constantly in my opinion cycling in and out might be better.

But I think organs apart from brain due to prion risk are very good for you. Liver, heart and kidney are super foods.

Lyfe

Star
I have a lot of health problems studied diets for years carnivore can be good for autoimmune and alot of people swear by it get some electrolytes tho.

Have a look at the randle cycle.

I find it quite restrictive and maybe not sustainable.
It's also not good to be in keto constantly in my opinion cycling in and out might be better.

But I think organs apart from brain due to prion risk are very good for you. Liver, heart and kidney are super foods.
Yeah i got a couple of electrolyte supplemements. I have been eating nothing but grassfed beef, eggs, sardines, and ghee the past few days. Im already sick of the ground beef, but i can literally eat one meal a day around noon and feel full all day without any cravings. The fat and protein keeps you really satiated(full). When my diet was rich in carbs I would eat and be hungry a few hours later. I have noticed those cravings throughout the day are basically gone.

The Agrarian

Veteran
The one good thing sbout this "pandemic" is its got people thinking seriously about food insecurity. Seriously people, visit your local farmer's market and watch your health improve. Supporting family farms and unsubscribing to Mass Media™️ are the most accessable way to defy the 1%.

You won't regret the little extra it takes to break that dependency on Big Food.

The Agrarian

Veteran
Yeah i got a couple of electrolyte supplemements. I have been eating nothing but grassfed beef, eggs, sardines, and ghee the past few days. Im already sick of the ground beef, but i can literally eat one meal a day around noon and feel full all day without any cravings. The fat and protein keeps you really satiated(full). When my diet was rich in carbs I would eat and be hungry a few hours later. I have noticed those cravings throughout the day are basically gone.
The key takeaway here is "already getting sick". That's your body literally recognizing and accommodating nutrients over toxins.

To be more specific: its the good bacteria in your gut kicking into over-drive to help your body absorb nutrients more effectively.

I have homesteader family in eastern Kentucky whose 13 year old son never ate a hamburger until last year. The ONLY meat they ever consumed was wild white-tail deer. McDonalds made the kid puke buckets and he never touched it again. He aptly described it as "plastic shit".

Daze

Superstar
I imagine you already know since its kinda common knowledge at this point but weight loss is all about calories in and calories out. You can lose weight on a strict twinkie diet if you burn more calories then you consume.

Obviously eat healthy foods, make sure you get protein so your body eats your fat and not your muscle, but if you want to lose weight find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is with some online calculator. Here's one. Just enter some basic details like age and height and it will tell you how many calories your body consumes every day.

Then just count calories and eat below that by 100- 500 calories. The more aggressive you are the faster it will take place, but the more difficult it will be to sustain.

Ignore every fad diet out there. Keto, Carnivore, ect. The only thing that matters for fat loss is the calories you consume, and the amount of calories you burn. Even a person who sits in a chair all day is burning considerable calories due to brain, heart, basic bodily functions.

Maintain a negative caloric state and the weight will come off.

Lyfe

Star
@ Daze

The thing i like about carnivore is that so far it works for me. The animal fats and peotein really do their job at keeping me full and eliminating cravings for carbs and sugar. Plus the fat doesnt store cause on carnivore with no carbs it goes straight to energy.

When my diet was carb heavy i would always have cravings and get hungry a couple hours after eating or snacking, but since carnivore these things don't even nag me.
Its easy to do things like omad and intermittent fast which has benefits beyond weight loss. Im moreso doing carnivore for the elimination of cravings and how easy it is to do one meal a day and intermittent fast. I think when it comes to diet people got to stick with something that works for them. There are allot of ways to lose weight and stay healthy. Carnivore is restrictive, but I dont mind it as much cause im not sitting around craving different foods all day.

The Agrarian

Veteran
Just a friendly reminder:
Get a good water filtration system with little or no plastics (at least aim for non-BPA) and stay hydrated while dieting. There's a chance even small cravings may just be your body needing water. Dehydration is the best way to sabotage any weight-loss effort.

billy t

Veteran
I imagine you already know since its kinda common knowledge at this point but weight loss is all about calories in and calories out. You can lose weight on a strict twinkie diet if you burn more calories then you consume.

Obviously eat healthy foods, make sure you get protein so your body eats your fat and not your muscle, but if you want to lose weight find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is with some online calculator. Here's one. Just enter some basic details like age and height and it will tell you how many calories your body consumes every day.

Then just count calories and eat below that by 100- 500 calories. The more aggressive you are the faster it will take place, but the more difficult it will be to sustain.

Ignore every fad diet out there. Keto, Carnivore, ect. The only thing that matters for fat loss is the calories you consume, and the amount of calories you burn. Even a person who sits in a chair all day is burning considerable calories due to brain, heart, basic bodily functions.

Maintain a negative caloric state and the weight will come off.
The reality is - any diet that restricts carbohydrates beyond a certain threshold will lower hunger because of the impact is has on satiety hormones. This is why low-carb diets are great for weight loss. Yes, it is true that "calories in calories out" is what leads to weight loss but its very hard to lose weight when you are hungry all the time. Hence - low carb (whether keto or carnivore) are wise options for people, especially when every other plan fails. I know of family members and friends who have benefited from keto and lost weight. I can't say the same for the 90 bananas a day diet or the potato only diet.

"Fad diet" needs to be defined. The idea that you should eat a "balanced diet" with a portion from each specific food group could be labelled a "fad-diet".

billy t

Veteran
@ Daze

The thing i like about carnivore is that so far it works for me. The animal fats and peotein really do their job at keeping me full and eliminating cravings for carbs and sugar. Plus the fat doesnt store cause on carnivore with no carbs it goes straight to energy.

When my diet was carb heavy i would always have cravings and get hungry a couple hours after eating or snacking, but since carnivore these things don't even nag me.
Its easy to do things like omad and intermittent fast which has benefits beyond weight loss. Im moreso doing carnivore for the elimination of cravings and how easy it is to do one meal a day and intermittent fast. I think when it comes to diet people got to stick with something that works for them. There are allot of ways to lose weight and stay healthy. Carnivore is restrictive, but I dont mind it as much cause im not sitting around craving different foods all day.
@ Daze

While you can eat a lot of fat on keto it does depend on your overall caloric intake. If you eat less protein then you can eat A LOT of butter and not put on weight. However, if you are eating a lot of protein and also lots of fat and aren't doing much in the way of exercise then you can gain weight. Jimmy Moore is the perfect example of this. So yes, you CAN eat a A LOT of fat on a low-carb diet without gaining weight but there is a certain threshold where you can gain weight. Usually you don't have to pay attention to how much fat or protein you eat because you can stop eating once you are satiated. However, if someone has been doing low carb (to lose weight) for a while and the weight is not dropping then it may be a good idea to lower fat.

billy t

Veteran
Does anyone here have experience with this diet? My sister reccomended it to me after losing close to 100lbs from it.

It has been gaining allot of popularity in recent years. Allot of people who have experience with both keto and carnivore say they prefer carnivore. Keto is very low carb and carnivore is basically no carb with only animal products. Fatty dairy with no carbs is encouraged as well.

I am on day 2 and feel disgusting, because i can feel the meat, eggs, and fat just stick around in my stomach, but that is good i guess cause it keeps you sated( full and not craving) and makes it easier to do things like OMAD snd intermittent fast which has numerous benefits. Very potent for weight loss. One of my meals and i dont feel hungry at all the rest of the day, in fact the idea of eating seems disgusting and that is part of the point.
I ate a ketogenic diet for around 3 years. It wasn't "carnivore" but was close to it. I had vegetables a few days a week but most days it was just eggs, red-meat, chicken, butter, cheese, salmon, sardines, mussels etc.

I had no side effects at all and great energy. I even played 40 minute basketball games without carbs and experienced no dizziness etc. After a few months your body becomes very efficient at using fat for energy.

I don't eat this way now. I usually eat some potatoes and rice etc. My weight usually gets to low when I do keto. I can probably mitigate it by eating more protein but that is not always that practical. I try to stay around 85 kgs and tend to be around 80ish when I don't eat carbs. My first step when playing basketball also tends to be quicker with 100 or so grams of carbs a day too. I don't think carbs are needed though.

My sister does keto and is doing great. She had weight issues before and her metabolic health is very good now.

The Agrarian

Veteran
One relative of mine is gluten-intolerant so he's on a "semi-keto" diet too. He's lost over 100 lbs. with it and swimming laps at the YMCA.

Bottom-line: Americans are too addicted to sugars and even naturally occuring carbohydrates are sugars. Everything in moderation yall.

Lyfe

Star
I ate a ketogenic diet for around 3 years. It wasn't "carnivore" but was close to it. I had vegetables a few days a week but most days it was just eggs, red-meat, chicken, butter, cheese, salmon, sardines, mussels etc.

I had no side effects at all and great energy. I even played 40 minute basketball games without carbs and experienced no dizziness etc. After a few months your body becomes very efficient at using fat for energy.

I don't eat this way now. I usually eat some potatoes and rice etc. My weight usually gets to low when I do keto. I can probably mitigate it by eating more protein but that is not always that practical. I try to stay around 85 kgs and tend to be around 80ish when I don't eat carbs. My first step when playing basketball also tends to be quicker with 100 or so grams of carbs a day too. I don't think carbs are needed though.

My sister does keto and is doing great. She had weight issues before and her metabolic health is very good now.
I could eat steak, shrimp, and eggs consistently. Chicken drumsticks are good too. Its the ground beef that gets tiring although its the most cost friendly.

Its sort of wild how fast the carbs can add up on plants and fruits. I noticed that when I consumed green smoothies I was getting allot sugars and also carbs when i added it all up. Not only that, but greens always made me hungry a couple hours later. I decided to cut out all carbs just to see what it would do and it basically eliminated hunger snd cravings if I get enough fat. If I did do keto id probably just sautee some spinach cause every other fruit and veggie just adds up carbs so fast. Sauteed spinach with butter and salt is acctually pretty good imho.

billy t

Veteran
I could eat steak, shrimp, and eggs consistently. Chicken drumsticks are good too. Its the ground beef that gets tiring although its the most cost friendly.

Its sort of wild how fast the carbs can add up on plants and fruits. I noticed that when I consumed green smoothies I was getting allot sugars and also carbs when i added it all up. Not only that, but greens always made me hungry a couple hours later. I decided to cut out all carbs just to see what it would do and it basically eliminated hunger snd cravings if I get enough fat. If I did do keto id probably just sautee some spinach cause every other fruit and veggie just adds up carbs so fast. Sauteed spinach with butter and salt is acctually pretty good imho.
Ground meat can tend to get a bit bland. My wife used to make patties with it by using an egg instead of flour, with some onion powder and other spices etc. I then I put it in the oven with thick slices of cheddar cheese over each one. Gherkins go pretty good with it too or tomato's. Just make it like a bunless burger.

From a nutritional perspective, ground beef is great. Its no different than eating the more expensive stuff, as long as its had nothing added.

I never counted fibrous carbs, only net carbs.

Yeah, I guess its just about being creative. I feel like I am a more fussy eater now than I were before, strangely enough. So yeah, I would probably have to get a low carb cook book or something if I ate like that again to keep my meals interesting.

elsbet

Superstar
The meat i buy is 100 percent grassfed organic, but idk if its grass finished. I never even heard of grass finished until a week ago. Grassfed beef is kinda spendy in most places so idk if i would be able to afford it fom specific ranchers as it can get close to 10 dollars a lb from what I have seen.

I know that by going carnivore even on what you can afford can still be very beneficial, because you are still subtracting allot of the things causing people problems with their health(sugars, grains, gluten, toxic plants, unhealthy versions of dairy, processed foods, and etc).
Where I live, the added expense just isn't that much-- plus it tastes better and it is so much better for you. And the cows, of course.

Even at $10/lb... it would take me quite a while to get through that much. I'm pretty sure you're a guy, so I'm probably half your size-- but as you said, there's a lot of crap you won't be buying anymore. If you're feeding more than yourself, of course, it would be different, but Diets are often solo projects. :p

Ok, it's 7.99/lb where I buy, for 92/7%. Pretty lowfat, so you shouldn't feel bad afterward.

It's totally worth it, imo.

Anyway... congratulations. Hope it works for you. :)

Lyfe

Star
I have been getting my ground beef from aldis which goes a little under 6 dollars per lb. They have usda 100 percent grass fed organic on the label, but who knows cause even labels bear false witness these days. The carnivore community says to just buy what you can afford cause the benefits are still there with a diet that has cut out carbs, grain, gluten, processed foods, sugars, and etc. I may be altering my diet though and switch to only eating ground beef a couple times a week cause 7 days is a week is too repetitive imho. The goal of any succesful health regimen should be something sustainable and should even consist of meals you look forward to. Chicken drumsticks work pretty well for me, but chicken is a very tainted meat these days and very pricey for the pure stuff. 8 to 12 oz steaks are great with shrimp and ghee. I can afford that combo if i limit it to a few days a week.