The Bible is full of suffering

Nikōn

Veteran
Aquinas: speaks directly to Muslims being carnal and falsehoods of the Islamic faith.

Nikon: Aquinas don't take him literally

Me: *facepalm*

Simone bilas couldn't do those gymnastics.
This just speaks again to the point about polemics and false accusations taken over authentic representation. You are stuck in hostile polemic mode (which has limited usefulness), the fact of comparative religious study and authentic representation in spite of religious differences still hasn't occurred to you.
I say what I say about Aquinas' statement because I am trying to present the best possible Aquinas, however another possible motive aside from political agenda (as a medieval Catholic) could simply be limited access to sources.
The accusations Aquinas levels though are very much the stock-standard heretic and infidel card, sexual carnality is usually one of the big accusations leveled against such groups but is often severe distortions and even fictions. Same things were leveled against Martin Luther, John Calvin and any other reformer.

The only particular reason that this kind of thing is said in the first place, is that Christianity itself has no real doctrinal presence of a description of heaven/paradise (aside from certain parables of Jesus like the mansion with many rooms, used as a metaphor for it), even though both Judaism and Christianity do associate it with a return to Eden to varying degrees (Revelation 22 even including the River Of Life and Tree Of Life motifs, both being inherently representative of Eden). The concepts of things like multiple wives, even concubines etc are not Unbiblical things. The kind of Pauline dualism between things of the Spirit and things of the Flesh are not really applicable in this aspect.

In terms of statements like "he gave free reign to carnal pleasure" simply cannot be taken seriously by any intellectually honest person who wouldn't want the same misrepresentations of their faith.
On one end you will find the medieval Catholic polemic that Muhammad gave free reign to fornication, yet on the other end you will find Liberal-Progressive polemic that Muhammad represses all sexual desires and that it limits the sexualities of both men and women.
In actual Islamic sources, fornication is illegal and punishable if proven and matrimony is required for sexual intercourse (like both Judaism and Islam).
"As for the fornicatress and the fornicator, strike each of them a hundred lashes, and let not pity for them overcome you in Allah’s law, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day, and let their punishment be witnessed by a group of the faithful." (Quran 24:2) - and on that point, you may then take the liberal-Progressive-LGBT-loving criticism and say that Islam is barbaric because it doesn't condone fornication.
Alongside that, in Islamic sources you will find that while their religion is less world-hating than some forms of Christianity, it is not exactly carnal in it's view of the world:
"Know that the life of this world is just play and diversion, and glitter, and mutual vainglory among you and covetousness for wealth and children—like the rain whose vegetation impresses the farmer; then it withers and you see it turn yellow, then it becomes chaff, while in the Hereafter there is a severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and His pleasure; and the life of this world is nothing but the wares of delusion.
Take the lead towards forgiveness from your Lord and a paradise as vast as the heavens and the earth, prepared for those who have faith in Allah and His apostles. That is Allah’s grace, which He grants to whomever He wishes, and Allah is dispenser of a great grace."
(Quran 57:20)
Which speaks in similar terms to the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Again, remember the fruits of the spirit and wear them as a garment, try to start posting on here with a good conscience instead of what you have been doing here prior.

Last edited:
This just speaks again to the point about polemics and false accusations taken over authentic representation. You are stuck in hostile polemic mode (which has limited usefulness), the fact of comparative religious study and authentic representation in spite of religious differences still hasn't occurred to you.
I say what I say about Aquinas' statement because I am trying to present the best possible Aquinas, however another possible motive aside from political agenda (as a medieval Catholic) could simply be limited access to sources.
The accusations Aquinas levels though are very much the stock-standard heretic and infidel card, sexual carnality is usually one of the big accusations leveled against such groups but is often severe distortions and even fictions. Same things were leveled against Martin Luther, John Calvin and any other reformer.

The only particular reason that this kind of thing is said in the first place, is that Christianity itself has no real doctrinal presence of a description of heaven/paradise (aside from certain parables of Jesus like the mansion with many rooms, used as a metaphor for it), even though both Judaism and Christianity do associate it with a return to Eden to varying degrees (Revelation 22 even including the River Of Life and Tree Of Life motifs, both being inherently representative of Eden). The concepts of things like multiple wives, even concubines etc are not Unbiblical things. The kind of Pauline dualism between things of the Spirit and things of the Flesh are not really applicable in this aspect.
Again it's not hostile to show falsehoods. I know your theological view is that Christianity and Islam are really compatible I'm saying they aren't.

Jesus said there is no marriage in heaven.

Thats an exact contradiction between the two religions. So yes that's unbiblical. Yes Aquinas called Muslims out on it.

Nikōn

Veteran
Again it's not hostile to show falsehoods. I know your theological view is that Christianity and Islam are really compatible I'm saying they aren't.

Jesus said there is no marriage in heaven.

Thats an exact contradiction between the two religions. So yes that's unbiblical. Yes Aquinas called Muslims out on it.
I made no statement in support or opposition to that, I also significantly added to that post before your reply, please reply to that response not the older version of the post.

You said that concubines are not unbiblical and assumingly draw a parallel between that and the Aquinas quote then say Paul's dualism doesn't apply which makes 0sense to me.

Given that there's no flesh in heaven not until we are given our new bodies which Jesus says we wil be like the angels...

Are you reading what you are writing or ?

I think I'm done here. Good day

Nikōn

Veteran
You said that concubines are not unbiblical and assumingly draw a parallel between that and the Aquinas quote then say Paul's dualism doesn't apply which makes 0sense to me.

Given that there's no flesh in heaven not until we are given our new bodies which Jesus says we wil be like the angels...
Well logically if we're talking about heaven, then we're not talking about flesh.
And either way overemphasizes elements of Paul's theology while leaving out others (such as that Paul is never opposed to matrimonial sex, for instance, matter of fact he encourages it's value, his teaching against "The Flesh" doesn't apply to his holding of such views).

The passage you cite is in reference to a matter of halakha that the Saducees brought to him. The Saducees here are trying to stump him on inheritance laws, it is by far not a unanimous view that the passage in question is denying holy union and so forth (just look at Adam and Eve before the fall).

Last edited:

Nikōn

Veteran
U know the bride of Christ is the church. I don't think the same implications are there.
The concept of the Church is not initially used to refer to buildings but to the assembly of believers themselves (in the Messiah).

Bubbajay

Veteran
The concept of the Church is not initially used to refer to buildings but to the assembly of believers themselves (in the Messiah).
Why do you constantly do the same thing you accuse others of? How many times are you going to derail the thread? Hypocrite.