The "Asteroid" Anticipation Thread

Helioform

Star
200m wide meteor has "96% chance of hitting Earth in 2027". Found this while searching for "comet 2025" (I had a dream of an impact during that year).
Could cause massive damage....

I am not able to link the NASA pdf, search for "asteroid 2017 PDC".

Riptide

Established
Imagine if they "break it up" like in the movie Armageddon and the "smaller pieces" still fell to earth. They could just target areas they want to destroy or "reset" and be totally blameless.

Awoken2

Superstar
A quote from the above article.

"But an estimated two-thirds of asteroids 460 feet in size or bigger — large enough to wreak considerable havoc — remain undiscovered"

.....anybody else get a whiff of flawed logic in this statement?

The 21-ton Long March 5b is returning to earth after launching the first module of China's new space station and could land anywhere in a 'red zone' that includes New York and Madrid.

jollycynic

Are there any radiotelescopes left that aren't controlled by the few? Would we have any way to verify, say, and incoming rock if it's approach was from near the poles? I'm still skeptical about asteroid programming being anything but priming us to accept an alternative explanation for the deployment of small nukes.

Awoken2

Superstar
Just saw this piece about NASA's plan to move the course of an incoming asteroid with nuclear weapons:

So NASA convene a week long "drill" (red flag in itself after so many drills going live) which after a few days give up on trying to defend earth in any way from it and instead work out exactly where it would hit and how much damage it would inflict over exactly which areas.

How reassuring.

Awoken2

Superstar
I'm going to post a link, when it becomes available, from BBC news that was aired about half an hour ago. The story was about a meteor that had landed in Gloucestershire which had been taken to a museum. The news anchors then spoke to some astro physicist and asked two very disturbing questions, the second one being " what could we do if an armageddon sized asteroid was discovered in our skies?"

I'm aware that most people outside of the UK on this forum will not be able to view this but it needs posting for the people who can.

The date of the strike in the NASA drill is 21.10.21. Let's hope this date passes without incident. Until the link becomes available I'll post this information.

We are getting set up people. Trust me on this one.

Last edited:

Awoken2

Superstar
I'm going to post a link, when it becomes available, from BBC news that was aired about half an hour ago. The story was about a meteor that had landed in Gloucestershire which had been taken to a museum. The news anchors then spoke to some astro physicist and asked two very disturbing questions, the second one being " what could we do if an armageddon sized asteroid was discovered in our skies?"

I'm aware that most people outside of the UK on this forum will not be able to view this but it needs posting for the people who can.

The date of the strike in the NASA drill is 21.10.21. Let's hope this date passes without incident. Until the link becomes available I'll post this information.

We are getting set up people. Trust me on this one.

Check out how the BBC turn an item on some innocuous meteorite falling into Gloucester into something else when the news anchor literally butts in when the gushing astrophysicist gets a bit too enthusiastic about her obvious love of meteors.

It starts at 2 hours 50 minutes and runs for 8 minutes.

It ends with the astrophysicist making the claim that NASA are "well prepared" for any impending asteroid strike..... she obviously didn't watch the video posted above. :rolleyes:

Breakfast, 14/05/2021: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000w18v via @bbciplayer

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
Chinese researchers propose deflecting 'Armageddon' asteroids with rockets

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese researchers want to send more than 20 of China's largest rockets to practice turning away a sizable asteroid - a technique that may eventually be crucial if a killer rock is on a collision course with Earth.

The idea is more than science fiction. Sometime between late 2021 to early 2022, the United States will launch a robotic spacecraft to intercept two asteroids relatively close to Earth.

When it arrives a year later, the NASA spacecraft will crash-land on the smaller of the two rocky bodies to see how much the asteroid's trajectory changes. It will be humanity's first try at changing the course of a celestial body.

At China's National Space Science Center, researchers found in simulations that 23 Long March 5 rockets hitting simultaneously could deflect a large asteroid from its original path by a distance 1.4 times the Earth's radius.
Their calculations are based on an asteroid dubbed Bennu, orbiting the sun, which is as wide as the Empire State Building is tall. It belongs to a class of rocks with the potential to cause regional or continental damage. Asteroids spanning more than 1 km would have global consequences.