The 80s style music videos in 2020 !

TheNight

Hi,

What's up with all the 80s style music videos?! (from Dua Lipa to The Weekend and Gaga and much more!)

Is there a reason (why not!) or just the same old routine?!
dua-lip-music-video-lets-get-physical-ftr.jpgimages.jpggaga2020.png

Karlysymon

Superstar
Nostalgia. Even for people who didn't live it, there's a weird part of the 80's that people think is simpler... Even if that wasn't really true.
I agree. After 9/11 and now, the Covid game, you can't really blame people for being nostalgic. 80s and 90s music videos are always accompanied with comments longing for the "old days". You don't really see the nostalgia expressed over early 2000s music.

Atleast they weren't wearing masks :D

polymoog

Superstar
80s and 90s music videos are always accompanied with comments longing for the "old days". You don't really see the nostalgia expressed over early 2000s music.
anyone who can still remember lifes simplicity prior to 9/11 longs for those days. 20 year olds have no concept of how things used to be (the concept of privacy, for example) before the new world order went into full swing.

theres a growing popularity for retrowave synth 80s- style music. i think these videos are jumping on the bandwagon for a bit of the look only.

drknessbexposed

Established

It can be explained equally well from the consumer side. After about 30 years, you’ve got a real market of people with disposable income who are nostalgic for their childhoods. So artists working in popular mediums are rewarded for making art that appeals to this audience.

"It’s an example of what Ellis refers to as the “30-year cycle,” though others theorizethat the cycle actually takes anywhere from 25 to 40 years – whatever the number is, it’s however long it takes for people who were consumers of culture as children to become creators of culture as adults. They usually retain a sense of emotional connection to the media of their childhood and, in turn, will create art that is either consciously or unconsciously informed by what resonated with them when they were growing up."

This may be able to answer your question. I've been wondering the same thing, the 60s/70s seem to be really popular as well, also keep in mind that the hippie movement has a huge influence on pop culture / the mainstream media, and it gets pretty deep from there.

Last edited:

It can be explained equally well from the consumer side. After about 30 years, you’ve got a real market of people with disposable income who are nostalgic for their childhoods. So artists working in popular mediums are rewarded for making art that appeals to this audience.

"It’s an example of what Ellis refers to as the “30-year cycle,” though others theorize that the cycle actually takes anywhere from 25 to 40 years – whatever the number is, it’s however long it takes for people who were consumers of culture as children to become creators of culture as adults. They usually retain a sense of emotional connection to the media of their childhood and, in turn, will create art that is either consciously or unconsciously informed by what resonated with them when they were growing up."

This may be able to answer your question. I've been wondering the same thing, the 60s/70s seem to be really popular as well, also keep in mind that the hippie movement has a huge influence on pop culture / the mainstream media, and it gets pretty deep from there.
Interesting articles, but while the 2nd article wants to touch on “artistic examination”, the 80s were really full of artistic expression and the birth of music videos that really didn’t take themselves too seriously. Martin Fry of ABC said in a recent interview that the goal of the "Look of Love" video was to be fun and campy. As well, there were more independent artists and record labels that financially invested in music, which would explain the artistic diversity. While I'm not well versed bout the mathematics of musical arrangement, there was probably more music written in a “positive” key. I can’t recall the terminology, but it has to do how the sharps and flats are arranged in a song. Howard Jones’ “Things Can Only Get Better” and Lionel Richie’s ‘You Are” are the easiest examples; it's essentially "happier" music.

Today, many of the independent recording studios have either folded or been purchased by the bigger recording conglomerates and very rarely sign any "artist" that doesn’t serve their dystopian agenda.

Karlysymon

Superstar
anyone who can still remember lifes simplicity prior to 9/11 longs for those days. 20 year olds have no concept of how things used to be (the concept of privacy, for example) before the new world order went into full swing.

theres a growing popularity for retrowave synth 80s- style music. i think these videos are jumping on the bandwagon for a bit of the look only.
It’s been said that Millennials occupy a unique place in history. They were the last generation to “see” that era (without cellphones and personal computers that proliferated in the 90s) so they still have a concept of life pre-9/11 and post-9/11.

Concept of privacy? Try that on kids (to be) born after 2020….they are so screwed...... unless you relocate to live deep in the Amazon rain forest :p

"It’s an example of what Ellis refers to as the “30-year cycle,” though others theorizethat the cycle actually takes anywhere from 25 to 40 years – whatever the number is, it’s however long it takes for people who were consumers of culture as children to become creators of culture as adults. They usually retain a sense of emotional connection to the media of their childhood and, in turn, will create art that is either consciously or unconsciously informed by what resonated with them when they were growing up."

Great articles. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

drknessbexposed

Established
Interesting articles, but while the 2nd article wants to touch on “artistic examination”, the 80s were really full of artistic expression and the birth of music videos that really didn’t take themselves too seriously. Martin Fry of ABC said in a recent interview that the goal of the "Look of Love" video was to be fun and campy. As well, there were more independent artists and record labels that financially invested in music, which would explain the artistic diversity. While I'm not well versed bout the mathematics of musical arrangement, there was probably more music written in a “positive” key. I can’t recall the terminology, but it has to do how the sharps and flats are arranged in a song. Howard Jones’ “Things Can Only Get Better” and Lionel Richie’s ‘You Are” are the easiest examples; it's essentially "happier" music.

Today, many of the independent recording studios have either folded or been purchased by the bigger recording conglomerates and very rarely sign any "artist" that doesn’t serve their dystopian agenda.
Well said, music was definitely better back then than it is now.

drknessbexposed

Established
Even I wasn’t born when, for example, Poco released that song :) Nevertheless, that era has a hold on me….so Corvus isn’t wrong in that regard. To me, it feels like everything ended at the turn of the millennium. Which is why early 2000s music is still enjoyable. Sorta like the last dregs of 90s music.

It’s been said that Millennials occupy a unique place in history. They were the last generation to “see” that era (without cellphones and personal computers that proliferated in the 90s) so they still have a concept of life pre-9/11 and post-9/11.

Concept of privacy? Try that on kids (to be) born after 2020….they are so screwed...... unless you relocate to live deep in the Amazon rain forest :p

Great articles. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome :)