That Didn't Take Long

rainerann

Star
That position is fine when decided by law. Not by a corporation.

A law not a corporation decided that.

Fine. But Wally World IS NOT raising my children.
Maybe not, but as a business owner, I would like the right to abstain from selling weapons to people under 21 for the sake of my own conscious and as a way of responding to the present situation regarding school shootings. I would like a way to feel like I am part of the solution considering the fact that the recent shooter was 18-years-old and if the legal age to own a gun had been 21, this might have prevented a young person from possessing a gun.

This boy decided to buy the gun legally according to reports. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that he might not have been willing or able to try to buy one illegally and this would have prevented this event from taking place.

Apparently, Florida is actively considering changing the legal age to 21 as state law. I think this would be a positive change to make.

As a result, a business owner should have to right to not sell a gun to someone under 21 as an act of conscious. As a corporation that is not able to change the law by making a change to store policy, this would obviously be the extent that they could apply this restriction, and the individual is able to buy a gun from a different location according to present language of the law.

The only reason that I think that a case could be made against Dicks for refusing to sell a gun to an individual under 21 is if they were guilty of harassing the individual or hindering his ability to purchase a gun from a different location. Otherwise, I see no reason why they should be forced to sell a gun to someone under the age of 21 considering the nature of the discussion regarding the item that is being sold, which is a gun. Not a bedspread.

elsbet

Superstar
The mental health laws in this country couldnt have held him either though.. deinstitutionalization. Its damn neat impossible to get someone held for more than a quick eval if they arent willing.
He was a minor.

Its not about working conditions for mental health staff, or even law enforecement in this case, its about the law.
Again, he was a minor. And I disagree-- compartmentalization and politics have an incredibly detrimental effect on government agencies. I didn't pull the idea from thin air. This kids family/ caretakers would have been involved.. or at least they should have been.

My aubt has attempted suicide three times this past year, we havent beem able to get her held more than a couple days at most because she spins a great tale, knows wjat to say and they have to - by law - release her if she doesnt appear to be an imminant danger. Theres a lot of holes in the mental health laws.
Right a 72 hour hold. Thats unfortunate but does she also threaten violence and murder, in addition to self-endangerment? That would change the case a bit, when you petition the judge, I imagine-- even for an adult.

justjess

Superstar
He was a minor.

Again, he was a minor. And I disagree-- compartmentalization and politics have an incredibly detrimental effect on government agencies. I didn't pull the idea from thin air. This kids family/ caretakers would have been involved.. or at least they should have been.

Right a 72 hour hold. Thats unfortunate but does she also threaten violence and murder, in addition to self-endangerment? That would change the case a bit, when you petition the judge, I imagine-- even for an adult.
He was 19, not a minor. Abd as far as mental health is concerned yoj are legally considered an adult at 14 and able to make your own medical decisions.

No, homicidal and suicidal ideation are treated the same by the law.

Your. Assuming he had family to lobby against him but his parents were dead. And even if he did, past 72 hours typically relies on self.report and observation by medical staff. If he denied and was acting calm they would release if he wasnt voluntary. Theres no evidence he was ever even held at all.

elsbet

Superstar
He was 19, not a minor. Abd as far as mental health is concerned yoj are legally considered an adult at 14 and able to make your own medical decisions.

No, homicidal and suicidal ideation are treated the same by the law.

Your. Assuming he had family to lobby against him but his parents were dead. And even if he did, past 72 hours typically relies on self.report and observation by medical staff. If he denied and was acting calm they would release if he wasnt voluntary. Theres no evidence he was ever even held at all.
That's just it-- bleeding, and babbling on about acquiring a gun and killing people (specifically minorities), he was released-- that was when he was 17, and he was taken in for the psych eval.. when it (in theory) could have put the brakes on this incident.

justjess

Superstar
That's just it-- bleeding, and babbling on about acquiring a gun and killing people (specifically minorities), he was released-- that was when he was 17, and he was taken in for the psych eval.. when it (in theory) could have put the brakes on this incident.
What should they havee done? Held him indefinately? Truly think through the implications of that for a minute...

We have due process. You cant be held for a crime u have not committed yet. For good reason.

You cant force medication, you cant force treatment.. and again truly think that througj and im sure youll understand and agree with whu.

Maes17

Superstar
That bothers me as well. You can die for your country but not responsible enough to drink. Mental gymnastics.....Governmental.
The new America.
It's affecting everyone in all 50 states.

Well I'm unsure of Hawaii and Alaska.
But those of us in the mainland. We feel the consequences of an individual