That 70's show, episode "The Drive In" gave me the creeps

TheVoid

Dalit

Star
The whole episode was ofputting and was especially about satanism. It was about the gang going to the movies to watch the Omen, and how Fez's host parents didn't want him to listen to a kind of music because it had satanic sayings backward.

The people who have watched this, what are your thoughts?

This particulair scene made my skin jump and I have no idea why. Why the half second jump to Eric's deformed (around 00:43) face and Hyde being extra creepy here?
Very creepy. Forgot about the laugh track in the background and how super annoying that is.

deepfakestate

Rookie
I love the 70s show but yeah I think it's a mixture of Led Zeppelin having the backwards playing controversy in Stairway to Heaven I believe, but this being a comedy show and using the only ethnic kid as the only one who believes in the "nonsense" probably has it's own agenda but yeah.

I have heard the backwards playing thing on certain songs and you can make out messages and then when you dig a bit deeper into certain rock n roll hall of fame stars, they seem to dabble or have an interest in the occult so...

Yeah the "satanic panic" was turned into a joke and a big old laugh for those who look into it but it's gone from having hidden messages on records by playing them backwards (who would ever think to play a records backwards?) fastforward to today and the music videos are full on symbolism machines, they don't even mask the lyrics now, they just have them right there in your face. I think the early Satan vibes in the 70's rock scene was just a template for what they've done to rap music, as it's now the most popular genre of music.

But there were times when it wasn't.