Thanksgiving: The annual genocide whitewash

Placing this video here as well considering the long weekend we have in Canada:

Land acknowledgements: uncovering an oral history of Tkaronto

ARose

Established
Robert Jensen is pushing the usual hack propaganda. That’s his personal speculation. I own the planting logs and diaries and the validity of these accounts was reinforced by documentation at the Yale Peabody collection.

The Pequots had been decimated by disease and war with The Oneida about ten years prior to the arrival of even the first Dutch, let alone English colonialist. They only had periodic trade meetings with fur traders from New France/Canada and more complex trade and treaty arrangements with tribes along The Connecticut River.

Is it tragic that remaining members of illness decimated tribes felt they had to reach out to alien arrivals to secure their own survival with the back-up of population numbers working to navigate harsh “New England” winters? Yes.

As for prayers of thanksgiving, the colonialists were being attacked by opportunistic, warrior tribes from the north who long preyed on more trade oriented tribes in the region long before they attacked the vulnerable colonialists. Their initial gripe was actually with “economically” competing tribes they’d celebrated being eliminated through disease, who were trade competition, suddenly securing a trade region again by joining-up with settlers.

They would raid and murder entire settlements, babies and all. It wasn’t until settler men started putting warrior heads on pikes outside of settlements that the tribes backed off.

Was there understandable resentment about these newcomers squatting on land they weren’t native to? I can see that (though the earliest English settlers actually shared some of the Nordic ancestry lines of the viking settlers of Labrador and those settlers actually arrived in Massachusetts on scoping expedition temporary settlements 200 years prior evidence of the first Pequot but that’s a touchy subject in academic circles bent on “White Man = Bad” cultural indoctrination narratives.)

But if you wouldn’t accept, for instance, today’s White European Californians murdering entire communities of illegal alien migrants from Central America, that have settled on land in was purchased from Mexico as a settlement following a war in the mid 1800’s, you shouldn’t defend the raids of English settlements in the 1600’s, either. Tribal anger and resentment at settlers being opportunistic is understandable but genocide is a moral wrong then as it is now. We shouldn’t glamorize that.

Instead of giving indigenous people credit for being the dominant players in treaties and trade arrangements in the region their ancestors dominated for many years, “compassionate intellectuals” would rather infantilize indigenous peoples and act like they were dim and trusting enough to just walk into White Man traps.

Many if the first contacts were from sophisticated tribal diplomats who didn’t just have a history of interacting with European traders up north but also if being like a diplomatic representative for tribes in trade centers at compunds along The Mississippi. These trade regions for indigenous tribes were like enormous shopping malls.

The first Thanksgiving was legitimately a thanksgiving within a tribe and settler hybrid community that survived through indigenous strategy (knowing the politics of regional tribes) and expertise and mutual cooperation to produce food and defense.

It’s a legit politically neutral American holiday about very different people working together for mutual survival and even to thrive. No American should be ashamed of it.

Last edited:

ARose

Established
I’m always surprised how few people around the World know the history of The Iroquois Confederation and how they were like a mercenary militia collective that were constantly raiding and warring with non warrior culture tribes South of them. They were especially ruthless with tribes they thought were circumnavigating them on trade with Europeans, as they concluded all trade should go through them and tribes could pay a tribute to them to maintain access or be iced out of these trade agreements.

So many people think of indigenous peoples of The Americas as being a homogenized collective of the same beliefs, histories and social structures. Maybe in the late 19th Century during the reservation abomination (The US failed to honor treaties between narions that had been established centuries prior and were still legally binding; a century later, those treaties would start being honored through land and resource rights acquisitions by tribal descendants ) Some of these tribes were as different as Afghanistan and Switzerland in tribal traditions,”political” ideologies and heirarchies of power within the tribe.

Last edited:

ARose

Established
The point I’m making is that indigenous people of those times were people. Not helpless, incapable pets of Europeans and not flawless living gods who existed in perfect harmony with their surroundings and each other.

In hybrid communities, indigenous people were obviously the experts of managing their region and they managed settlers who had no regional expertise, who had nothing more to offer but manpower and their tools and possessions from home. They needed food, so they humbled themselves and listened. Indigenous needed food, so they tolerated different looking hands planting and harvesting. They worked together for their own interests which was more binding than if they’d just personally liked each other or not.

Last edited:

ARose

Established
What has happened in US culture regarding the movement to delegitimize Thanksgiving as a holiday is what I call “insidious dominance through benign condescension.”

Indigenous people are stripped of their history of agency and the truth of their humanity through a seemingly benign campaign by European American academics to overcompensate for a feeling of unfair advantage through “fate”, by mythologizing the indigenous person as a symbol and idea, rather than recognizing earlier human occupants of this land with honesty and honoring their true history.

Instead, it just reinforces the concept of inherent White superiority and a natural destiny as victors, rather than just being human migrants in “the right place at the right time” to take advantage of a series of unfortunate events for or the collapsing civilizations of fellow human beings.

Last edited:

ARose

Established
Something else people have to remember is that up until the industrial revolution of 1860, New England American life for most but the wealthiest, was very similar to indigenous life with the exception of building traditions.

Most European Americans still lived in crude log cabins and on homestead family farms that mimicked indigenous lay outs, with primitive out buildings and outdoor cooking and cleaning spaces.

American homes were not overwhelmed with material abundance and daily food was still mostly limited to kitchen garden production and homestead sustainability (root cellars, liquor and vinegar preserved foods, salt preserved foods, smoked and dried meats to be reconstituted in stews and pies).

ARose

Established
The supposed log cabin birthplace of Abraham Lincoln:
1665261028939.jpeg
A reconstructed Iroqois longhouse:
1665261161825.jpeg

What about the term " honest injun" and where does that derive from anyway? Are we expected to believe all Indians were honest people with godlike principles? I say just like there are crooked white people there was crooked Indians. But because crooked white people were more experienced and advanced than crooked Indians it was inevitable the crooked white people would end up with the prime real estate and Indians would end up on reservations. BTW Jimi Hendrix wrote a song called " I Don't Live Today " about the Indian life on reservations which appears on his first album. Since he was part Cherokee he had special insight. Also Mark Lindsay who was the lead singer of the band Paul Revere and the Raiders released a song called " Indian Reservation " about his life as a child growing up on a reservation. The single became a top ten hit. I think one lesson that should be learned from this is never take a knife to a gunfight even if you are highly skilled with knives and bow and arrows. And that is why I believe the second amendment is so important because if they take guns away Americans will all be treated like they treated the Indians. We will all be placed on Covid Reservations. And that is why all races regardless of their creed and color must band together to end the assault that is taking place against the second amendment. He who has the guns makes the rules until he who has more guns comes along. Also let's not forget the classic line : White man speaketh with forked tongue. Also someone has to be held accountable for all the buffalo that once roamed the United States and now barely exist. Perhaps this was one of the Earliest Works of the Chosen Ones since it was unbridled greed and do anything for a profit mentality who knows?

.....On the surface, it may seem that there's not much to criticise about a holiday based on gratitude and eating - especially when it's accompanied by absurd spectacles like the presidential turkey pardon.
But a glance at the historical context of Thanksgiving reveals a thoroughly nauseating affair. ...

Land grabs and massacres

For starters, as University of Texas journalism professor Robert Jensen reminds us in a dispatch on the AlterNet website, the very term "thanksgiving" is saturated with disgrace.

By 1637, Jensen writes, Massachusetts Bay Colony governor John Winthrop "was proclaiming a thanksgiving for the successful massacre of hundreds of Pequot Indian men, women and children" - a bloody pattern that would "repeat itself across the continent until between 95 and 99 percent of American Indians had been exterminated".

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/thanksgiving-annual-genocide-whitewash-171120073022544.html
They celebrated being victorious in battle.

free2018

Star
.....On the surface, it may seem that there's not much to criticise about a holiday based on gratitude and eating - especially when it's accompanied by absurd spectacles like the presidential turkey pardon.
But a glance at the historical context of Thanksgiving reveals a thoroughly nauseating affair. ...

Land grabs and massacres

For starters, as University of Texas journalism professor Robert Jensen reminds us in a dispatch on the AlterNet website, the very term "thanksgiving" is saturated with disgrace.

By 1637, Jensen writes, Massachusetts Bay Colony governor John Winthrop "was proclaiming a thanksgiving for the successful massacre of hundreds of Pequot Indian men, women and children" - a bloody pattern that would "repeat itself across the continent until between 95 and 99 percent of American Indians had been exterminated".

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/thanksgiving-annual-genocide-whitewash-171120073022544.html
Great thread. When you look at the holiday even deeper, you realize that it’s impossible to discover thriving civilizations.

And when you go even deeper, you realize that many structures attributed to the US were here before 1776.

They reset the timeline here at least once and taught us a bunch of fictional stories.

I've also posted this video in the Canadians Unite another thread, but again, given the weekend, I think it's relevant. They estimate it might mean a million dollars for each indigenous Canadian. That's a down payment on a house in this province, which I'll be sure to make :D:

CANADIAN INDIGENOUS PEOPLE KICKING CROWN OFF LAND?! (1hr, 54mins)

polymoog

Superstar
What about the term " honest injun" and where does that derive from anyway? Are we expected to believe all Indians were honest people with godlike principles? I say just like there are crooked white people there was crooked Indians.
in earlier times, european settlers would trade with the indians, expecting all trades to be final. indian culture didnt work that way-- days after, the indians would demand their original item(s) back. this created the saying "indian giver".
as for ''honest indian'', its original meaning is opposite, as in indians were NOT honest and could not be trusted (again, from the perspective of white european culture).

in earlier times, european settlers would trade with the indians, expecting all trades to be final. indian culture didnt work that way-- days after, the indians would demand their original item(s) back. this created the saying "indian giver".
as for ''honest indian'', its original meaning is opposite, as in indians were NOT honest and could not be trusted (again, from the perspective of white european culture).
Indian Giver has also been the name of two pop songs. One by the Cowsills and one by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. I only mention this to show how pop culture can sometimes reflect certain things with people forgetting where the sayings came from originally.

ARose

Established
The phrase “Indian Giver” came from very different concepts of personal vs. collective property.

Many indigenous tribes had special community houses used by everyone for certain tasks and people made, for example, bowls or other tools and they remained in use by multiple tribal members. This wasn’t totally specific to tribe but it was something that you’d fine from the Mohegans to the Hopi, so it was something common to multiple indigenous ways of life.

The English and Dutch had very different traditions and attitudes about personal property at that time and except in the earliest period of settlement survival, the communal
spaces were for worship or meeting to manage society.

Objects were owned by individuals and families and if you didn’t ask permission to use something, to take it could be considered stealing.

Often, indigenous locals would allow English settlers to borrow communal objects with the expectation of getting them back and would help themselves to tools and objects from what could be considered private homes, with the expectation of bringing the object back when they were done with its use.

Settlers would find objects they thought were given as gifts, back on bowl racks/storage spaces in communal tribal buildings and couldn’t culturally comprehend why.

It was a matter of culture being “lost in translation.”

I see the main problem with Thanksgiving as a holiday is that it has been turned into something that wasn't originally intended. Now it is just another excuse to be gluttons and watch sports on television. How many people are actually thankful for anything? Same thing with Christmas. Now Christmas is just another marketing gimmick. About the only holiday that has maintained it's original integrity is Halloween. And it isn't even a legal holiday.

ARose

Established
I see the main problem with Thanksgiving as a holiday is that it has been turned into something that wasn't originally intended. Now it is just another excuse to be gluttons and watch sports on television. How many people are actually thankful for anything? Same thing with Christmas. Now Christmas is just another marketing gimmick. About the only holiday that has maintained it's original integrity is Halloween. And it isn't even a legal holiday.
I agree that taking time for a holiday tradition should be about honoring what’s meaningful, having special connections with loved ones and community.

Thanksgiving should be a time to truly reflect on God’s graciousness regardless of the challenges we are given for a greater purpose. We should be grateful for every moment of love, goodness and momentary relief from burden in this life.

ARose

Established
I also want to emphasize that I don’t think the settlers were always innocents themselves, that they weren’t lacking in empathy and cultural sensitivity about colonization, despite the situation. That’s not my alternative claim.

I just think the sophistication of the tribal systems and the agency of indigenous people is underplayed in these grievances.

Also, genocide and child murder is genocide and child murder and evil, regardless of who is doing it and what era it’s being done in. That’s why I gave the example of how wrong it would be to justify murdering someone just because they entered your country without permission.

I also want to emphasize that I don’t think the settlers were always innocents themselves, that they weren’t lacking in empathy and cultural sensitivity about colonization, despite the situation. That’s not my alternative claim.

I just think the sophistication of the tribal systems and the agency of indigenous people is underplayed in these grievances.

Also, genocide and child murder is genocide and child murder and evil, regardless of who is doing it and what era it’s being done in. That’s why I gave the example of how wrong it would be to justify murdering someone just because they entered your country without permission.
Also let's not forget the Aztecs and Incas and others had a habit of sacrificing virgins and probably slave labor.