Tenshinhan from Dragonball

Tubby Walters

Rookie
I know there's quite a bit of fan speculation about why Tien was so important early on but fell off the map. Seen plenty of youtube videos about it.

However, I have a theory I've not come across.

I think Tien was always supposed to be a play on the Chinese martial artist who dedicates his life to training, which he does of course, but it eventually became a joke by Toriyama to make fun of those type of characters. Kinda makes sense if you look at it that way, no?

I know Toriyama is famous for forgetting what he writes but maybe he didn't. Maybe it was meant to be a joke all along?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Ten was one of my favorite characters from the older arcs, if I reckon it was there when DB started to shift from wacky tales to tournament oriented fights. I think him and chiaotzu were just supossed to be odd and misterious characters from a rival school, older dragon ball was really colorful with weird characters. Nowadays everything are sayans or wathevers, the cast grew too big and he had to make cuts in favor to more popular ones.

Wasn't the joke character Yajirobi?

Maes17

Superstar
Ten was one of my favorite characters from the older arcs, if I reckon it was there when DB started to shift from wacky tales to tournament oriented fights. I think him and chiaotzu were just supossed to be odd and misterious characters from a rival school, older dragon ball was really colorful with weird characters. Nowadays everything are sayans or wathevers, the cast grew too big and he had to make cuts in favor to more popular ones.

Wasn't the joke character Yajirobi?
Yajirbobi cut off Vegeta’s tail. Who’s the joke now ;)

I’m on the Saiyan bandwagon.
When Goku first turned SSJ in the Frieza saga. Man I get an anime boner. That was epic back in my childhood.

When Vegeta worked his ass off, accepting that Goku was perhaps better. Then he soul searches.

I would say all that said. The supporting cast of DB are all joke characters. The saiyans run the show