Surviving R. Kelly documentary

Reading VC’s article regarding Aaliyah, I decided to watch the documentary “Surviving R. Kelly” to see what if I could find out about him. Not a follower or fan of either of their music, I vaguely knew about his involvement with Aaliyah in the ‘90s as well as the infamous tape with his “involvement” with a minor. Watching these segments, I could not believe the extent of abusive control over women, who were at some point, fans of his.

While I won’t go into too much into detail, I found some aspects that did stand out. Robert Kelly was sexually abused when he as a child, as was his younger brother, Carey. What astounded me is Robert’s legal team decided to throw Carey under the bus and claim that it was him in the sex tape video, not Robert! His older brother, Bruce Kelly, was also a piece of work! If you decide to watch it, or have watched the segments, you’ll know why. As seen in the documentary, he’s in a prison uniform - enough said.

His ex-wife, Andrea Kelly, I thought made a poignant remark. She said, “He wants to be perceived as the ultimate alpha-male when he’s really the runt of the litter”. Watching this, it becomes increasingly apparent as his (“alleged”) sexual demands and abuse are about control, developing a god-like complex. One psychologist said that a perpetrator might isolate an individual because they’re easier to abuse when they don’t have any resources. Interesting how the terms “social distancing” and “self-isolate” are part of the covid psy-op vernacular, isn’t it? Another psychologist also said that brainwashing is essentially psychological manipulation, which explains why many of these young girls seem to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome because many did not want to leave, or went back to him after being rescued by family members. Behaviour and actions that are prevalent in cults, which is a two-way street. As someone said, when the "leaders" are never told no, aren't held accountable, no one believes or even cares about the victims, the cycle of abuse continues.

Below are the links to the first four and the last segments of the documentary (unable to find to episode 5). The last episode I thought gave good advice on how to expose corruption and putting pressure on other organizations to boycott the “who” or even the “what” is perpetuating the wrong. Tarana Burke, the founder of #meetoo and Oronike Odelene, co-founder of #muteRKelly began what appear to be grassroots movements that eventually sullied Robert’s name and boycotted his music. With that, the momentum and awareness grew about R. Kelly’s abusive behaviour, as celebrities eventually jumped on the bandwagon against him. Although, I did find it somewhat ironic that John Legend was being interviewed since there is increasing evidence against his wife being involved with Jeffrey Epstein.

To date, the trial against Robert is in it’s third week of testimony:

Let’s hope this case, like Harvey Weinstein’s helps bring down, or at the very least, exposes what’s behind the scenes of popular music and culture. As one mother said, “What is done in the dark will always come to light”.

Surviving.R.Kelly.S01 - episodes 1 - 4

Surviving.R.Kelly.S01E06 (part 1 & 2)

queen82

Star
Reading VC’s article regarding Aaliyah, I decided to watch the documentary “Surviving R. Kelly” to see what if I could find out about him. Not a follower or fan of either of their music, I vaguely knew about his involvement with Aaliyah in the ‘90s as well as the infamous tape with his “involvement” with a minor. Watching these segments, I could not believe the extent of abusive control over women, who were at some point, fans of his.

While I won’t go into too much into detail, I found some aspects that did stand out. Robert Kelly was sexually abused when he as a child, as was his younger brother, Carey. What astounded me is Robert’s legal team decided to throw Carey under the bus and claim that it was him in the sex tape video, not Robert! His older brother, Bruce Kelly, was also a piece of work! If you decide to watch it, or have watched the segments, you’ll know why. As seen in the documentary, he’s in a prison uniform - enough said.

His ex-wife, Andrea Kelly, I thought made a poignant remark. She said, “He wants to be perceived as the ultimate alpha-male when he’s really the runt of the litter”. Watching this, it becomes increasingly apparent as his (“alleged”) sexual demands and abuse are about control, developing a god-like complex. One psychologist said that a perpetrator might isolate an individual because they’re easier to abuse when they don’t have any resources. Interesting how the terms “social distancing” and “self-isolate” are part of the covid psy-op vernacular, isn’t it? Another psychologist also said that brainwashing is essentially psychological manipulation, which explains why many of these young girls seem to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome because many did not want to leave, or went back to him after being rescued by family members. Behaviour and actions that are prevalent in cults, which is a two-way street. As someone said, when the "leaders" are never told no, aren't held accountable, no one believes or even cares about the victims, the cycle of abuse continues.

Below are the links to the first four and the last segments of the documentary (unable to find to episode 5). The last episode I thought gave good advice on how to expose corruption and putting pressure on other organizations to boycott the “who” or even the “what” is perpetuating the wrong. Tarana Burke, the founder of #meetoo and Oronike Odelene, co-founder of #muteRKelly began what appear to be grassroots movements that eventually sullied Robert’s name and boycotted his music. With that, the momentum and awareness grew about R. Kelly’s abusive behaviour, as celebrities eventually jumped on the bandwagon against him. Although, I did find it somewhat ironic that John Legend was being interviewed since there is increasing evidence against his wife being involved with Jeffrey Epstein.

To date, the trial against Robert is in it’s third week of testimony:

Let’s hope this case, like Harvey Weinstein’s helps bring down, or at the very least, exposes what’s behind the scenes of popular music and culture. As one mother said, “What is done in the dark will always come to light”.

Surviving.R.Kelly.S01 - episodes 1 - 4

Surviving.R.Kelly.S01E06 (part 1 & 2)
didn't know he was sexually abused..

Do u know how many people in that industry are abusers.

David Bowie, jagger, Elvis all did similar things to r Kelly.

He clearly upset the wrong people. Others seem to get a pass

didn't know he was sexually abused..
Yes, and as I mentioned so was his younger brother so it's evident that not all victims become perpetrators. I can't recall if it was the same individual who abused both of them but I think Carey said he was around six or seven when it happened.

One of R. Kelly's victims actually said that was one of the ways he connected with her because they would both discuss how they were sexually abused when they were young, and she thought it was his way of showing his vulnerability towards her. Sadly, she trusted him and became a victim once again.

sickgirl15

Established
didn't know about David Bowie and Mick Jagger being abuser ..and i think there's many more
“Thanks” to unequal, sexist decades of conditioning most males to aim for only the purely superficial goals in life such as money, being unapologetic womanizers, promiscuous, dominating, controlling, pompous, arrogant, abusive, racist, ageist, violent “alpha males,” and unjustly being laughed at and belittled in mainstream bullshit society if they dare to be introspective, empathetic, creative, emotional, unconventional, sometimes “vulnerable,” emotional, spiritual, anti-sexism/racism, pro-animal rights, pro peace/humanism men who genuinely care about the world becoming a better place. Does this really make any sense to anyone? I myself many moons ago had no choice to temporarily work in a soul-selling, superficial business only due to homelessness and running away to an exciting city; naive as hell but with innocent starry eyes. Yes, I made loads of cash, but quickly felt I was going against my true calling (writing & art) and felt immense guilt. I developed a huge drug habit to self medicate myself. (I’m female). I was a professional liar eventually (was taught this by others who I had to give a % of my money to for my jobs. My life quickly included Gucci, Fendi, travel, endless drugs, “upscale” everything. Only problem was I was dying inside spiritually. It’s not encouraged as much for us women to become pro con artists, and I don’t understand as an empathetic human being how certain men (and sadly some women) acquire fame and/or fortune and choose and revel their entire business careers in abusing the less fortunate such as R Kelly. I am a r*pe/twice domestic violence/intense sexual harassment survivor. (I always fought back and was brave enough to bring those men to justice who hurt me). Still, being a former victim of trauma is no excuse to traumatize and abuse other innocent people/animals. I know personally MANY men and women who have been through MUCH worse trauma than myself. We didn’t choose to be serial killers or rapists! I went to psychotherapy instead and refuse to allow those pathetic bastards who tried to ruin me to control/ruin my present life or future. I’m stronger as ever today as a proud, tough (if and when needed) bisexual/creative/anti racist/sexist strong woman! Thanks for reading. Love and healing to all.