Suicide & Euthanasia

the only thing that stops me from dying is knowing i might go to hell, that and abit of fear of the "unknown".

If i truly believed i moved on, id probably have done it by now, what im saying is, your beliefs shape your action, to some ending there life is not the doom we may believe it is. i think they are probably wrong tho, but i dont think anyone could kill themselves really believing they will end up in hell? could they?

Lisa

Superstar
Isn’t it gods decision when people die? Aren’t all these extraordinary measures like life support contradicting gods will?
When sin entered the world through the disobedience of Adam and Eve...so did death. I would think good people would want people to live..and dr’s have been taught to save peoples lives not kill them off.

I remember a girl who was put on life support but the drs told her mom that she was brain dead and they should take her off the ventilators and they wouldn’t..she lived for years on it because of it but I really think she was dead when the dr’s told the mom. Anyway...she lived like that for awhile because the mom couldn’t bring herself to say it was true...and the girl did end up dying. Sometimes the ventilator isn’t enough and you are going to die anyway.

Lisa

Superstar
the only thing that stops me from dying is knowing i might go to hell, that and abit of fear of the "unknown".

If i truly believed i moved on, id probably have done it by now, what im saying is, your beliefs shape your action, to some ending there life is not the doom we may believe it is. i think they are probably wrong tho, but i dont think anyone could kill themselves really believing they will end up in hell? could they?
Can you get forgiveness for suicide before you die? I think that if you talked to God about your suicidal tendencies He would help you in the here and now...

Idk...when I was suicidal...I just wanted to be out of here and didn’t really give much thought to what might happen to me on the other side..that wasn’t real to me.

justjess

Superstar
When sin entered the world through the disobedience of Adam and Eve...so did death. I would think good people would want people to live..and dr’s have been taught to save peoples lives not kill them off.

I remember a girl who was put on life support but the drs told her mom that she was brain dead and they should take her off the ventilators and they wouldn’t..she lived for years on it because of it but I really think she was dead when the dr’s told the mom. Anyway...she lived like that for awhile because the mom couldn’t bring herself to say it was true...and the girl did end up dying. Sometimes the ventilator isn’t enough and you are going to die anyway.
So life and death is only up to god when we are talking about ending a life? Not when we are talking about artificially extending it?

What are you so afraid of death for Lisa?

Can you get forgiveness for suicide before you die? I think that if you talked to God about your suicidal tendencies He would help you in the here and now...

Idk...when I was suicidal...I just wanted to be out of here and didn’t really give much thought to what might happen to me on the other side..that wasn’t real to me.
was that before u were a christian?

Lisa

Superstar
was that before u were a christian?
It started when I was in middle school. I think I had been saved as a young girl..or maybe I just heard about Jesus at a church my parents allowed me to go to a few times when they brought their bus around our neighborhood..but my family didn’t take me to church so I didn’t really know much about God but I always would think that Jesus was my friend.
Anyway...I had suicidal thoughts for a lot of my life even while I became a Christian and started learning about God. He didn’t heal me right away of those thoughts and one of my last thoughts about suicide I remember was I was driving and thought about driving my car over the bridge onto the highway below and the thought that came to my mind was you would kill those people? And that shocked me..I didn’t even think of anyone else that I would have hurt..and for some reason that was the last time I really thought about suicide...though I know God was at work on my soul.

It started when I was in middle school. I think I had been saved as a young girl..or maybe I just heard about Jesus at a church my parents allowed me to go to a few times when they brought their bus around our neighborhood..but my family didn’t take me to church so I didn’t really know much about God but I always would think that Jesus was my friend.
Anyway...I had suicidal thoughts for a lot of my life even while I became a Christian and started learning about God. He didn’t heal me right away of those thoughts and one of my last thoughts about suicide I remember was I was driving and thought about driving my car over the bridge onto the highway below and the thought that came to my mind was you would kill those people? And that shocked me..I didn’t even think of anyone else that I would have hurt..and for some reason that was the last time I really thought about suicide...though I know God was at work on my soul.
I have felt very similar, im sorry.

Lurker

Star
.he moved on yet he was the one who decided Teri’s fate...that’s horrendous right there..and he stayed as husband for the money she had due to her injury..which is also reprehensible...how can such a man be left to decided the fate of a woman who if she died..he’d get the rest of the money?
If something happened to me and my wife "moved on", she'd still be the only one I'd trust to make decisions for me. And I'd want her to have the money. Plus my stockpile of TP.

Lisa

Superstar
If something happened to me and my wife "moved on", she'd still be the only one I'd trust to make decisions for me. And I'd want her to have the money. Plus my stockpile of TP.
I hope she’s not gonna be in it for the tp...but seriously, the man moved on and there was money involved which is why I don’t believe he had her best interests at heart...her parents wanted her to live and they were the only ones visiting her. If he cared about her, couldn’t he at least visit her? Divorce her because he moved on and let her parents have custody. But he couldn’t otherwise he’d lose the money.

Lurker

Star
the man moved on and there was money involved which is why I don’t believe he had her best interests at hear
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is about the money.
If he cared about her, couldn’t he at least visit her?
It hurt when I would visit my dad (Alzheimer's). I didn't have a great relationship with him, but it was better than not being known. I can't imagine brain death would be any better.
Divorce her because he moved on and let her parents have custody.
You don't know how she felt about her parents, he probably did. I would rather my wife smother me with a pillow than give custody of me to my birth family.

Lisa

Superstar
You don't know how she felt about her parents, he probably did. I would rather my wife smother me with a pillow than give custody of me to my birth family.
:oops::(
Sorry to hear that.

It hurt when I would visit my dad (Alzheimer's). I didn't have a great relationship with him, but it was better than not being known. I can't imagine brain death would be any better.
The video I saw of Teri Shiavo..she seemed better than I expected in that there was life in her. Was it humane to kill someone though who didn’t have the life we are used to but did have life? And in the way it was done? Because why? She didn’t think she’d like to live that way yet she had no idea what it would be if she were alive to live that way? It’s too bad that we couldn’t have got her opinion..however I don’t really believe she would choose to be killed.
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is about the money.
The sad part is that some people are. I’m glad you have such confidence in your wife! :)

shankara

Star
Euthanasia or suicide and removing the feeding tube from someone literally incapable of feeding themselves is not the same thing. I was pretty shocked to hear that the Dutch allowed a 29 year old woman to be euthanized due to suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder. Not even going into the fact that this disorder is supposed to improve in the 30's and 40's, the whole idea of killing someone just because their mind is not working "correctly" is absurd. I'm sure there are some very severe cases of schizophrenia where a person is literally in a terrible delirium all the time, cosmic paranoia, and is really genuinely suffering a great deal. Or even catatonic, I can't imagine what people in that depth of suffering are experiencing. Or extreme autistics who can't look after themselves and have to be restrained to stop aggressivity. In these cases, I don't know, perhaps a case could be made if the person were capable of any kind of consent, but by the very nature of their condition they aren't.

BPD? As a reason to kill a 29 year old woman? Seems extreme to me. Suicide is a personal choice, one that carries some karma and not one that should be encouraged, especially given the suffering it causes for family etc. At the same time, I can see that there could be an argument that it is a personal choice. It's not really anyone's place to impose their religion on others, including their beliefs about suicide. If soldier's can go and risk their lives for often completely absurd and even wicked causes, why should a person not be permitted to cause their own death outside of that situation? Seems somehow hypocritical to me, though at the same I would say that risking one's life for a stupid cause is never something that should be encouraged, and in an ideal world would be prohibited.

Yet removing a feeding tube from someone? The person is no longer alive in any meaningful sense, their life is being sustained by totally artificial means. With that amount of brain damage they're effectively gone, it's only out of attachment that people can't simply let them go.

I also object to how euthanasia and abortion are conflated by pro-life groups as if they are the same thing. Even when just a clump of cells, a fetus is a potentially viable existence. If the child is going to have some utterly crippling disability which will make its life essentially not worth living, ok perhaps it can be argued that this is no different from a person in a permanent vegetative state. But removing the feeding tube from someone being sustained artificially is nothing like destroying what can potentially become a complete and self-sustaining human life.

EDIT: I meant to say that while suicide is a personal choice, demanding that someone else facilitate it i.e. euthanasia, is not the same thing.

Lisa

Superstar
I can believe because I certainly would.
We will never know about her...and maybe not about you either...

Thank you. She is a great person. She may move on, but she would never base decisions on money. Nobody knows me better...she would know what I would want.
She sounds like one...especially since you can speak so highly of her.

redqueen

Superstar
this poor husband and daughter
I couldn't imagine having to stay out and Hearing my
Loved one going through that

Thank the Good for this family trying to bring
more awareness to a side of this "procedure"
most don't Hear about

Terri schiavo's feeding tube being removed
That was barbaric, in my opinion. Letting the poor woman starve to death, so messed up. Just because the doctors say she can't feel anything, like if doctors are never wrong...

Active euthanasia is wrong, in my opinion, but i think having someone slowly starve to death is even more horrifying. I mean, they're both bad, but something about this case upset me, and back then at the time this was current news i was a pretty hardened individual.

If the husband was so burdened by her then he should have given custody to her parents. I do think he was in it for the money, and he didnt even have the decency to wait until the poor woman died naturally to get another woman. I can't believe people are sticking up for him. I feel so bad for her parents, it must have felt awful to not be able to protect their daughter.

Floridafoot

Established
That was barbaric, in my opinion. Letting the poor woman starve to death, so messed up. Just because the doctors say she can't feel anything, like if doctors are never wrong...

Active euthanasia is wrong, in my opinion, but i think having someone slowly starve to death is even more horrifying. I mean, they're both bad, but something about this case upset me, and back then at the time this was current news i was a pretty hardened individual.

If the husband was so burdened by her then he should have given custody to her parents. I do think he was in it for the money, and he didnt even have the decency to wait until the poor woman died naturally to get another woman. I can't believe people are sticking up for him. I feel so bad for her parents, it must have felt awful to not be able to protect their daughter.
I remember this horrific story. So sad. I cannot understand how this was ever permitted to happen. This wasn't euthanasia, this was a slow, torturous death. I agree with you about the husband. The parents would have taken over caring for her had he just signed the proper paperwork. Obviously his motivations were selfish. Shame on everyone involved with that poor woman's final days on this earth.

Flarepath

Star
When my 76-yr-old mother was hospitalised in 1999 with complications after her thyroid packed up, she was like a vegetable; she was breathing and her heart was beating but her brain had shut down and she was to all intents and purposes a living corpse.
So when the young doctor said to me "It might be best to stop medication and let her slip peacefully away" I replied "Yes, go ahead", so they switched her off and she slipped away in the night.
If I ever become a vegetable I hope a similar enlightened doctor will switch me off too..:)