Suicide & Euthanasia

manama

Star
So because he can’t eat himself then he’s not worth the effort...yet a homeless person who can’t get themselves out of homelessness is worth the effort of feeding them for their lifetimes. Go figure...

The person in the article is at the mercy of caregivers...the homeless are not.

It’s amazing how you can say who is worthy to be fed and who’s not and that’s ok. But when I say that feeding the homeless isn’t helping them, then that is totally wrong. :rolleyes:
So you won't give to the poor because they can just go get rich by themselves? Nice to know your Christian values Lisa.

Scars512

Established
I think we have to get to a place in society where everyone thinks about these kinds of questions while they are of sound mind and has a living will in place to handle these kinds of decisions. I support the concept of euthanasia because I see no need to prolong suffering in people who are terminally ill or in a vegetative state (not for mental illness, though). However, I also know human beings well enough to know that without strict regulations and oversight, there would be plenty of people who would seek to terminate the life of someone who may very well want heroic measures taken simply because they stand to inherit money or they don't want the responsibility of being a caretaker or simply because they have different views on the matter. I've seen fights between family members over whether or not to pull life support -- so it can become a messy situation pretty quickly.

A living will is the most sensible solution and then legalizing euthanasia only for those patients who have said living will in place is probably the best we can do. And we should be having these conversations with loved ones so that they know what our wishes are. We should also honor those wishes even if they run contrary to our own values.

Lisa

Superstar
He was dead for 11 years. You can't expect a dead organ to come back to life by magic after 11 years. Failed kidneys don't recover, you need a kidney transplant. If it was his heart, you'd get him a heart transplant but brain transplant isn't a thing. That person was dead.
I think the girl in the article I showed you was dead..this man was alive..he had to be denied food and water for 9 days before he actually died.

Lisa

Superstar
So you won't give to the poor because they can just go get rich by themselves? Nice to know your Christian values Lisa.
Um...no, I keep saying and I have said that giving food to the homeless doesn’t help them, it only keeps them homeless...

manama

Star
Um...no, I keep saying and I have said that giving food to the homeless doesn’t help them, it only keeps them homeless...
How does giving food to someone poor and homeless, keep them poor and homeless? Many homeless people have jobs, many of it are people running away from abusive households, some of it are college students who have to choose between living in a car or paying for college. Hell there are homeless veterans.

justjess

Superstar
—A man who was in a vegetative state for 11 years who was at the center of a bitter dispute that divided his family and French courts, has died. Vincent Lambert, 42, died in a hospital nine days after doctors stopped providing artificial feeding and hydration, ending years of legal flip-flopping over whether to keep him alive.

Lisa

Superstar
A Dutch doctor has been acquitted of breaking euthanasia laws in a landmark case over ending the life of a 74-year-old woman.

The unnamed doctor had been accused by prosecutors of failing to consult the woman who had Alzheimer's.

But a judge today ruled that a declaration written by the patient four years earlier had sufficed.

The Hague District Court heard that the patient had to be held down by her family after a lethal dose of a drug was administered by the doctor.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7453323/Doctor-acquitted-breaking-euthanasia-laws-landmark-case-ending-life-74-year-old-woman.html

No, mom...you said you wanted to die and you are gonna die!! Very scary stuff, be careful of what you think you might want when you can’t make your own decisions anymore.

Vixy

Star
I really, really, REALLY wish there was legal euthanasia in my country.

Vixy

Star
This is what JAH says about (drug addiction and) people who commit suicide in The Way home or face The Fire:

"13:74 Temporary escape, from reality, using drugs to take you into another little world, separate
from the real world, where pain is not so sharp, is a FOOL’s paradise. The problems are still there
when you come straight/sober, only worse, which can then lead to more drugs, for more escape,
leading to drug-addiction, or alcoholism, and total surrender, if not controlled.
13:75 Drug-addiction and alcoholism are the same thing, except that they refer to different types of
drugs, both of which can kill your body. Alcoholism and drug-addiction are the coward’s way out,
by surrendering to evil, and then hiding, permanently, in their separate world, where there is less
pain. It is also very selfish, because they pass their pain, and problems, on, to those around them.
13:76 There is NO escape, and you only make things worse for yourselves, and those around you,
who love or care for you. If you kill your body, God sends you back again, into another body, and
punishes you for having done it. There is NO escape!

13:77 You have to FACE your problems, ADMIT your weaknesses and faults, to YOURSELF and
to God, and overcome (Rev. 2:26) your problems, and pay your Karmic debts. Admit that you are
not perfect, and lose your ego, and the pain will go with it. If you were perfect you would not be

81 ARMAGEDDON SURVIVAL-KIT CD available from http://JAHTruth.net/ask

here. No-one else is perfect either, in fact, they are probably worse than you, but their egos would
never let them admit it, to you. They don’t need escapism, because they are happy, being bad.
13:78 Then ask God, with humility, to help you to overcome your faults and weaknesses, and put
on God’s Armour, and FIGHT your weaknesses, with His guidance, and overcome them; solve your
problems, by finding the solutions, and make your world bearable. If you do that, you will gain
(earn) some spiritual self-respect; through the victories, that God has helped YOU to win; and learn
to like the person, that God has helped you to become. Remember though, ALWAYS to remain
humble, because you could never have won alone."

Committing suicide is therefore making a BIG mistake, because when someone does that then they are causing themselves to go backwards, instead of going forwards and God sends them back again and punishes them for having done it.

Therefore, committing suicide is NOT the answer and anyone who mistakingly thinks that they will be able to escape this evil world through committing suicide, has been deceived, because they will not escape it. They will just be sent back here, again.

The only answer therefore is that we all have to face up to our individual challenges and difficulties in this life and strive daily to make positive steps of progress, forwards.

"One day at a time", to paraphrase Jesus. The only Way out is through.
Karmic debts? That's not christian. Where exactly is that written in the bible?

Last edited:
Extremely complex topic and requires a lot of considerations.

Certainly requires firstly defining the principles in which suicide & euthanasia violate. It's really not a question that gets enough serious consideration, not merely as an extremity towards the nature of suffering but towards mere existence itself (hence the many things written about this within the existentialist and absurdist philosophy movements).

The reason the topic is so controversial is that is is always flipside and ambiguous, for the reason that there is no solid logical answer to it, whether one is a Theist, Atheist, Nihilist or a believer in objective meaning/purpose/morals etc.
The thing with euthanasia is that the dichotomy is horrific either way: Excess of suffering vs Death. If there is a positive answer there, let me know.
If life has a purpose (clearly many of us do believe so) and one is unable to even live the most basic aspects of life, let alone serve that purpose - then keeping them alive becomes immoral.
When it comes to Suicide, we have to realize how much things around us do impact us, and how little regard we often have for the well-being of others. In many situations, I can't blame the person committing Suicide, sometimes people are backed into a corner. On a philosophical level, it hardly matters at all if: Life has no meaning (and is just suffering and torment) or existence itself (God, in some people's view) is evil.
In one potential dichotomy.
You have to factor into consideration the many varying views on this. Condemnation people on either side (Suicide and Euthanasia) is never the productive thing to do. It's never a pleasant topic, perhaps because it actually is one of the more 'real' topics out there.

Just think, you have one minute to convince a person that life is worth living, what do you even say? not even in the situation of the two above cases (Suicide and Euthanasia) but existence, being, life itself. Do you ever actually think about this? or do you distract yourself with things to ignore the question of why you choose to live?

See: life is full of big, hard, often unanswerable questions.