Suicide & Euthanasia

yannick

Veteran
What is there to address? Before the disease robs you of your memories and basic functions you should have the right to professionally end it. Until there is a cure it's only right to allow it, it is the worst way to die that I can think of. As I said earlier I'll do it one way or the other if I was ever diagnosed, I should be allowed to do it with professional help is all I'm saying.
I think I had Alzheimer's and I got cured recently through constancy in my five daily prayers since five years repeatedly without omission.

I wasn't diagnosed with it but I read about the symptoms and was quite well convinced that I had it so I diagnosed myself with it.

Throughout the numerous personas I've had online here, people know I had a tendency to like each and every post without reading much.

Attachments

Again, it is rarely so black and white-- and that is according to mayo's site, among others (eg healthline). As I said before-- you may want to amend your requirements.

Nevertheless, you would have to make legal arrangements long before, since you would not be legally competent to choose with Alzheimer's.

Mayo still lists the average death range from diagnosis as 3 to 11 years.

Your second link indicates that you can't even by diagnosed with it until it is already in stage 4 where severe problems begin, and that can last in a varied time frame before progressing.

moderate, or middle stage 2 to 10 years
severe, or late stage1 to 3 years

No matter how long the "moderate" stage lasts, your future is inevitably this

7a: Speech is limited to six words or fewer. Your doctor will need to repeat questions during the interview.
7b: Speech declines to only one recognizable word.
7c: Speed is lost.
7d: They’ll be unable to sit up independently.
7e: Grim facial movements replace smiles.
7f: They’ll no longer be able to hold their head up.

Body movements will become more rigid and cause severe pain. About 40 percent of people with Alzheimer’s also form contractures, or shortening and hardening of muscles, tendons, and other tissues. They’ll also develop infantile reflexes like sucking.

Stage four is bad enough, I wouldn't want to experience stage 5 or 6 let alone what happens in 7. You should be able to legally and professionally exit this life before it gets to that.

justjess

Superstar
My grandma has been living with it for over a decade... we put her in a home in 2012 she has now completely lost her ability to speak, can’t hold up her head or open her eyes, has Long had no idea who she or anyone else even is...

I honestly don’t even think “she” is even still in that body.. she knew my grandpa, aunt and dad passed away with no one telling her and at point in time that she didn’t even know her own name. I can only imagine she got that knowledge from somewhere other than this world - maybe sort of half in and half out idk... but I’d hate to think her soul was just trapped in there and I don’t think it is anymore at this point.

(Those deaths happened between 2013-15 and while she was severe then she has become way worse since)

My grandma has been living with it for over a decade... we put her in a home in 2012 she has now completely lost her ability to speak, can’t hold up her head or open her eyes, has Long had no idea who she or anyone else even is...

I honestly don’t even think “she” is even still in that body.. she knew my grandpa, aunt and dad passed away with no one telling her and at point in time that she didn’t even know her own name. I can only imagine she got that knowledge from somewhere other than this world - maybe sort of half in and half out idk... but I’d hate to think her soul was just trapped in there and I don’t think it is anymore at this point.

(Those deaths happened between 2013-15 and while she was severe then she has become way worse since)

My Grandma was in the "moderate" stage and she was still pretty much gone, that's no way to live. She died of unrelated surgery complications and that was a mercy.

The second part of your post is really spooky. Once your brain is decimated to that point, anything that is "you" is gone so one way or the other you are right, that's not "her" in there.

Anyway no one should have to go through that, it's what terrifies me the most to be honest, and I'm sorry it happened to your Grandma.

mecca

Superstar
The second part of your post is really spooky. Once your brain is decimated to that point, anything that is "you" is gone so one way or the other you are right, that's not "her" in there.
Yeah, people's brains are what hold their entire personality and sense of self so when something goes wrong with it, you can lose your whole identity. It's really scary.

AD HOC

Established
This doesn't answer your question exactly, but I'm curious-- why would you bear the guilt of someone else's actions?

I once had a friend, and he committed suicide because his Catholic parents had disowned him for being gay. He felt guilty.

elsbet

Superstar
Mayo still lists the average death range from diagnosis as 3 to 11 years.

Your second link indicates that you can't even by diagnosed with it until it is already in stage 4 where severe problems begin, and that can last in a varied time frame before progressing.

moderate, or middle stage 2 to 10 years
severe, or late stage1 to 3 years

No matter how long the "moderate" stage lasts, your future is inevitably this

7a: Speech is limited to six words or fewer. Your doctor will need to repeat questions during the interview.
7b: Speech declines to only one recognizable word.
7c: Speed is lost.
7d: They’ll be unable to sit up independently.
7e: Grim facial movements replace smiles.
7f: They’ll no longer be able to hold their head up.

Body movements will become more rigid and cause severe pain. About 40 percent of people with Alzheimer’s also form contractures, or shortening and hardening of muscles, tendons, and other tissues. They’ll also develop infantile reflexes like sucking.

Stage four is bad enough, I wouldn't want to experience stage 5 or 6 let alone what happens in 7. You should be able to legally and professionally exit this life before it gets to that.
Yeah... you know, life itself is terminal.

There are actually two "Moderate" stages, the first of which has low key effects... and if three to ELEVEN years is not varied to you, then there's little point to this discussion.

The gist of it all--
Your bottom line is that one *should* be able to off themselves in that case, by someone elses hand, which is absurd because the disease (as shown) varies widely. Your demand, not for legalization, but full Public Approval is the most unreasonable part-- do you also think doctors should be forced to comply with your wishes? Even if they feel it is Murder?

Yeah... you know, life itself is terminal.

There are actually two "Moderate" stages, the first of which has low key effects... and if three to ELEVEN years is not varied to you, then there's little point to this discussion.

The gist of it all--
Your bottom line is that one *should* be able to off themselves in that case, by someone elses hand, which is absurd because the disease (as shown) varies widely. Your demand, not for legalization, but full Public Approval is the most unreasonable part-- do you also think doctors should be forced to comply with your wishes? Even if they feel it is Murder?

According to your second source you can't even be diagnosed until this stage
Stage 4 lasts about two years and marks the beginning of diagnosable Alzheimer’s disease. You or your loved one will have more trouble with complex but everyday tasks. Mood changes such as withdrawal and denial are more evident. Decreased emotional response is also frequent, especially in a challenging situation.
New signs of decline that appear in stage 4 may include:

• decreasing awareness of current or recent events
  • losing memory of personal history
  • trouble with handling finances and bills
  • inability to count backward from 100 by 7s

So you already start to lose your identity. I said plainly that it is varied, but the end result is always going to be the same. You should have the ability to go out painlessly before you get to the later stages where it is nothing but suffering. Who cares if 3-11 eleven years is varied? They aren't going to be good years.

Why do you keep bringing up " full Public support"? All I said was it should be legal, and no if a doctor doesn't want to do it then you find one who will.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
According to your second source you can't even be diagnosed until this stage
Stage 4 lasts about two years and marks the beginning of diagnosable Alzheimer’s disease. You or your loved one will have more trouble with complex but everyday tasks. Mood changes such as withdrawal and denial are more evident. Decreased emotional response is also frequent, especially in a challenging situation.
New signs of decline that appear in stage 4 may include:

• decreasing awareness of current or recent events
  • losing memory of personal history
  • trouble with handling finances and bills
  • inability to count backward from 100 by 7s

So you already start to lose your identity. I said plainly that it is varied, but the end result is always going to be the same. You should have the ability to go out painlessly before you get to the later stages where it is nothing but suffering. Who cares if 3-11 eleven years is varied? They aren't going to be good years.

Why do you keep bringing up " full Public support"? All I said was it should be legal, and no if a doctor doesn't want to do it then you find one who will.
Because you copped to it. Two thumbs up, I believe.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
I have little to add, because most of the thing's I had to say were already posted before besides this:

Once when I was a teenager in school some guy asked about this suicide question to our local religious counselor. She said that it was hard to tell excatly if somebody was damned to hell because imagine that if someone hung himself (like my cousin who wanted to be a woman), it takes some time to die and you cant really be sure that the person regreted doing it in their final moments.

aaand another cousin of mine said that the only reason she hasn't commited suicide already is because she is afraid of being cast into hell.

Todd

Star
Quite a few years ago my wife’s pain levels were so bad that she researched and prayed about euthanasia. I didn’t know that she was contemplating it at all and then one day she talked to me about it. I understood why and I didn’t get upset with her but when she saw my reaction of how I would feel after she was gone she reconsidered.

Neither of us believe her salvation would have been in jeopardy. Her reason for not going through with it was because of my reaction and not wanting to lose her. We prayed and sought new doctors and medical approaches and today while she has constant pain it is manageable.

Because of the pain meds she had it would have been very easy for her to self overdose and do it without any help at all.

As far as Alzheimer’s goes, we have quite a few clients with it that we have taken care of. From are own experience the proper care and interaction can make a world of difference for someone who is dealing with it.

My wife is very skilled and experienced with it and I have personally seen her transform combatative patients in just a few weeks by knowing how to interact and care for them. It’s not easy and I don’t have the patience or grace for it, but it is possible.

Wigi

Veteran
Am I the last one who believes suicide is never right because Satan seeks to destroy life which means suicide serve his purpose?

Maybe i'm wrong but I think most of those who commit suicide don't really want to do that but they wanted a solution for their problems and they believed that death was the better solution.

As a christian, I believe God can change evil into a good then suicide is never a good option.

I understand when non-believers believe suicide isn't an issue but I've always thought it was the worst kind of evil for some people to kill themselves so they could escape justice.
I don't think it's an act of cowardice though but an act of pride and it's interesting to see how the Bible says that people will be proud and others will seek death in the end times.

About Euthanasia, I can understand why it could be used under certains circumstances but I feel uneasy when people defend policies that were practiced in Nazi Germany.

What truly amaze me it's the fact that TPTB succeed to implement in our heads this culture of death in the name of 'personal rights' so we could defend their agenda for them.

Am I the only one who believes it's strange to see how in this day and age, the destroyer made us believe that we are helpless, that our life is miserable and the sole 'dignity' we could have it's when we choose how we die?

You don't have the right to disobey the society but you have the right to pay so you could die if you're not down with that, it's your sole freedom. I'm fascinated to see that we're about to live in this kind of society.

When I wasn't a christian, I agreed with most of your views but now I've realised that speaking against this culture of death is resistance.

sim hae

Established
Israel means overcomer.
an overcomer ≠ someone who ends up giving up.

If you don't want to live with Alzheimer's then just don't request to be taken care of.
The disease will take care of cutting your life short all by itself, because death is inevitable if you have a debilitating disease and no one watching over you. There's a ton of ways you can die just in your own home, if your short term memory is not working. Think about it...

yannick

Veteran
Israel means overcomer.
an overcomer ≠ someone who ends up giving up.

If you don't want to live with Alzheimer's then just don't request to be taken care of.
The disease will take care of cutting your life short all by itself, because death is inevitable if you have a debilitating disease and no one watching over you. There's a ton of ways you can die just in your own home, if your short term memory is not working. Think about it...
Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

The name Israel is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Israel is:

May God prevail. He struggles with God. God perseveres everything and contends all. In the bible when Jacob was in his nineties as a token of blessing God changed his name to Israel.

Israel – SheKnows

https://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/israel/

Israel.jpg

yannick

Veteran
I don't think it's an act of cowardice though but an act of pride and it's interesting to see how the Bible says that people will be proud and others will seek death in the end times.