Suicide & Euthanasia

I wanted to create this thread because on the new abortion thread people invoked it as 'slippery-slope' argument against it.

First I want to ask this question of Christians on the board, if you are saved under your definition, what happens to people who commit suicide? I know the RCC is against it and believes that its an automatic ticket to hell. I'm not wholly sure on how other groups approach the topic as the fundamentalist church I was raised in didn't go into suicide and salvation (too uncomfortable) but I do know they oppose Euthanasia due to the Terri Schiavo incident and how they responded to it

Actually I am interested in what any other practitioner of religion has to say about suicide.

I support Euthanasia. If I am diagnosed with a terminal illness I should have the right to exit without suffering. If I ever get diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I will kill myself one way or the other, and I would hope that I could do it professionally.

Now of course the government or some other body should not be able make that call for you. This is entirely an individual right, I want to make that clear. This would absolutely have to be codified and protected that only you or your selected representatives can make that decision. This would also only apply for terminal illness. Not for depression or anything like that, and you should have to have a screening to make sure you are in your right mind.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
No one has an opinion?

I really am interested in various religious views on the subject. I won't call you an idiot or anything if I disagree with you

;)

yannick

Veteran
I pray that people who have committed suicide be saved from hellfire. I had a friend, Genesio, and he hanged himself. Afterwards, when me and his cousin were discussing what could have happened, we came to the conclusion that he prostrated himself and prayed to God before he did it. He was a heroin addict and his dad made him feel like he's been such a rejection all of his life because of it.

I pray that people who have committed suicide be saved from hellfire. I had a friend, Genesio, and he hanged himself. Afterwards, when me and his cousin were discussing what could have happened, we came to the conclusion that he prostrated himself and prayed to God before he did it. He was a heroin addict and his dad made him feel like he's been such a rejection all of his life because of it.
I don't believe that any God worth worshipping will torture his creations for ever. Maybe we will have to go through a process man for things we do here, but nothing just will create us and then make us suffer forever.

mecca

Superstar
Why would God knowingly place someone into a life of suffering and punish that person for being unable to handle it? I don't see why someone who commits suicide should automatically go to hell, that would be immoral. This idea is incoherent and not compatible with a just and loving God.

mecca

Superstar
And people should have a right to euthanasia... If they are suffering and know they won't make it, they should be able to do what they think is best for themselves as long as they are mentally healthy, it's their life and no one should be able to control it but them.

Why would God knowingly place someone into a life of suffering and punish that person for being unable to handle it? I don't see why someone who commits suicide should automatically go to hell, that would be immoral. This idea is incoherent and not compatible with a just and loving God.
God wouldn't do that. He wouldn't create something and put it through hardship just to torture it's soul for eternity.

And people should have a right to euthanasia... If they are suffering and know they won't make it, they should be able to do what they think is best for themselves as long as they are mentally healthy, it's their life and no one should be able to control it but them.
Indeed, our last days should not be spent suffering. If we know we're not going to make it, we need to face it head on, but painlessly.

DesertRose

Superstar
We believe that our bodies are gifts and belong to God. We are not allowed to misuse them. Your next breath is an unearned gift.
How little we thank.
Both those topics are major sins and are subject to God's decision. Depending on individual circumstances.
I think that we can trust that God who knows the intentions of people will deal justly with his creation.
Regarding a certain question similar to this on Islamqa regarding someone's cousin:

"This does not mean – if it is proven that your cousin did commit suicide – that you should not pray for mercy and forgiveness for her, rather you must do that because she needs that. Suicide is not kufr (disbelief) that puts a person beyond the pale of Islam as some people think, rather it is a major sin that is subject to the will of Allaah on the Day of Resurrection: if He wills, He will forgive it, and if He wills He will punish for it. So do not neglect to make du’aa’ (prayers)for her and be sincere in doing so; perhaps that may be the means of Allaah forgiving her.

And Allaah knows best."

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/70363/ruling-on-suicide-and-on-offering-the-funeral-prayer-and-praying-for-one-who-has-committed-suicide
Hope that explains our view on this topic.
It is He who changes the circumstances of people so we turn to the Creator in times of difficulty and in times of ease.

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
I wanted to create this thread because on the new abortion thread people invoked it as 'slippery-slope' argument against it.

First I want to ask this question of Christians on the board, if you are saved under your definition, what happens to people who commit suicide? I know the RCC is against it and believes that its an automatic ticket to hell. I'm not wholly sure on how other groups approach the topic as the fundamentalist church I was raised in didn't go into suicide and salvation (too uncomfortable) but I do know they oppose Euthanasia due to the Terri Schiavo incident and how they responded to it
Saved people who commit suicide are still saved. The Catholic Church can go to hell.

I have often dreamed happily of ending it all when life got too much to bother with, but when I was younger, I figured I would die some other way before I had to do it myself, and now I have a family, and my life is mostly pretty sweet (and I want to see how Game of Thrones ends -- the books, not the TV show), so I guess I missed my moment.

Also, I've had three friends kill themselves, and I wouldn't want to do that to anyone I love. If putting up with life means I don't have to make them that sad, then it's a small price to pay.

I do understand how people, especially young ones, can think suicide is the better option, though. They have no perspective. Like Christian Slater told us in Pump Up The Volume, "Sometimes being young is less fun than being dead."

I support Euthanasia. If I am diagnosed with a terminal illness I should have the right to exit without suffering. If I ever get diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I will kill myself one way or the other, and I would hope that I could do it professionally.

Now of course the government or some other body should not be able make that call for you. This is entirely an individual right, I want to make that clear. This would absolutely have to be codified and protected that only you or your selected representatives can make that decision. This would also only apply for terminal illness. Not for depression or anything like that, and you should have to have a screening to make sure you are in your right mind.

I don't support government assisted anything, or governmental encroachment on any adult's personal choice over their own life or death.

Thunderian

Superstar
Psalms 103:14 - For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

We believe that our bodies are gifts and belong to God. We are not allowed to misuse them. Your next breath is an unearned gift.
How little we thank.
Both those topics are major sins and are subject to God's decision. Depending on individual circumstances.
I think that we can trust that God who knows the intentions of people will deal justly with his creation.
Regarding a certain question similar to this on Islamqa regarding someone's cousin:

"This does not mean – if it is proven that your cousin did commit suicide – that you should not pray for mercy and forgiveness for her, rather you must do that because she needs that. Suicide is not kufr (disbelief) that puts a person beyond the pale of Islam as some people think, rather it is a major sin that is subject to the will of Allaah on the Day of Resurrection: if He wills, He will forgive it, and if He wills He will punish for it. So do not neglect to make du’aa’ (prayers)for her and be sincere in doing so; perhaps that may be the means of Allaah forgiving her.

And Allaah knows best."

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/70363/ruling-on-suicide-and-on-offering-the-funeral-prayer-and-praying-for-one-who-has-committed-suicide
Hope that explains our view on this topic.
It is He who changes the circumstances of people so we turn to the Creator in times of difficulty and in times of ease.
Thanks! It seems that to you guys, God will judge it on a case by case basis? Is Hell eternal in your belief?

Saved people who commit suicide are still saved. The Catholic Church can go to hell.

I have often dreamed happily of ending it all when life got too much to bother with, but when I was younger, I figured I would die some other way before I had to do it myself, and now I have a family, and my life is mostly pretty sweet (and I want to see how Game of Thrones ends -- the books, not the TV show), so I guess I missed my moment.

Also, I've had three friends kill themselves, and I wouldn't want to do that to anyone I love. If putting up with life means I don't have to make them that sad, then it's a small price to pay.

I do understand how people, especially young ones, can think suicide is the better option, though. They have no perspective. Like Christian Slater told us in Pump Up The Volume, "Sometimes being young is less fun than being dead."

I don't support government assisted anything, or governmental encroachment on any adult's personal choice over their own life or death.
Thanks! It’s good to know that you believed a saved person won’t lose it for suicide. I’m sure that this has helped many a Christian who lost someone to the tragedy.

I’ve thought about it before, in a way I think it would be easier, but I’ll stick around even if just to annoy people ;)

My half-brother and sister lost their dad to it, that’s what is so bad about, it’s one thing if you don’t really have anybody, but I think people don’t realize how much it will hurt those who remain. It’s scary to think what must go on in someone’s head as they go from contemplating to carrying out.

I would only do it if I had a terminal illness, I would hope that laws change so people can do it painlessly and without self-violence. It seems like you’d be ok with that?

DesertRose

Superstar
Thanks! It seems that to you guys, God will judge it on a case by case basis? Is Hell eternal in your belief?
The only group who abide in hell forever are those who know this message and willfully turn against it.
Those who are ignorant of this message do not go to hell.
Believing sinners who are not forgiven i.e did not ask for forgiveness nor cease their sins will also not be in it for an eternity.
Will place lectures that are relevant in my Islamic videos threads.
Edit:@Colonel Valerio the second video has an interesting argument that brings forth a difference of opinion regarding 'ages' versus 'forever'.

Last edited:

Actually I am interested in what any other practitioner of religion has to say about suicide.

Just saw this.

This may be unpopular with some people but it is what I believe.

If you are genuinely saved, and commit suicide, you will STILL go to Heaven.

I do, however, believe that you will lose all the rewards you have earned when you get there.

Once you are saved, you CANNOT “lose” it.

You are SEALED until the day of redemption.

Suicide is a cowardice act, and leaves your loved ones with an enormous amount of guilt, pain, unanswered questions, etc.

What doesn’t kill you truly does make you stronger, and God will not try you beyond what He knows you are capable of overcoming.

Well said.

Also (not to derail the thread)...
How’s the new baby coming along?

yannick

Veteran
I don't believe that any God worth worshipping will torture his creations for ever. Maybe we will have to go through a process man for things we do here, but nothing just will create us and then make us suffer forever.
For sure but what about those who torture others? Sorry if I am derailing.

download (5).jpg

Attachments

For sure but what about those who torture others? Sorry if I am derailing.

Not derailing at all. This a very valid concern. Maybe some punishment is warranted after we die for those who do things like murder and torture, but to be in constant pain for an eternity for actions taken in this short life? I don't think that even some of the worst people in history deserve that. I suppose it's out of my hands.

Poor Animals :(

yannick

Veteran
Not derailing at all. This a very valid concern. Maybe some punishment is warranted after we die for those who do things like murder and torture, but to be in constant pain for an eternity for actions taken in this short life? I don't think that even some of the worst people in history deserve that. I suppose it's out of my hands.

Poor Animals :(
Indeed. It's just too sad though and I don't want to admit it either, that is the eternity of hell for some. But it's scary when you think about it for those who've corrupted their souls so much as to now indulge in ritual killings, eating babies, p***philia, and what not. I wanted to share this video since some time. I mean, do they do such things really? The question may remain unanswered. I remember reading about Angelina Jolie sacrificing her pet snake or something like that as part of an Illuminati sacrifice.

Indeed. It's just too sad though and I don't want to admit it either, that is the eternity of hell for some. But it's scary when you think about it for those who've corrupted their souls so much as to now indulge in ritual killings, eating babies, p***philia, and what not. I wanted to share this video since some time. I mean, do they do such things really? The question may remain unanswered. I remember reading about Angelina Jolie sacrificing her pet snake or something like that as part of an Illuminati sacrifice.

So much is determined by genetics and environment regarding our behavior. It's just a matter of degrees that separates us from killers, the potentiality for evil is in all of us.

As far as the video, it is a kid friendly restaurant and kids have meltdowns in public.

yannick

Veteran
So much is determined by genetics and environment regarding our behavior. It's just a matter of degrees that separates us from killers, the potentiality for evil is in all of us.

As far as the video, it is a kid friendly restaurant and kids have meltdowns in public.
I just pray you're right.

AD HOC

Established

Palliative care for cancer patients is lawful euthanasia, by any other name.
I have witnessed it first hand, for several family members.