Suicide & Euthanasia

Lisa

Superstar
The problem with religious side of things when it comes to the topic of suicide is that, most priests who talk about it have little to no idea about mental health and they will never ever talk about extreme cases and the major reasons people commit or attempt suicide.

There was this really controversial thing or issue or whatever you want to call it where a woman called a scholar and asked him (during his live QnA session) that if someone commits suicide to protect themselves i.e. a woman is about to be gangraped and she has no way out and in fear she jumps off of the building and kills herself, is she still a sinner that is going to hell.
The woman who asked this was clearly in tears and you could tell that she was probably asking this due to something that might have happened to her or someone close to her. But the scholars answering it started laughing because someone dying from "fear" of r*pe seemed hilarious.

This is why I have absolutely no respect for "priests" of ANY faith who try to talk about issues where mental health plays an important role, without knowing about the scientific part of things.
I don’t know about priests and I’m not a pastor, but I would think that a Christian would encourage someone to live. And to encourage the one who could help them through their problems. Life is never that hopeless with God.

That seems like a fantastical analogy...if a women is going to get gang raped, jump off a building? Really?
I think that people think of the most scary thing possible and try to act like it would be ok then.

Well, the question of killing yourself and going to hell...if you don’t believe in Jesus and are saved...you are going to the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth because you aren’t saved from it by Jesus. If you are a Christian and commit suicide, I also believe that you would go to the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth because you didn’t trust God to save you/help you.

manama

Star
I don’t know about priests and I’m not a pastor, but I would think that a Christian would encourage someone to live. And to encourage the one who could help them through their problems. Life is never that hopeless with God.

That seems like a fantastical analogy...if a women is going to get gang raped, jump off a building? Really?
I think that people think of the most scary thing possible and try to act like it would be ok then.

Well, the question of killing yourself and going to hell...if you don’t believe in Jesus and are saved...you are going to the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth because you aren’t saved from it by Jesus. If you are a Christian and commit suicide, I also believe that you would go to the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth because you didn’t trust God to save you/help you.
Telling someone, who is already depressed and has lost all will to live in this life, that they are going to hell in after life, will never never make them want to live..

Lisa

Superstar
Not me. Shout out to OBG (another forum, another time) after one last treatment, then to hospice he goes.
Have you had cancer? If not you don’t know what you would do if you had to make the decision to keep your life going with the poison they give as treatment or try something that may or may not work. My husband had cancer a couple of years ago and he didn’t want to take chemo but he did want to live...so...he took the chemo and he is cancer free right now.

Lisa

Superstar
Telling someone, who is already depressed and has lost all will to live in this life, that they are going to hell in after life, will never never make them want to live..
How do you know? Not saying that’s what I would say to someone...

justjess

Superstar
Society, and thereby the state, needs to sanction it. Should I kill myself, my family should be part of it. Not finding my brains on the wall or me hanging in the woods being alerted by buzzards.
There are so many ways to do that already without the state getting involved in it at all. I’m just not sure what the benefit in making this a government issue is.

Lurker

Star
Have you had cancer? If not you don’t know what you would do if you had to make the decision to keep your life going with the poison they give as treatment or try something that may or may not work. My husband had cancer a couple of years ago and he didn’t want to take chemo but he did want to live...so...he took the chemo and he is cancer free right now.
I can assure you that I WILL NOT take chemo.

justjess

Superstar
Probably so no one is charged with murder.
Why would anyone be charged with murder for killing themselves?

People definately have a right to decline medical treatment and I wouldn’t try to encourage anyone to go through chemo if they didn’t want to.

It's tragic. I am that girl - abused throughout my childhood - suffered from that, illness, death of my boyfriend, etc. tried to take my life at 19 - almost succeeded apart the good doctors, eEMTs, psychologists, psychiatrists who kept me alive when i really didn't see the point. I know God was there in my darkest hour - he told me I didn't have to do this - I'll never forget those words. Diagnosed with extreme depression, psychosis, OCD - terrified of the drugs I didn't even know what they were - but I put my faith in them, in the staff, in life, essentially. I kept going and gradually- and I mean gradually life changed and now I can safely say I have joy in my life I never knew was possible. I would struggle every day to get up, leave the house but I kept going because I realized actually, I HAD no other choice. At those times I didn't see the point, couldn't see the light at the end, but! I never thought I knew better. Every organism struggles for life at the very end. And had they smothered this girl you would have witnessed her body fight to live. Life is precious and there is always hope. Where there is life, there is hope.

Lisa

Superstar
Why would anyone be charged with murder for killing themselves?

People definately have a right to decline medical treatment and I wouldn’t try to encourage anyone to go through chemo if they didn’t want to.
I thought you meant assisted suicide.

Lisa

Superstar
It's tragic. I am that girl - abused throughout my childhood - suffered from that, illness, death of my boyfriend, etc. tried to take my life at 19 - almost succeeded apart the good doctors, eEMTs, psychologists, psychiatrists who kept me alive when i really didn't see the point. I know God was there in my darkest hour - he told me I didn't have to do this - I'll never forget those words. Diagnosed with extreme depression, psychosis, OCD - terrified of the drugs I didn't even know what they were - but I put my faith in them, in the staff, in life, essentially. I kept going and gradually- and I mean gradually life changed and now I can safely say I have joy in my life I never knew was possible. I would struggle every day to get up, leave the house but I kept going because I realized actually, I HAD no other choice. At those times I didn't see the point, couldn't see the light at the end, but! I never thought I knew better. Every organism struggles for life at the very end. And had they smothered this girl you would have witnessed her body fight to live. Life is precious and there is always hope. Where there is life, there is hope.
Glad you kept going!!! God is definitely a rock :)

justjess

Superstar
It’s easy to say what you think you will or will not do when its not a decision you actually have to make.
It’s easy to assume you know better. Than someone else about their own lives and values.

I’ve watched a couple close loved ones die horrible deaths made worse by cancer treatment. And I saw my grandmother awake and alert decline further treatment and knowingly accept her imminent death. Some people value quality over quantity and that’s only for that person to decide.

Lisa

Superstar
It’s easy to assume you know better. Than someone else about their own lives and values.

I’ve watched a couple close loved ones die horrible deaths made worse by cancer treatment. And I saw my grandmother awake and alert decline further treatment and knowingly accept her imminent death. Some people value quality over quantity and that’s only for that person to decide.
I’ve been to the cancer hospital...there are a lot of people there getting chemo and radiation. They want to live and they are willing to try it if it means they will live longer.

justjess

Superstar
I’ve been to the cancer hospital...there are a lot of people there getting chemo and radiation. They want to live and they are willing to try it if it means they will live longer.
Good for them. They don’t represent everyone.

Most people take meds for MS too. I don’t. Side effects aren’t worth the small chance it will help to me. Everyone’s different.