Sugar addiction

morita

Veteran

Turns out sugar might be as addictive as had drugs. The problem is, most people are already addicted when they're old enough to realize. The first source of the addictin: parents. Remember when you were a kid and when your parents gave you something sugary to eat (sweets, cake,etc) to reward you for good bahaviour? Or when you were sad.
1610463178261.png

Tidal

Star
I used to be in a cycling club and on long rides my body was screaming out for sugary drinks and cream and jam buns and bananas, so sugar must be good to replace energy..:)

morita

Veteran
I used to be in a cycling club and on long rides my body was screaming out for sugary drinks and cream and jam buns and bananas, so sugar must be good to replace energy..:)
our bodies are wired to like sugary stuff like fruits. The artificial sugar found in drinks and sweets is actually meant to imitate the taste of fruits. Eating a real apple and a real banana will give someone more energy than drinking apple juice .

Aero

Superstar
I get a lot of random facts on my Instagram feed. One I keep seeing said the Ancient Romans had perfect teeth because they didn't eat any sugar. That seems kind of suspect, though. I thought the Romans indulged in everything, but now they took a hard pass on sugar.

If that doesn't convince you there is a PR campaign going on, try this on for size. It's painfully ironic to get offered a sugar-free Pepsi with your Mcdonalds. Because they are dumping gallons of it into everything else. They probably lace the fucking pickles with high fructose corn syrup.

Tidal

Star
True story- many years ago I was doing a solo cycle-camping trip, stopping for regular verge-side snacks as usual.
After about 50 miles I felt slight hunger again but because it was such a beautiful warm summers evening I decided to carry on without stopping, bad mistake!
After a while I began feeling weak as a kitten, breaking out in a cold sweat and getting spots before my eyes and a hissing in the ears, so I had to dismount almost fainting and sit propped up against a farm gete with my stomach absolutely screaming out for food.
So I devoured the contents of my food and drink bag in a feeding frenzy (especially sugary stuff) to stoke the raging furnace that my stomach had become, and within 10 minutes I was as right as rain.
I realised I'd experienced what cyclists call "Hunger Knock" or "The Bonk", brought on by neglecting to eat at regular intervals, resulting in my blood sugar level dropping dramatically...:)

PS- that's why there are always one or more "feeding stations" en route in long-distance bike races where the riders are handed small shoulder bags (musettes) by their team staff containing food and drink (below) without stopping, and they can keep dipping into it to munch and drink while still pedalling along-

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Incidentally, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of us get "low blood sugar episodes" from time to time even if we haven't been exercising, and even if we're in good health, the symptoms are like I described in my post above and quickly cured by eating something.
The body is a complex chemical factory and I suppose it happens when some of the the chemicals get out of balance.

No doubt sugar in excess is bad for you and definitely the data shows it likely leads to inflammation throughout the body. The thing is, we don’t need the government interfering with our food choices and I can see that effort being put in place with this new anti sugar campaign. Everyone needs to be responsible for their own health and that includes food choices.

Big Food cares about one thing - the bottom line. So they will lace their “food” with all sorts of garbage - MSG, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Aspartame, High Fructose Corn Surup, Food Dyes, other artificial sweeteners - now we have frankenfoods too.

We’re up against it - but believe me this - neither the government nor Big Food will EVER have your HEALTH in mind when pushing their dietary guidelines. They are in bed together and it’s all about pushing nutritionally empty food that makes you full but starves the body at the same time. So you end up fat, sick and tired.

Think of the cattle fed corn. Pumped full of antibiotics 24-7 to stay alive on their empty, unnatural food. It’s an abomination. And it’s what’s done to people too.

Tidal

Star
..It's painfully ironic to get offered a sugar-free Pepsi with your Mcdonalds..
..The artificial sugar found in drinks and sweets is actually meant to imitate the taste of fruits..
neither the government nor Big Food will EVER have your HEALTH in mind when pushing their dietary guidelines. They are in bed together and it’s all about pushing nutritionally empty food that makes you full but starves the body at the same time..

Yeah I'm fed up seeing stuff labelled "sugar free", don't the dotty food manufacturers realise many of us WANT sugar?
I'm starting to look at the labelling from now on to make a list of which stuff contains genuine sugar, for example I'll pick up bananas every time i visit the grocers because they contain proper sugar because they haven't been messed about with...:)

PS- I once read a true survival book about a group of weather men in WW2 who were stranded on Spitzbergen island in the Arctic and were almost starving because bad weather was preventing planes and ships getting to them to re-supply them.
Eventually a Catalina got through and dropped big containers full of food, and at least one chap craved sugar so much that he opened a jar of jam or honey (I forget which) and was scooping great dollops of it out with his fingers and ravenously stuffing it into his mouth..:)
(They were all rescued okay later)

Aero

Superstar
Yeah I'm fed up seeing stuff labelled "sugar free", don't the dotty food manufacturers realise many of us WANT sugar?
I'm starting to look at the labelling from now on to make a list of which stuff contains genuine sugar, for example I'll pick up bananas every time i visit the grocers because they contain proper sugar because they haven't been messed about with...:)

PS- I once read a true survival book about a group of weather men in WW2 who were stranded on Spitzbergen island in the Arctic and were almost starving because bad weather was preventing planes and ships getting to them to re-supply them.
Eventually a Catalina got through and dropped big containers full of food, and at least one chap craved sugar so much that he opened a jar of jam or honey (I forget which) and was scooping great dollops of it out with his fingers and ravenously stuffing it into his mouth..:)
(They were all rescued okay later)
Honey is supposed to be pretty good for you. At least as far as sugar goes.

I can drink a whole case of mountain dew and I won't feel crappy. But eating 1 Mcdonalds cheeseburger is a gamble.

Tidal

Star
There was a survival show on TV (Grylls?) in which we saw African native tribesmen getting honey from a bees nest in a tree, they loved the stuff so much that they regarded all the stings they were getting as a worthwhile price to pay..:)

PS- as a kid in the 1950's/60's, my mother was always buying us sweet sticky sweets (candy) such as toffees, pastilles, gums etc without a second thought, because i think the attitude of most parents in them days was "If sweets were bad for kids they wouldn't be allowed to sell them".
I remember she made a half-hearted effort to get me to regularly brush my teeth but being a kid I couldn't really be bothered to do it, so she never pressured me. As a result I had terrible toothache later in my childhood and had regular visits to the dentist for him to salvage what he could.

PS- when my sister grew up and had kids, she didn't seem too interested in what her kids ate, and naturally she had to take them for regular visits to the dentists. I once tried to make her see sense and said to her- "None of my business of course, but If you cut down a bit on letting them have sugary sweets, they wouldn't need a dentist" .
But it was like talking to a brick wal, her reply was- "Don't be stupid! EVERYBODY has to go to dentists, that's what dentists are for"

Last edited:

morita

Veteran
Eating honey in moderation is actually good for your health. I take one tea spoon of honey every morning on an empty stomach.
But I never felt good after eating refined sugar. I'm an intuitive eater, if something makes me feel crappy after eating it, I cut it off my diet.

Last edited:

Daze

Superstar
Eating honey in moderation is actually good for your health. I take one tea spoon of honey every morning on an empty stomach.
Honey is actually mentioned as a cure in the Quran. Here's a short video highlighting a few things on it.

Take the time to make sure what your getting is actually honey. There are alot of fakes on the shelves with various additives like corn syrup. Here's a short video showing how to tell them apart.

Honey is actually mentioned as a cure in the Quran. Here's a short video highlighting a few things on it.

Take the time to make sure what your getting is actually honey. There are alot of fakes on the shelves with various additives like corn syrup. Here's a short video showing how to tell them apart.
Honey has a lot of anti-viral and anti-microbial properties naturally..in fact there was a study a few years ago that showed honey+garlic I think it was, and something else (can't remember right now) killed MERSA when applied topically. One of the best, most powerful honeys is Manuka honey derived from the tea tree.

Daze

Superstar
Honey has a lot of anti-viral and anti-microbial properties naturally..in fact there was a study a few years ago that showed honey+garlic I think it was, and something else (can't remember right now) killed MERSA when applied topically. One of the best, most powerful honeys is Manuka honey derived from the tea tree.
Yep, garlic is good too. If you ever browse home remedy websites (i have for toothaches in the past) you'll come across honey and garlic used often due to them being full of anti-oxidants. There are many remedies in this area and they seem to be mostly spices. Turmeric, cloves, olive oil, ect. are all used for their anti-viral and anti-microbial properties

This isn't the "natural cure thread" so i digress. Just wanted to highlight that honey has been a natural cure for centuries and it's mentioned in the last revelation.

FlixKandish

Rookie

Turns out sugar might be as addictive as had drugs. The problem is, most people are already addicted when they're old enough to realize. The first source of the addictin: parents. Remember when you were a kid and when your parents gave you something sugary to eat (sweets, cake,etc) to reward you for good bahaviour? Or when you were sad.
View attachment 50697
Well, sugar is prevalent in American western diet for reason. Just stay away from it. Simple

elsbet

Superstar
But I never felt good after eating refined sugar. I'm an intuitive eater, if something makes me feel crappy after eating it, I cut it off my diet.
Honey is a natural antibiotic, isn't it? And... iirc, it doesn't really 'go bad.'

Then again, I could be wrong. :p