Straight Pride Parade-Boston

justjess

Superstar
Why would Christian’s celebrate themselves? Christianity is all about God, we are saved because of God not because of ourselves.
So you wouldn’t go to a Christian parade? It’s a simple yes or no question Lisa.

Lisa

Superstar
If there was would you attend? Would you oppose it?
It’s hard to say what I would do, I don’t generally talk in hypothetical’s. I’m of the opinion that you never really know what you’d do until your faced with the situation.

justjess

Superstar
It’s hard to say what I would do, I don’t generally talk in hypothetical’s. I’m of the opinion that you never really know what you’d do until your faced with the situation.
Well... I can just assume you know why I’m asking and would rather not allow me to entertain that train of thought.

Checkmate.

Lisa

Superstar
Well... I can just assume you know why I’m asking and would rather not allow me to entertain that train of thought.

Checkmate.
I have no idea why you’re asking or what you think you just got me on....

Edit- instead of trying to trick me..why don’t you just come out and say what you mean?

Please...people get killed, people get disowned by families, people get labels they don’t deserve all the time. Jews were rounded up by the nazi’s just for being Jewish..so what’s your point?
My point is that all forms of oppression are bad and that sometimes you need to march in the street to tell people you won't be oppressed.

They can do what most people do...shake it off and move on. Don’t you think its a little odd they want to be known for their sexual orientation? Why not be known for something else?
It's not about being known for their orientation, as much as their orientation is part of themselves, and they don't feel like they should hide it. If you're heterosexual and in a relationship, you've likely expressed your heterosexuality publicly. You've likely held hands in front of other people, kissed, if you've gotten married you had a big public display of your heterosexuality.

Movies frequently express heterosexuality It's so normalized you don't even notice it.

If people can have a gay pride parade, then why not a straight pride parade?
In theory, sure. You could have one. But again, why would you need one? You are not marginalized. There isn't one person who genuinely believes straight people are bad.

Are homosexuals not then just treating those people like they’ve always said they were treated?
Yeah, and that's kind of a problem. Gay people, and transgendered people especially, still face a lot of discrimination.

And..these people are willing to have a joint parade...the inclusion the homosexuals are looking for are just a parade away?
Most Pride parades are actually inclusive if your idea is marginalized and you're not against the basic idea. I had a friend march in one, with a bunch of mothers against forcing circumcision on male children. I've to know asexuals that marched in them. Gay pride parades AREN'T just for gays anymore.

justjess

Superstar
I have no idea why you’re asking or what you think you just got me on....

Edit- instead of trying to trick me..why don’t you just come out and say what you mean?
Can’t do that. Need an honest answer. Need an honest two second gut drawn answer. If you can’t give it to me then that’s the end of the discussion.

Lisa

Superstar
My point is that all forms of oppression are bad and that sometimes you need to march in the street to tell people you won't be oppressed.
Why? I don’t understand that.

Movies frequently express heterosexuality It's so normalized you don't even notice it.
Movies and tv nowadays feature homosexual’s as well so I’m not sure your point.

Also I don’t think that straight people hold hands as expressing their heterosexuality publicly...

There isn't one person who genuinely believes straight people are bad.
Isn’t that what homosexuals believe? That we are somehow marginalizing them and keeping them down?

Yeah, and that's kind of a problem. Gay people, and transgendered people especially, still face a lot of discrimination.
They aren’t the only ones apparently...you can look and find someone discriminating against someone else anywhere. I don’t think a parade does anything tbh to stop discrimination.

Gay pride parades AREN'T just for gays anymore.
Very true.

Lisa

Superstar
Can’t do that. Need an honest answer. Need an honest two second gut drawn answer. If you can’t give it to me then that’s the end of the discussion.
Why? Just say what you want to say.

Idk what I would do and I’m not gonna try to defend a hypothetical answer.

justjess

Superstar
Why? Just say what you want to say.

Idk what I would do and I’m not gonna try to defend a hypothetical answer.
Rules of the game Lisa. Sorry.

If you don’t know the rest of the convo is moot anyway.

Why? I don’t understand that.
The same reason why protest is important. So people realize that you won't simply fade away into the shadows and not bother them.

Movies and tv nowadays feature homosexual’s as well so I’m not sure your point.
How often are the main characters? How often are their relationships showed in the same detail as heterosexual relationships? Not often.

Also I don’t think that straight people hold hands as expressing their heterosexuality publicly...
So you'd be fine with a gay or lesbian couple holding hands in public, then?

Isn’t that what homosexuals believe? That we are somehow marginalizing them and keeping them down?

They aren’t the only ones apparently...you can look and find someone discriminating against someone else anywhere. I don’t think a parade does anything tbh to stop discrimination.
I'm sure there are some LGBT people that are absolutely fine with their lot in life. Keep their heads down low, vote on issues that are important to them when they come on the ballot and don't cause a ruckus. Just like I'm sure there were blacks who thought the same during the civil rights movement in America. Sometimes complacency feels alright since you at least know what you're into.

But I believe they are marginalized. Just like I believe people of color are marginalized, Muslims are marginalized, women are marginalized, and the poor are marginalized.

And you can't just fight against one sort of marginalization. You have to fight it all, since it's all heads of the same dragon.

Lisa

Superstar
The same reason why protest is important. So people realize that you won't simply fade away into the shadows and not bother them.
Is that important?

How often are the main characters? How often are their relationships showed in the same detail as heterosexual relationships? Not often.
Probably because most people are heterosexual. But they have gained ground that many people see it as homosexuality as a love relationship and not a perverted one.

So you'd be fine with a gay or lesbian couple holding hands in public, then?
When I was a teen I had a mohawk. I went to the movies in all my mohawk/punk glory and I could see this lady out of the corner of my eye staring at me with a horrified expression on her face. I tried to ignore it but she kept staring and finally I looked over and gave her a dirty look..she never looked my way again. I can go to the movies looking any way I want..however, does that mean that some people won’t look at me funny because I don’t conform to societal norms? Should I say that I was being marginalized then, or that’s the way society works? If you decide that you want to be a homosexual couple in public, you need to be ready to face the societal norm.

And you can't just fight against one sort of marginalization.
Everyone can say they are marginalized then....that doesn’t mean anything. You know what I think..and I’ve said this before...I think that unless these people can go out in public and not let the public’s distaste of them get to them, they will never be happy. They will never be able to win everyone over and maybe the answer isn’t a parade but to be ok in yourself? And, like I have said before..I don’t think they will ever be able to be ok in themselves because deep down they know what they do is wrong. How do I know that? Because God tells us that He put His laws in our hearts...we all know what is right and wrong and to try to do wrong..your conscience will bother you.

Wigi

Veteran
I personally wouldn't.
In my opinion, parades are the exact same thing as a demonstration.
The goal is to influence the public space and impress the young minds.

Except that parades emphasizes an egotistical need for people to show their identity to create a superficial (I'll say hypocritical) feeling of acceptance from people who don't really care at all.

The simple fact that people feel outraged by a 'straight' parade is the sign that we all know deep inside us that parades are tools of propaganda.

justjess

Superstar
Fair enough.

Do you not go to any parades? We go to st Patty’s parade every year. It’s fun.

Is that important?
Because it's important to never be complacent to oppression, no matter how benign it feels.

Probably because most people are heterosexual. But they have gained ground that many people see it as homosexuality as a love relationship and not a perverted one.
True. But more representation is good for everyone. Seeing stories about people different than you makes you more understanding and sympathetic, even in fictional stories.

When I was a teen I had a mohawk. I went to the movies in all my mohawk/punk glory and I could see this lady out of the corner of my eye staring at me with a horrified expression on her face. I tried to ignore it but she kept staring and finally I looked over and gave her a dirty look..she never looked my way again. I can go to the movies looking any way I want..however, does that mean that some people won’t look at me funny because I don’t conform to societal norms? Should I say that I was being marginalized then, or that’s the way society works? If you decide that you want to be a homosexual couple in public, you need to be ready to face the societal norm.
People might look at you funny... But if people told you that you couldn't get married because you had a mohawk, or you couldn't go into a certain bathroom if you had a mohawk, or that a children's television program that features a mohawk couldn't be shown on public television... Well, it would be awfully silly, wouldn't it?

And any unjust social norm deserves to be challenged.

Everyone can say they are marginalized then....that doesn’t mean anything. You know what I think..and I’ve said this before...I think that unless these people can go out in public and not let the public’s distaste of them get to them, they will never be happy. They will never be able to win everyone over and maybe the answer isn’t a parade but to be ok in yourself? And, like I have said before..I don’t think they will ever be able to be ok in themselves because deep down they know what they do is wrong. How do I know that? Because God tells us that He put His laws in our hearts...we all know what is right and wrong and to try to do wrong..your conscience will bother you.
Christ also told us to love our neighbor. To help the poor, the sick, the imprisoned. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked... And there's a hell of a lot of people that don't do that. Some of these people are quick to say homosexuality is bad though. Funny, that.

Probably because God calls homosexuality an abomination.
And you'll burn in hell if you don't cloth the naked, feed the hungry, and visit the sick and imprisoned. How many Christians flat out ignore those things?

Religion shouldn't matter either, for the rules of society, because not everyone is Christian and not all Christians believe the same things.