Straight Pride Parade-Boston

Lisa

Superstar
These Guys Are Planning A "Straight Pride Parade" In Boston And Twitter Can't Get Enough

The group's application to actually hold the parade has not yet been approved, according to the city.

By Stephanie McNeal
Posted on June 4, 2019, at 4:18 p.m. ET
Boston officials say a group claiming they will hold a "straight pride parade" in the city this summer has not actually been granted a permit to do so after the so-called event went viral.

It all started with a group of men who call themselves "Super Happy Fun America." According to its website, the group exists to "celebrate the diverse history, culture, and contributions of the straight community."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/straight-pride-parade-claim-controversy-boston

Allegra

Veteran
BUZZFEED

I cringe.

If you dont dislike straight white male, they wont hire you. It is interestingly, a question that they will ask you during the last step of their job interview.

In theory, I could understand why someone would feel that this was something that made sense to do... But I wonder if people truly understand why minorities have celebrations to draw attention to whatever group they are part of.

As a white, heteroromantic male who's comfortable with my body... I ain't got to look very hard to find role-models or heroes. History is filled with people like me. Not everyone can say that, considering a lot of other groups have been on the losing side of history, so their contributions are often forgotten.

Scars512

Established
In theory, I could understand why someone would feel that this was something that made sense to do... But I wonder if people truly understand why minorities have celebrations to draw attention to whatever group they are part of.!

As a white, heteroromantic male who's comfortable with my body... I ain't got to look very hard to find role-models or heroes. History is filled with people like me. Not everyone can say that, considering a lot of other groups have been on the losing side of history, so their contributions are often forgotten.
I think it comes down to the fact that everyone is encouraged to celebrate and love who they are -- as long as they aren't part of a majority group. Gay pride? Fabulous! Straight Pride? You must be homophobic!

For instance, I saw a t-shirt in the mall that said "Black Girls Rock!" I've no problem with that. Everyone should be proud of who they are. But, if I wore a shirt that said "White Girls Rock!" -- it would be considered hateful and offensive. In my college, we had a Black Student Union -- but not a White Student Union. We had black fraternities and sororities -- but not whites only fraternities and sororities. It is that kind of hypocrisy that is frustrating. If you think it is okay to exclude people based on race, why are you upset if others do it? If you are going to celebrate diversity -- that means that you actually have to celebrate EVERYONE -- not just the ones who are oppressed. Otherwise, what you are really doing is finding a way to subject that majority class to a taste of oppression. That is great for revenge purposes, but it is a terrible way to build bridges and actually move beyond the labels in the future.

I think it comes down to the fact that everyone is encouraged to celebrate and love who they are -- as long as they aren't part of a majority group. Gay pride? Fabulous! Straight Pride? You must be homophobic!
Again, the entire point of "gay pride" events is to celebrate the things that famous gay people did, especially things that were downplayed

For instance, I saw a t-shirt in the mall that said "Black Girls Rock!" I've no problem with that. Everyone should be proud of who they are. But, if I wore a shirt that said "White Girls Rock!" -- it would be considered hateful and offensive.
There's a reason for that. Black people, in America, don't have an identity outside of their blackness. Since the vast majority of descended from slaves and don't know where in Africa they originate. They have no connection and no way of knowing about it. Most white people can't say the same. We know our heritage; we're Irish, Italian, English, French, German, etc.

You could, for instance, wear a shirt that says "Irish Girls Rock" and no one would care.

In my college, we had a Black Student Union -- but not a White Student Union. We had black fraternities and sororities -- but not whites only fraternities and sororities. It is that kind of hypocrisy that is frustrating. If you think it is okay to exclude people based on race, why are you upset if others do it?
I'm personally not a fan of racial exclusion. That being said... Even as a white dude, I'd be a little nervous around the sort of people that want an exclusively white group. Considering my heritage is Irish Catholic... Well, that sort of thing was bad for me.

If you are going to celebrate diversity -- that means that you actually have to celebrate EVERYONE -- not just the ones who are oppressed.

You can! I mean I don't know about where you live but there are all sorts of cultural festivals for "white" ethnicities here.

But here's the thing. Whiteness? It really isn't a thing like Blackness is. Again, most Blacks in America aren't aware of their origins since many are descended from slaves. Those that are? They are more likely to identify as Jamaican or Kenyan or whatever.

Otherwise, what you are really doing is finding a way to subject that majority class to a taste of oppression. That is great for revenge purposes, but it is a terrible way to build bridges and actually move beyond the labels in the future.[/QUOTE]

Only if you don't understand why identity is important to marginalized groups. If you feel oppressed by the fact gay people have parades but straight people don't... That shouldn't make you feel embittered towards gays. It should make you feel empathetic since that's how they often feel every day.

Scars512

Established
Again, the entire point of "gay pride" events is to celebrate the things that famous gay people did, especially things that were downplayed

There's a reason for that. Black people, in America, don't have an identity outside of their blackness. Since the vast majority of descended from slaves and don't know where in Africa they originate. They have no connection and no way of knowing about it. Most white people can't say the same. We know our heritage; we're Irish, Italian, English, French, German, etc.

You could, for instance, wear a shirt that says "Irish Girls Rock" and no one would care.

I'm personally not a fan of racial exclusion. That being said... Even as a white dude, I'd be a little nervous around the sort of people that want an exclusively white group. Considering my heritage is Irish Catholic... Well, that sort of thing was bad for me.

You can! I mean I don't know about where you live but there are all sorts of cultural festivals for "white" ethnicities here.

But here's the thing. Whiteness? It really isn't a thing like Blackness is. Again, most Blacks in America aren't aware of their origins since many are descended from slaves. Those that are? They are more likely to identify as Jamaican or Kenyan or whatever.

Otherwise, what you are really doing is finding a way to subject that majority class to a taste of oppression. That is great for revenge purposes, but it is a terrible way to build bridges and actually move beyond the labels in the future.

Only if you don't understand why identity is important to marginalized groups. If you feel oppressed by the fact gay people have parades but straight people don't... That shouldn't make you feel embittered towards gays. It should make you feel empathetic since that's how they often feel every day.
But that's the thing -- it isn't ethnicity that is being celebrated. It is race. After all, we don't check our ethnicity on the census or other forms. They don't list our ethnicity on our birth certificate. And there are plenty of black people who were born in Ireland and Germany and England -- that doesn't automatically make them white because most people in those countries are white. So a black Irish person could wear both shirts -- but I'd still be limited to only the Irish one because, hey, saying white girls rock is inherently racist.

And celebrating homosexuality/bisexuality should be no different than celebrating heterosexuality. If there is nothing wrong with a gay pride parade, there is nothing wrong with a straight pride parade. If I want to celebrate what straight people have done, how is that different? I actually don't want to have any parades themed around sexuality. I think that falls under the TMI umbrella, but if people want to do that -- that's fine. I'll stay home and out of the way while they do their thing.

I mean, what is the difference between an all black sorority or an all white sorority? Both exclude people based on race. I wouldn't want to be a member of a group that would exclude based on race. I just wonder why it is okay for some people to practice racial discrimination but not okay for others. It is the hypocrisy that I hate. Not that I am secretly a white supremacist who doesn't want black people around. The answer to racial inequality isn't to go off and to make your own groups -- it is for the existing groups to be made inclusive of and representative of everyone. When we break off into our own little groups, we very seldom have spaces and opportunities to have real dialogue and find common ground. We stay divided rather than progress.

It isn't that I am embittered or think that people celebrating their sexuality is a bad thing -- I just find the double standard to be confusing. I guess the concept that only a minority is allowed to express pride in who they are just rubs me the wrong way. You can be proud of who you are without wanting to oppress anyone else.

And I find it sad that all we seem to be doing is working to get different labels on equal footing instead of moving towards a community where labels need not be applied at all. I don't celebrate my ethnicity because I don't find it to be important. I am an American. Wherever my ancestors came from doesn't really play a part in how I choose to live my life today. I'm not ashamed of my ancestry ... it just doesn't trump my nationality or the fact that I am just a human being. I used to buy into the identity politics ... but I think that they actually serve to keep us divided rather than moving us forward towards inclusion and equality. I guess I still hope that someday it won't matter what your label is. All that matters is that you are a human being and that you deserve equal treatment simply because you are a human being. Grouping ourselves under these labels isn't getting us any closer to that.

polymoog

Superstar
why is the left always atomizing people down to the most minute level to showcase how different they are? i dont CARE (and neither should anyone) if freddie mercury, for example, was gay or not-- freddie mercury was a fantastic singer. THATS IT. nothing else is relevant.

its the same old story with the left.... talking about how this person is gay or bisexual, or this person is black and this guy is asian... the left can not seem to grasp that by focusing on these differences (sexual, ethnicities, etc.) that it is they who are eschewing the whole person for their skin color or sexuality.

But that's the thing -- it isn't ethnicity that is being celebrated. It is race. After all, we don't check our ethnicity on the census or other forms. They don't list our ethnicity on our birth certificate. And there are plenty of black people who were born in Ireland and Germany and England -- that doesn't automatically make them white because most people in those countries are white. So a black Irish person could wear both shirts -- but I'd still be limited to only the Irish one because, hey, saying white girls rock is inherently racist.
Fun fact about the census. Middle Easterners are considered white.

But I'll humor you. Maybe it really isn't fair that you can't say that you're proud of being white. But you know who should blame for that? Groups that tied up the concept of "white pride" with racism. It isn't the fault of marginalized groups. It's the fault of people who want to abuse marginalized groups.

And I'm going to state this again because you completely ignored it. The reason it's okay to celebrate black pride is that black people in Western countries, especially the ones in America, have no identity outside of their skin color because their ancestors were sld as slaves and they faced years of oppression, even when "freed". If you're of European heritage, you have a long history you can be proud of; they do not. So it's perfectly fair.

And celebrating homosexuality/bisexuality should be no different than celebrating heterosexuality. If there is nothing wrong with a gay pride parade, there is nothing wrong with a straight pride parade.
Pride parades were originally a protest, to demand equality. These days, they are more used to celebrate the things queer people have done throughout history. What would a straight pride parade even be about?

If I want to celebrate what straight people have done, how is that different?
Since straight, cis-bodied individuals make up the vast majority of humanity. History, baring some figures from antiquity, was made by people just like you and me. I could throw a dart at a random selection of historical events and have something I could easily celebrate.

I actually don't want to have any parades themed around sexuality. I think that falls under the TMI umbrella, but if people want to do that -- that's fine. I'll stay home and out of the way while they do their thing.
And complain about it on the internet, apparently.

I mean, what is the difference between an all black sorority or an all white sorority? Both exclude people based on race. I wouldn't want to be a member of a group that would exclude based on race.
Most of the black sororities and fraternities exist because people of color were banned from others. 'cause you know, racist people didn't want them around. It's it pointless today? Probably. But again, it was sort of unfair for blacks to be barred... So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
I just wonder why it is okay for some people to practice racial discrimination but not okay for others. It is the hypocrisy that I hate. Not that I am secretly a white supremacist who doesn't want black people around. The answer to racial inequality isn't to go off and to make your own groups -- it is for the existing groups to be made inclusive of and representative of everyone. When we break off into our own little groups, we very seldom have spaces and opportunities to have real dialogue and find common ground. We stay divided rather than progress.
You know what? I'll agree with this. It's something that we need to do. But I'm also aware that there are some people who aren't ready for dialogue because of how they were marginalized. As a white person, I don't have a right to tell a black person to buck up and work with me. As heteroromantic person who's not bothered by their body, I don't have the right to tell a LGBT person the same. I understand that people need space and time to heal.

It isn't that I am embittered or think that people celebrating their sexuality is a bad thing -- I just find the double standard to be confusing. I guess the concept that only a minority is allowed to express pride in who they are just rubs me the wrong way. You can be proud of who you are without wanting to oppress anyone else.
Right. But here's a serious question that I want you to answer me... What does "white pride" offer you that ethnic pride doesn't? What does straight pride offer you?

And I find it sad that all we seem to be doing is working to get different labels on equal footing instead of moving towards a community where labels need not be applied at all. I don't celebrate my ethnicity because I don't find it to be important.
Yet you're arguing that you should be able to have white/straight pride?

I am an American. Wherever my ancestors came from doesn't really play a part in how I choose to live my life today. I'm not ashamed of my ancestry ... it just doesn't trump my nationality or the fact that I am just a human being. used to buy into the identity politics ... but I think that they actually serve to keep us divided rather than moving us forward towards inclusion and equality

Again, in theory, I can agree with you but I might have a different perspective; I've also seen idenity politics lead people to questioning other parts of the system. They might start off with gay pride... And they end up becoming a queer anarchist. Indenity isn't the issue; it's the use of indenity as a commodenity.

I guess I still hope that someday it won't matter what your label is. All that matters is that you are a human being and that you deserve equal treatment simply because you are a human being. Grouping ourselves under these labels isn't getting us any closer to that.
Agreed, there. I just think personally, we're a little far from that.

Lisa

Superstar
This wont be perfect without Lucas!! Remember we are here not because of Adam and John.... but Adam.... and Jessica!
Lol! I was thinking that maybe I was over doing Lucas, but thanks for adding his video.

I thought we were here because of God :)

polymoog

Superstar
The reason it's okay to celebrate black pride is that black people in Western countries, especially the ones in America, have no identity outside of their skin color because their ancestors were sld as slaves and they faced years of oppression, even when "freed".
they can GET OVER IT. why does someone need an identity? how about just being the best that you can be? how about creating new customs and family traditions instead of dwelling on the past?

Since straight, cis-bodied individuals make up the vast majority of humanity. History, baring some figures from antiquity, was made by people just like you and me. I could throw a dart at a random selection of historical events and have something I could easily celebrate.
who in their right mind concerns themself with what sexuality a person had in a historical event where the event had nothing at all to do with sexuality? who??

Right. But here's a serious question that I want you to answer me... What does "white pride" offer you that ethnic pride doesn't? What does straight pride offer you?
how about normality and a sense of sanity in these days we are living in?

Agreed, there. I just think personally, we're a little far from that.
the left is making it ten thousand times worse by focusing on differences between people instead of focusing on unity.

they can GET OVER IT. why does someone need an identity? how about just being the best that you can be? how about creating new customs and family traditions instead of dwelling on the past?
I hope you feel the same way about all those people getting up in arms about Confederate statues getting torn down. If you do... Great. And I mean that, unironically.

But I'm also aware that some people, especially those who are disenfranchised and marginalized, often need something so they feel stronger.

who in their right mind concerns themself with what sexuality a person had in a historical event where the event had nothing at all to do with sexuality? who??
LGBT kids who want a hero to look up to? Whether they are historical figures or fictional characters, people tend to like heroes they can relate to. Identity plays a part in relatability.

how about normality and a sense of sanity in these days we are living in?
We're living in a mad world, but personally, gay pride parades aren't even in my top ten of "crazy things in the modern world". I mean you want to hear something really batty? We produce enough food to feed the planet, yet there's still starvation. Or how about how oil companies have such a stranglehold on the global economy, we won't break away from fossil fuels and work find alternative fuel sources? Or how about how war, the act of murdering human beings in mass, is a very good business to get into?

the left is making it ten thousand times worse by focusing on differences between people instead of focusing on unity.
You could, you know, embrace those differences. I've met all sorts of people in my life from all different walks of life and my life is better because of it. Since I actively tried to understand where people are coming from and those people actively tried to understand me... We all grew as people.

The world would be pretty boring if we were all the same.

free2018

Star
These Guys Are Planning A "Straight Pride Parade" In Boston And Twitter Can't Get Enough

The group's application to actually hold the parade has not yet been approved, according to the city.

By Stephanie McNeal
Posted on June 4, 2019, at 4:18 p.m. ET
Boston officials say a group claiming they will hold a "straight pride parade" in the city this summer has not actually been granted a permit to do so after the so-called event went viral.

It all started with a group of men who call themselves "Super Happy Fun America." According to its website, the group exists to "celebrate the diverse history, culture, and contributions of the straight community."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/straight-pride-parade-claim-controversy-boston
Great idea. I support them 500 hundred percent.

I hope you feel the same way about all those people getting up in arms about Confederate statues getting torn down. If you do... Great. And I mean that, unironically.

But I'm also aware that some people, especially those who are disenfranchised and marginalized, often need something so they feel stronger.

LGBT kids who want a hero to look up to? Whether they are historical figures or fictional characters, people tend to like heroes they can relate to. Identity plays a part in relatability.

We're living in a mad world, but personally, gay pride parades aren't even in my top ten of "crazy things in the modern world". I mean you want to hear something really batty? We produce enough food to feed the planet, yet there's still starvation. Or how about how oil companies have such a stranglehold on the global economy, we won't break away from fossil fuels and work find alternative fuel sources? Or how about how war, the act of murdering human beings in mass, is a very good business to get into?

You could, you know, embrace those differences. I've met all sorts of people in my life from all different walks of life and my life is better because of it. Since I actively tried to understand where people are coming from and those people actively tried to understand me... We all grew as people.

The world would be pretty boring if we were all the same.
“LGBT kids”.....those two terms should never be used together in a sentence.

Never.

That is one of the many things wrong with the LGBTQP community.....the indoctrination of children into the insanity of the homosexual agenda.

“LGBT kids”.....those two terms should never be used together in a sentence.

Never.
So... LGBT teenagers don't exist now? (Teenagers are kids.)

That is one of the many things wrong with the LGBTQP community.....the indoctrination of children into the insanity of the homosexual agenda.
There aren't very many LGBT people that would welcome P's, no matter how much you want to believe that.