fit for the summer

morita

Veteran
I try doing arobic exercises and eating healthy (mostly vegetables) but the more I exercise the more I find myself hungry. I split my 3 meals a day to 5/6 small meals to not overeat(anyone in the same boat?) How do yall manage to stay fit during the summer? What type of exercises do you recommend?

Robin

Veteran
I do intermittent fasting which works great for me, I find I have a lot more energy and am not as hungry as I used to be despite being more active. But because my eating window has to be shortened every couple of weeks I tend to only eat 2 (with additional snacking in between) meals a day so I have to make sure I'm getting everything I need from them. I try finding substitutions for cravings (i.e. homemade dark chocolate-covered date balls are great if you have a sweet tooth every once in a while) I don't really count calories but try to eat healthy and have a rough estimate of my daily macros. I usually do an exercise split of cardio (the elliptical mostly) and resistance training to tone up. The only exercise tip I could probably give is not to be afraid of weights. I used to be afraid they would make me bulky or too muscular but they really don't, they're great for sculpting/maintaining overall body tone. Hope this helped somewhat.

Todd

Star
I go to the gym almost everyday on my lunch hour (mostly weights and a little cardio now and then). Then I run a few miles 2 or 3 times a week in the evening.

I don't really avoid eating anything (except pork and shellfish) but eat everything in moderation. I don't count calories or carbs or sugar. My motto is "I run so I can eat." LOL!

Dalit

Star
I do Bright Line Eating (no flour and no sugar) and have lost 62 lbs from it (in 7 months) so far. The less processed and more natural foods you can eat, the better.

Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, in my opinion, because you can do it anywhere and anytime. If it's too hot, walk the mall. If you can get up early and beat the heat, there's usually a nice park or a waterfront place to walk at.

I agree with @Robin about not being afraid of weights, but use weight machines and free weights versus a Body Pump class. I wrenched my shoulder blade in Body Pump class and had intense shoulder spasms for 6 weeks after that. If you've done something like Body Pump for years, you're probably good to go. I had not; took about a decade of a break from it. Some instructors don't teach proper form, etc., and they don't go around spotting people. Taking advantage of some free or reduced personal training, if available, might be a good option.

Hope this helps!

Dalit

Star
Also saw this on recommended articles just now:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-delay-death-lift-weights?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I need to do strength training at least twice a week. I'm only at once a week right now and it's not enough. It's also only the arms machines in the women's only area. I don't care for my upper arms, but have shown them anyway, at least while exercising aerobically. Maybe with enough time and effort, my arms will look like Michelle Obama's. Just kidding, but eyes on the prize.

DevaWolf

Veteran
We're going to cut refined sugar from our diets this summer, it seems to be the single best thing we can do for our health. Sure is challenging though.

morita

Veteran
Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, in my opinion, because you can do it anywhere and anytime.
I did walking when I started beig active and it has a lot of benefits (physically and mentally) and doesn't require much effort. It works if you do it everyday (which can become redundant) and be mindful abt what you eat.

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, in my opinion, because you can do it anywhere and anytime.
Years ago, when beer and pizza constituted most of my caloric intake, there was a transit strike and I started walking to and from work. It was an hour each way, and within two months I'd lost 30 pounds.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Working out year round, sticking with healthy nutritious foods. If you get hungry because of working out more then eat more protein. When I do strengthening exercises I eat more protein on those days. On the days that I don't to those types of exercise I eat light and eat less protein.

Maes17

Superstar
Well. Calories are energy and recovery.
The more active you are, the more you need to eat to meet those higher demands placed on your body, otherwise you start losing fitness, become moody and essentially reach that overtraining state.

Maes17

Superstar
Also saw this on recommended articles just now:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-delay-death-lift-weights?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I need to do strength training at least twice a week. I'm only at once a week right now and it's not enough. It's also only the arms machines in the women's only area. I don't care for my upper arms, but have shown them anyway, at least while exercising aerobically. Maybe with enough time and effort, my arms will look like Michelle Obama's. Just kidding, but eyes on the prize.
Well if you want toned arms. Work your triceps as well. Tricep pushdowns and tricep pushdown machine works wonders.

morita

Veteran
Well. Calories are energy and recovery.
The more active you are, the more you need to eat to meet those higher demands placed on your body, otherwise you start losing fitness, become moody and essentially reach that overtraining state.
This makes sense. Anytime I start having mood swings or have trouble sleeping I just take a rest day.
I thought creating a caloric deficit was necessary to lose weight though.

Dalit

Star
This makes sense. Anytime I start having mood swings or have trouble sleeping I just take a rest day.
I thought creating a caloric deficit was necessary to lose weight though.
Both, yet overtraining can stress the adrenals and make things worse, at least mood wise, I've found.

And thanks, @Maes17 . Have been working the arms and legs (weak quads may be the source of my knee pain--who knew?). Found water aerobics to be challenging even with the lower impact nature of it since "pool weights" are used. It's a different kind of resistance training. Fun to mix it up, too. Keep the body guessing some.

Lisa

Superstar
Both, yet overtraining can stress the adrenals and make things worse, at least mood wise, I've found.

And thanks, @Maes17 . Keep the body guessing some.
My brother says you have to shock the body when you reach a plateau to lose weight. Like waking up and going on an hour walk and not eating until noon.

Maes17

Superstar
My brother says you have to shock the body when you reach a plateau to lose weight. Like waking up and going on an hour walk and not eating until noon.
Your bro is right in shocking the body. You’re shocking the metabolism really. You can shock the metabolism for awhile with a caloric deficit, but once your body realizes, it’s missing food, your body tries to retain fat cause it thinks it’s in starvation mode. It’s a survival mechanism.

Another way to trick the body is to have a binge day once or twice a week. It kicks your metabolism in gear, similar to the retaining fat, but this time if you’re not in starvation mode and you’re being active, your body is like “hey, I don’t need extra weight”.

Maes17

Superstar

And thanks, @Maes17 . Have been working the arms and legs (weak quads may be the source of my knee pain--who knew?). Found water aerobics to be challenging even with the lower impact nature of it since "pool weights" are used. It's a different kind of resistance training. Fun to mix it up, too. Keep the body guessing some.
Make sure you keep everything balanced to avoid injury.

If you do biceps, do triceps.
Make sure you do hamstrings, along with quads.
If you do upper body push, do upper body pull. I always tell guys and girls who start experiencing shoulder pain if they do any upper back work like rows. Most of the time they neglect back which creates a muscle imbalance. Any muscle that is imbalanced eventually pulls the tendons towards where the muscle is, which is why people develop injuries. Just a fun way to challenge yourself and know when you’re at the gym.

Good luck and have fun.