Squash borers infesting my pumpkins and zuchinni. Advice needed

polymoog

Superstar
theres a tree called "tree spinach" or "chaya". its a tropical, but i dont see why you couldnt put it in a pot and grow it indoors in the temperate zones. you just eat the leaves.
you could also do the same with moringa. VERY easy to grow.

Lurker

Star
Thanks, Lurker!
I want to try to grow indoors (we have seasons here, lol) but I want to try mato's as they are so tasty and high in vitamins/antioxidants. I know they require lots of humidity/heat. Unsure if it's doable with them, though...never grown indoors...
I struggle with tomatoes in the high heat/humidity. That's a spring or late summer/fall crop for me. A quality T-5 high output florescent light should be able to do what you want. They come in a variety of sizes. Off the top of my head, I think a 2 foot/4 bulb light would do two bush tomatoes.

Lurker

Star
Thanks so much @Lurker!
So, only determinate varieties indoors?
Metal halide or high pressure sodium lights could probably do indeterminate. It's all about the lights. Look into hydroponic growing. The info on lighting will still apply to potted plants. The T-5 lights are affordable online, but I recommend cash at a brick and mortar store. No paper trail, as "other" growers use these type of lights.

Lurker

Star
Lol @Lurker didn't even think of that!
Pretty sure the police would be heavily disappointed to discover beefsteak or husky red cherry tomatoes, instead of the "other stuff" lol!
Thanks for the advice!
You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Just for size reference, I use a 2 ft/single bulb for starting a seed tray or rooting cuttings. I usually set the light 2-4 inches above the top of the plant.

polymoog

Superstar
@polymoog
Since you are a "moog of all trades", lol, can I ask what grows well indoors?
I was thinking of indoor gardening for the off- season but wondering what will successfully grow indoors?
Thanks for the last suggestion about those plants!
(Dtrizzle sorry not trying to steal your thread!)
adding to lurkers comments:
best thing to grow are sprouts. very easy to do and most nutritious. broccoli are the most nutritious, but get a mix of lentils, mung, etc. some people also grow mushrooms inside. there are kits you can buy where the wood is innoculated with spores of your favorite type, and of course you can grow these in complete darkness (maybe under the kitchen sink).

Sunshine

Established
Omigosh, I am sorry to inerject and be off topic, and I only wish I had a green thumb, but this thread is the most fun I have had on VC in ages! You guys rock! And Polymoog, you rule! King of the Garden!