Spiritual songs that are part of your story...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Over the years, certain songs have stood out to me or come into my path and have in some ways become the soundtrack to my life. You can tell a lot about what is on the "inside" of people from the kind of music that has woven into their lives.

We already have a thread asking "What are you listening to?". This thread asks when and why...

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Just as a start, and this is an old one, my parents used to play Keith Green in the car on the way to weekends away. At the age of 10 or so the lyrics washed over me. Thirty years later, having realised my spiritual state, the words in this song made sense to me!

rainerann

Star

This song was the introduction to an audio Bible on cassette that I had rented from the library when I was 19. I never listened to the Bible. I just kept rewinding the song and replaying it, which was the strangest thing. It was a super old-fashioned version with a male baritone singing. I knew Jesus had changed me at that moment because I would have never listened to a song like that otherwise.

I still sing this song to myself every now then and am encouraged by remembering this.

Like the woman at the well I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy;
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
"Draw from My well that never shall run dry".

Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, Feed me till I want no more--
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

Helioform

Star
This song was part of a Japanese anime movie that came out in 1996: Ghost In The Shell. I was starting university at the time, and this movie really made me think about what was a soul exactly and how cyborgs would differ from humans. The movie was also very prophetic as it predicted what is happening right now in the world or will soon happen. It brings up issues such as what would happen to the mind of a person if it got "hacked" while connected to the net. A kind of cyber-demonic possession. This anime was the spiritual ancestor of The Matrix movie also.

The song is very haunting as well it combines russian as well as english lyrics. The singer died a few years ago (RIP).

I have ALWAYS maintained that Led Zeppelin has meant more to me than being my favorite rock band - their music, especially the IV/Zoso album and the songs which comprise it, have inspired me, spiritually and have led me down my religious Path. I literally grew up with LZ - the second, as well as the first album, remind me of my childhood and Christmas, of all things! You see...I do not believe all things "occult" are "evil" (if there IS such a thing), nor do I believe that you cannot believe in God the way YOU understand Him, without becoming a lost soul, open to all sorts of "evil". I DO, however, believe there are a number of sick, misguided people in Hollywood o_Oand among the effete & extremely wealthy, who believe in or practice "Satanism" (another thing in which I do not believe) and whatever that means to them...
bring the Balance back...:cool:

Last edited:
This song made me really think about what kind of parent I was and start on a different track before it got too late.

This song made me really think about what kind of parent I was and start on a different track before it got too late.

Grea

I hear you! Great song - it does evoke insight into what sort of PERSON you are! Glad you made good changes for you and your family.

Over the years, certain songs have stood out to me or come into my path and have in some ways become the soundtrack to my life. You can tell a lot about what is on the "inside" of people from the kind of music that has woven into their lives.

We already have a thread asking "What are you listening to?". This thread asks when and why...
Interesting and extremely telling thread! Good idea!! I loved reading what inspired VC members and why!!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have ALWAYS maintained that Led Zeppelin has meant more to me than being my favorite rock band - their music, especially the IV/Zoso album and the songs which comprise it, have inspired me, spiritually and have led me down my religious Path. I literally grew up with LZ - the second, as well as the first album, remind me of my childhood and Christmas, of all things! Bring the Balance back...;)
John Bonham?

http://www.feelnumb.com/2009/07/09/led-zeppelin-iv-zoso-symbols/

Attachments

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I became a Christian when I was very young, but perhaps like someone who married their childhood sweetheart at high school, by the time I was in my 20s I was secretly wondering if the grass was greener in the "world" and for 15 years or so I gradually became colder and more of a spiritual chameleon, able to blend in anywhere! It took a crisis (and me getting what I deserved) to shake me out of my stupidity.

As a child on holiday, my parents would listen to tapes in the car - this song was on one of them and years later I understood the words.

sim hae

Established
For a few months before I was confronted with the reality that God does exist, I had an unquenchable need to hear this song:

I've played this song at least over a thousand times. I've never done such a thing with any other song in my entire life.
Music has always had a big place in my heart but irronically, my love affair with any song was laughably short.
Previously to this experience, I've always grown bored extremely fast of every song I've ever heard. The first few times I would listen to a song it almost feels magical, but after that it's just...meh. It's weird and hard to explain but it just doesn't sound the same..
Yet, this song always sounded the same as that first time, it was impossible to grow sick of it. I wanted to hear it every chance I got and it wasn't even the type of music that would have gotten a second listen from me before my change.
It sounds silly when I actually put it into words but whenever I heard it, I became acutely aware of an important dimension of my being that I didn't know was even there to begin with.

Only after I became a true believer did that imperative need to hear it lessened. So I sometimes jokingly attribute this song with making me a Christian.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
For a few months before I was confronted with the reality that God does exist, I had an unquenchable need to hear this song:

I've played this song at least over a thousand times. I've never done such a thing with any other song in my entire life.
Music has always had a big place in my heart but irronically, my love affair with any song was laughably short.
Previously to this experience, I've always grown bored extremely fast of every song I've ever heard. The first few times I would listen to a song it almost feels magical, but after that it's just...meh. It's weird and hard to explain but it just doesn't sound the same..
Yet, this song always sounded the same as that first time, it was impossible to grow sick of it. I wanted to hear it every chance I got and it wasn't even the type of music that would have gotten a second listen from me before my change.
It sounds silly when I actually put it into words but whenever I heard it, I became acutely aware of an important dimension of my being that I didn't know was even there to begin with.

Only after I became a true believer did that imperative need to hear it lessened. So I sometimes jokingly attribute this song with making me a Christian.
Interesting lyrics! Isn't it odd that in many ways, the followers of Jesus who come here meet each other on the battlefield?

braveheart2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

P.s. this is my "go to" battlefield song:

sim hae

Established
P.s. this is my "go to" battlefield song:

Awesome! I didn't know you were my kind of person Red Sky! Apart from Flyleaf & 12stones I haven't heard any other bands that play these types of songs. But then again, I've been a Christian for like 12 minutes

Another inspiring song for my battlefield would be this one:
A remix...again..
It used to literally be a guilty pleasure when I was a non-believer, I actually felt like a hypocrite a few times for liking it so much considering my world views back then

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Awesome! I didn't know you were my kind of person Red Sky! Apart from Flyleaf & 12stones I haven't heard any other bands that play these types of songs. But then again, I've been a Christian for like 12 minutes

Another inspiring song for my battlefield would be this one:
A remix...again..
It used to literally be a guilty pleasure when I was a non-believer, I actually felt like a hypocrite a few times for liking it so much considering my world views back then
Two bands I had not heard but like the sound of! If you like Celtic influenced Christian Chicago Punk (a bit niche I admit!) you will love Flatfoot 56!

https://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot56

Serveto

Star
My entry is more an observation about somebody else's spirituality, based on empathy for her, as well as possible applicability to me and to my experience.

When Tori Amos's first album was released, it was done so in England, where I was then living in London, and her promoters thought it best to present her first to that market, as a sort of American answer to England's Kate Bush.

I was impressed. From her biographical sketch, I learned that she is the daughter of a Methodist minister, and I could tell, by her piano playing and musicianship, that she can read sheet music. What is more, one of my favorite childhood friends, here in the States, was the son of a Methodist minister, which son had five intriguing sisters, and they all played piano in a large, Victorian-style parsonage. During long, summer afternoons, when he and I were playing football outside, I could hear them practicing lessons from a distance, so I heard echos of this in Tori's album.

Hollywood loved her, naturally, because she sold records, and, in live performances, she would straddle her piano bench like Mary Magdelene, prior to redemption, and sing forthright, insightful songs, at times critical of Christianity. In this one, for instance, and as she explains in her opening, she frankly and unapologetically interweaves Christian hymns with erotic, youthful memories, exploring her own body, and relates it to others in her house more pious, taking Communion, Jesus' body. One line, in particular, has stayed with me through the years. In it, she says: "but I think the good book [Bible] is missing some pages."

Fast forward some decades. She became too abstract for my taste, so lost me as a fan. And then one night she played live, in New York. She did Radiohead's "Creep," passionately, in fact painfully. To me, the signs of being put through the Hollywood winepress are there: she is practically unrecognizable because of plastic surgery. If I had been her husband, or even caring brother, I would have assured her that she is beautiful at every age. "I want a perfect body," she plaintively sings, "I want a perfect soul." Though her audience, for the most part, seems oblivious to it, or is perhaps even encouraging the despair, I think I sense not only a resignation, of sorts, and profound sadness on her part, which is, granted, the song's theme, but also a spiritual jadedness. I have sometimes wondered if Tori, being a talented if waning representative of American popular culture and artistry, ever found what she considered to be the missing pages of the Bible. If not, I hope, for her sake, that sometime she does find them.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I could add the lyrics if you like. Some can’t or won’t watch youtube videos. So many wonderful youtube Christian forums!!! Lots of wonder fellowship amongst the brethren.
Have you come across any positive Christian forums worth joining? I have tried a few but haven't really "settled" anywhere!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Try here. I do plan to be active sometime later on especially this weekend.
https://www.christianforums.com/forums/

My husband has 4 days off and will not for the life of me let me get out of bed due to my pregnancy. My cervix was sewn close. He has boughten me over $6000 in game system and the games. He bought me the Xbox 360 still in mint condition. I’m a massive nintendo fan. I have every nintendo game system and have been collecting all the games that will be definitely be worth much later on in the future. My favourite game system that I still play is on the nintendo gamecube, the wii , the Wii U and the nintendo 3DS XL. You can also buy all the retro mario games without the game system because it allows you to play it as an emulator.

I hope other Christians like this song
God bless you & your families. May God bless and protect those that are his, amen.
Great news for you! Btw the forum you linked to has 250000 members! That is unbelievable - I did join there ages ago but I think I will take another look....

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Anyone who has been a Christian for a while will know that there are times when we slip, times that we do a "Peter" and chicken out of telling the truth, or times when we do a "David" and cover up sins we really enjoy in the moment.

Why God is so gracious to us I do not understand - but he is!

...and having received that grace we know what it means, and can begin to show it to others. None of us are perfect...

I like "An Inspector Calls" by J.B Priestly. Every one on the family were guilty but the inspector looked kindly on the ones who knew and admitted it.

That spirit of grace always puts me in mind of this oldie...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m extremely excited to know there is a good chance that Jesus’ second coming will more than likely happen in our generation/lifetime. With each and every passing day we draw closer and closer, and almost nothing else matters, but the body if Christ and his last lost sheep. It’s so exciting that finally the time is at hand. To finalky see our precious King, our Lord, our Saviour, and our messiah!
Romans 8...

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

This song describes very well the emotions I feel about what may soon happen.