Spiritual songs that are part of your story...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
My dad bought this album when I was a kid and he used to play it in the car on the way to our family weekends away. It wasn't punk or angry enough for my tastes at that age but listening to it again I'm actually taking in the words...

Todd

Star
A good friend of mine introduced me to this song and it put me in mind of a verse I remembered from Galatians 6...

9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

Great song!

Over 20 years ago I played and sung this song while our dance team acted it out. It was powerful presentation of the gospel!
Stilll makes me cry when I hear it today!

Serveto

Star
I was too young to be a hippie, though not by much, but was always chasing the vibe. Many will recognize the Staple Singers as being active during the Civil Rights era and for raising awareness of the plight of racial minorities. My friend, who was a bit older than me and had more clearly developed political opinions at the time, had this, among other songs, on 8-track (lol), and it ranked among my favorites of the album. The lyrics are simple, the music inspiring, and I, for one, am emotionally touched by the sincerity of the narrative, mid-way through the song, about the boy with a string and high-flying kite as it relates to faith ...

Last edited:

Dalit

Star
Maybe someone has mentioned this already, but Rich Mullins, especially his A Liturgy, A Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band and Brother's Keeper. Especially "The Breaks" and most everything minus "The Christmas Song" (weakest song on Liturgy, Legacy, et al). His Isaiah 52:10 song, "The LORD (YHVH) has beared His holy arm...in the sight of all the nations..." it's epic and just captures the fear of YHVH. There are more songs and albums and will share them later.

Dalit

Star
I like to hear the older Gospel Songs, but there are a few current songs that have a good message. The problem with pop Christian Music is that it is created by those who have not come out from among those that Christ has asked of us (2 Cor. 6:17) One of my favorites was "Watch The Lamb" by Ray Boltz....But now he has decided he is gay!!! If you follow the pop Christian music, They live under the principles of this world. They do it for money, praise or notoriety, They are continually getting divorced and marring other divorcees, Amy Grant and Vince Gill both got divorced to marry each other. I watch young people that use to flock to their concerts with more praise for the singers than Godly reverence for fellowship with The Spirit. What is even worse is they give testimonies of God and their faith, but deny the power of it by living in the world. Matthew Chapter 13 is Christ describing the whole of Christendom, from beginning to end. This includes the mixture of professors and born again believers until the harvest and how it will be. God is not saving the world at this time....the world is worse off with true believers than it was in the beginning. Oh yes, the whole world is religious, but the born again believers are a small part of it. Just look at the country, it thrives on immorality, and many in the name of religion! The favorite saying of the media and politicians when a tragedy occurs is" our prayers and thoughts are with you". I ask you, how many of those do you think actually pray? You cant even watch TV anymore without being grieved at the language that is used on prime time TV shows, It gets to the point that I want to throw the TV out in the yard. But just like in Noah's day, many will be left behind. (Matt. 24:37-39)
Hi, Douglas! I was the 9 year old who knew all the Amy Grant songs. Yet, when I heard she had married Vince Gill, first song of hers that came to my mind was "Faithless Heart" from Lead Me On. However, I did hear that her first husband, Gary Chapman, might've been addicted to drugs. Yet you could see the progression of her working with Vince Gill and the feelings being stirred up.

That being said, even former DC Talk's Toby Mac is heavily promoting one-eye symbolism so the fame and money distorts the "gospel" message every time.

Dalit

Star
Thanks for this thread, by the way. Feeling a bit melancholy today and this is bittersweet.

From my CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) years, early 90s through 2000s at least, in no particular order.

1. Margaret Becker's "Light in the Darkness" and "Find Me" and "Never for Nothing"

To me, "Light in the Darkness" is about passion for the Word or being slain by it (Hebrews 4:12).

"Find Me" is a beautiful song about just falling in love with YHVH and Yeshua

"Never for Nothing" because all have loved and lost and you just have to wipe your tears and carry on.

2. PFR--anything by them really and had such a crush on Joel Hanson as a 15 year old. He's Beatle-esque.

"You": "Every scar You endured, every bit of pain, has left its mark on me"

"That Kind of Love" (Joel is the hottie in the glasses)

"Last Breath": "Now moving North in a Southbound parade"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Kl_ro0yOI

"New Way to Live": Just Joel with a haunting chorus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cux15IgW6A

3. Third Day "Consuming Fire": saw this live in college before anyone knew who Third Day was. Still the best of anything they ever did, in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fK9_7ldUvs

4. Switchfoot--it's the honest lyrics that got me, yet they've got weird lightning bolt symbols on their more recent stuff and I've moved away from listening to them because of it. I particularly like "Happy is a Yuppie Word", "24", and "On Fire".

Chem 6A because it describes my generation or the one after mine, not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RCKVP1KTiY

5. Sixpence None the Richer before they got popular.

"Within a Room Somewhere": not sure why I liked this so much because they were rather dark, brooding and melancholy. I wanted to be a writer at the time. Now I wonder if Leah Nash was singing about being in a padded room like Daria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blJ6mP8_ilw

6. Rich Mullins

Heard this on 9/11 and it was prophetic--""Quoting Deuteronomy to the Devil". 2001 was a rough year. I'm just glad I survived it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvtYmhbsDM

May post more later.

Dalit

Star
Wes King's Magnificent Defeat

Also, interesting concept of considering YHVH/God your enemy when He breaks you. He disciplines those He loves (Hebrews 12:6), and, after all, He is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29).

This song always struck me as beautiful and very fitting to my life. Even my mother said it was incredible to go through all I've gone through with disappointment and betrayal by other Christians, crazy churches with crazy doctrines, etc., and still come out of it with my faith intact even though it hasn't left me unscathed. Still question if I'll endure to the end and be prepared for whatever trials come my way. In Revelation 12:11 and 2:10 the phrases "even to the point of death" (2:10) and "loved not their lives even unto death" (12:11) are used and I want to be called, chosen and faithful. Sometimes I still doubt whether I am because even the greats like Solomon (and David, yet he was quick to repent) were deceived by the world, the flesh and the devil. I believe it is important to finish well. It's gotta be Yeshua/Jesus, Mashiach/Christ in you, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). Not to get preachy though. This song means a lot to me and I've lived this song.

What is my purpose for being here
I've had no burning bush or voices in my ear
I have been wandering for all these years
But I've seen no manna or angels appear

And now I long for the solace of my soul
I have wandered from pole to pole
Here I lie, broken at Your feet
Rejoicing at this Magnificent Defeat

I have been wrestling all through the night
The darkness hides the face of the one I fight
Beloved Enemy, demands my life and all I am
But then He blesses me and gives it back again

Rejoicing, rejoicing
Yeah, yeah

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
So many times (but less these days) I have listened to what people have said about me and let those words have power over me. There came a time when I actively chose to ignore them and live for the approval of One.

A good friend of mine sent me a few songs - I loved all of them but this one really struck a chord with me!

Dalit

Star
So many times (but less these days) I have listened to what people have said about me and let those words have power over me. There came a time when I actively chose to ignore them and live for the approval of One.

A good friend of mine sent me a few songs - I loved all of them but this one really struck a chord with me!

That's the right way to live. :)

Dalit

Star
Wes King's Magnificent Defeat

Also, interesting concept of considering YHVH/God your enemy when He breaks you. He disciplines those He loves (Hebrews 12:6), and, after all, He is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29).

This song always struck me as beautiful and very fitting to my life. Even my mother said it was incredible to go through all I've gone through with disappointment and betrayal by other Christians, crazy churches with crazy doctrines, etc., and still come out of it with my faith intact even though it hasn't left me unscathed. Still question if I'll endure to the end and be prepared for whatever trials come my way. In Revelation 12:11 and 2:10 the phrases "even to the point of death" (2:10) and "loved not their lives even unto death" (12:11) are used and I want to be called, chosen and faithful. Sometimes I still doubt whether I am because even the greats like Solomon (and David, yet he was quick to repent) were deceived by the world, the flesh and the devil. I believe it is important to finish well. It's gotta be Yeshua/Jesus, Mashiach/Christ in you, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). Not to get preachy though. This song means a lot to me and I've lived this song.

What is my purpose for being here
I've had no burning bush or voices in my ear
I have been wandering for all these years
But I've seen no manna or angels appear

I have been wrestling all through the night
The darkness hides the face of the one I fight
Beloved Enemy, demands my life and all I am
But then He blesses me and gives it back again

Rejoicing, rejoicing
Yeah, yeah
Just realized this song could also be about Ephraim, grandson of Jacob/Israel, and Jacob/Israel--one who struggled with God and was renamed. :)

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6MntMaupF2LxDLPg9rfK8g
Melej Maljei Hamelajim (King of Kings)
Forgive me father for I have sinned to you
Forgive me for all my crimes Including the days that I forgot you
You were always
In my life
All the paths that I went through
You were a light to my feet
I was blind, I couldn't see beyond
What my eyes saw.
King of kings, thank you for life
For happiness, for crying, for laughing
Even when it is hard at time, it is also,
G-D You are never far behind
Also when I walk and my path is dark
I trust you my G-D
For a second half (wife?), for firstborn boy and for a girl
Thank you also for the abundance of happiness
Thank you for the holidays
And for Shabbat that I keep
That should never end
Every day that passes on my way to paradise
I have set you in front of My eyes King of kings...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
This one
Melej Maljei Hamelajim (King of Kings)
Forgive me father for I have sinned to you
Forgive me for all my crimes Including the days that I forgot you
You were always
In my life
All the paths that I went through
You were a light to my feet
I was blind, I couldn't see beyond
What my eyes saw.
King of kings, thank you for life
For happiness, for crying, for laughing
Even when it is hard at time, it is also,
G-D You are never far behind
Also when I walk and my path is dark
I trust you my G-D
For a second half (wife?), for firstborn boy and for a girl
Thank you also for the abundance of happiness
Thank you for the holidays
And for Shabbat that I keep
That should never end
Every day that passes on my way to paradise
I have set you in front of My eyes King of kings...
This one came up right after yours in the YouTube playlist...