Spiritual songs that are part of your story...

It's not a song it's a poem....and it isn't some long and fancy take about my special life story.
It's just a reminder to keep my shit together in a mad world you know?

BY RUDYARD KIPLING
(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It's not a song it's a poem....and it isn't some long and fancy take about my special life story.
It's just a reminder to keep my shit together in a mad world you know?

BY RUDYARD KIPLING
(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
I love that one as well!!?

I love that one as well!!?
I happen to have some of the original late 19th century Rudyard Kipling books. The first editions.
They're worth a lot in reality but I've seen them go really cheap on eBay...I end up collecting them.

Now about this poem, it actually carries an authentic Christian way of living...non-action. like the parable of the birds. The idea being not to chase anything but to focus on the qualities through God and accept whatever 'fruit' comes your way courtesy of those qualities. What is meant to be yours will be regardless of whether or not you strive for it.

right action (the law) Vs non-action (faith)

But if you appreciate this poem then you should love this...

http://thetaoteching.com/taoteching1.html
If you substitute the 'tao' with the logos..it's the same ultimate meaning btw.

^^
The 'darkness/void' they talk about is what the new testament calls the 'invisible Father' or the Essence of God.
Even buddah's experience of moskha really was occurring at that level of consciousness ...a level beyond even diety
(Sorry for going off topic)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
^^
The 'darkness/void' they talk about is what the new testament calls the 'invisible Father' or the Essence of God.
Even buddah's experience of moskha really was occurring at that level of consciousness ...a level beyond even diety
(Sorry for going off topic)
Whether logos is a reflection of tau, or tau of logos is perhaps where our interpretations differ, but I'm glad we share the same taste in poetry!

Over the years, certain songs have stood out to me or come into my path and have in some ways become the soundtrack to my life. You can tell a lot about what is on the "inside" of people from the kind of music that has woven into their lives.
I like to hear the older Gospel Songs, but there are a few current songs that have a good message. The problem with pop Christian Music is that it is created by those who have not come out from among those that Christ has asked of us (2 Cor. 6:17) One of my favorites was "Watch The Lamb" by Ray Boltz....But now he has decided he is gay!!! If you follow the pop Christian music, They live under the principles of this world. They do it for money, praise or notoriety, They are continually getting divorced and marring other divorcees, Amy Grant and Vince Gill both got divorced to marry each other. I watch young people that use to flock to their concerts with more praise for the singers than Godly reverence for fellowship with The Spirit. What is even worse is they give testimonies of God and their faith, but deny the power of it by living in the world. Matthew Chapter 13 is Christ describing the whole of Christendom, from beginning to end. This includes the mixture of professors and born again believers until the harvest and how it will be. God is not saving the world at this time....the world is worse off with true believers than it was in the beginning. Oh yes, the whole world is religious, but the born again believers are a small part of it. Just look at the country, it thrives on immorality, and many in the name of religion! The favorite saying of the media and politicians when a tragedy occurs is" our prayers and thoughts are with you". I ask you, how many of those do you think actually pray? You cant even watch TV anymore without being grieved at the language that is used on prime time TV shows, It gets to the point that I want to throw the TV out in the yard. But just like in Noah's day, many will be left behind. (Matt. 24:37-39)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I like to hear the older Gospel Songs, but there are a few current songs that have a good message. The problem with pop Christian Music is that it is created by those who have not come out from among those that Christ has asked of us (2 Cor. 6:17) One of my favorites was "Watch The Lamb" by Ray Boltz....But now he has decided he is gay!!! If you follow the pop Christian music, They live under the principles of this world. They do it for money, praise or notoriety, They are continually getting divorced and marring other divorcees, Amy Grant and Vince Gill both got divorced to marry each other. I watch young people that use to flock to their concerts with more praise for the singers than Godly reverence for fellowship with The Spirit. What is even worse is they give testimonies of God and their faith, but deny the power of it by living in the world. Matthew Chapter 13 is Christ describing the whole of Christendom, from beginning to end. This includes the mixture of professors and born again believers until the harvest and how it will be. God is not saving the world at this time....the world is worse off with true believers than it was in the beginning. Oh yes, the whole world is religious, but the born again believers are a small part of it. Just look at the country, it thrives on immorality, and many in the name of religion! The favorite saying of the media and politicians when a tragedy occurs is" our prayers and thoughts are with you". I ask you, how many of those do you think actually pray? You cant even watch TV anymore without being grieved at the language that is used on prime time TV shows, It gets to the point that I want to throw the TV out in the yard. But just like in Noah's day, many will be left behind. (Matt. 24:37-39)
I know just what you mean - people who start well and finish badly always sadden me. I don't really look up to any "stars", I'm fairly eclectic in my styles and taste - I tend to listen more to what is said than who might be saying it (if that makes sense?).

E.g. I have no idea, good or bad, who Candi Staton is!

I think 1 Philippians speaks to this...

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Last edited:

Bacsi

Star

I often sing our Shamanic songs when I feel the call of ancestors in my soul. Sometimes when I'm in a new country or any new place in general, I strongly feel the presence of local ancestral spirits. Then I will sing these Shamanic songs to establish good communication with them.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
While Paul at the time says in pretense (To make something that is not the case appear as true), He makes it clear that no man should preach another Gospel than was preached to them in the beginning, for if he does.....let him be accursed. (Gal. 1:8-9). On many forums, the moderators will not let you correct false doctrine, believing, everyone is entitled to believe what they want! And so goes the falling away by the religious....not the born again believer (The parable of the Leven, Mustard Seed and Tares among the Wheat)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
While Paul at the time says in pretense (To make something that is not the case appear as true), He makes it clear that no man should preach another Gospel than was preached to them in the beginning, for if he does.....let him be accursed. (Gal. 1:8-9). On many forums, the moderators will not let you correct false doctrine, believing, everyone is entitled to believe what they want! And so goes the falling away by the religious....not the born again believer (The parable of the Leven, Mustard Seed and Tares among the Wheat)
I seem to find myself getting in trouble with Catholics and works based salvation types on other forums!

I really dislike "religion" as it looks to me like false encouragement that you're "doing OK" whereas we all fall short and need a saviour.

Whether logos is a reflection of tau, or tau of logos is perhaps where our interpretations differ, but I'm glad we share the same taste in poetry!
That only goes back to my earlier point ie that the metaphysics is the same for all humans but our interpretations differ.
What we call God others might call something else entirely.

What Kipling's poem illustrated was the same wisdom found throughout the world but especially in the Tao te ching, ie to hold no attachment to the physical but instead know what all things come and go according to the the qualities inherent in us ie plant seeds and the harvest comes however it comes Every person posesses a different quality of 'soil' and every seed is different, every tree is different, every fruit is different etc

Serveto

Star

I often sing our Shamanic songs when I feel the call of ancestors in my soul. Sometimes when I'm in a new country or any new place in general, I strongly feel the presence of local ancestral spirits. Then I will sing these Shamanic songs to establish good communication with them.
Although I am not in touch with any of my dead ancestors, except, perhaps, by way of what Jung called the "collective unconscious" and those of us, including myself, in my family who are interlocked with and by their DNA, I listened to your ancestors' decidedly appealing invitation to party, considered it for a moment, but was overridden by my ancestors' irrepressible propensity to fight and gain territory :cool: ...

JoChris

Superstar
I am posting this even though I found out years later Geron Davis is a Oneness Penetecostal (denies Trinity). http://www.letusreason.org/onenes25.htm
Moral of story: don't assume Christian bookstore automatically means products are 100% mainstream Christian doctrinally.

-----
Now this was the first time I had ever walked into the store. I had only just re-committed my life to Jesus. I was in a state of internal unrest and felt extreme shame due to my backsliding. That song started playing soon after I entered the store. I have only bought a couple of Christian CDs ; I chose one of them because of that song.

https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/geron-davis/mercy-saw-me-38

Bacsi

Star
Although I am not in touch with any of my dead ancestors, except, perhaps, by way of what Jung called the "collective unconscious" and those of us, including myself, in my family who are interlocked with and by their DNA, I listened to your ancestors' decidedly appealing invitation to party, considered it for a moment, but was overridden by my ancestors' irrepressible propensity to fight and gain territory :cool: ...

Hahaha. Good music. Some similar sounds. My anscestors weren't bad at expansion either, 9th largest country in the world today. Until their technology wasn't good enough anymore so they eventually fell under much stronger neighbour. We have warrior culture worshipping Batirs or strongmen.

Bacsi

Star

Collective unconscious. is this something psychological or metaphysical? Not familiar with Jung. Will check it out

JoChris

Superstar
I’ve been listening to the song since I was a little girl, we were only allowed to listen to Christian music, so I know all of Steve Camp’s songs off by heart. They were my most treasured music during my teenager years for the most part.

It’s special to me because of someone that I knew who was being bullied so cruelly that it really drove to emd up in a mental institutite against her will. I was the only one who believes her, no body else does. I won’t go into anymore details, she wouldn’t appreciate that I’m sure. Those songs are special because there are not to many people who stay faithful, loyal and true to one another. Everyone’s so quick to throw each other under the bus left and right.

Here is a thought and I know that it's right
So we better sit down and talk tonight
We're being torn away from our fam'ly and friends
No time for the Lord
How subtle it begins
I know the truth and you know it, too
Now it's very clear what we've got to do
Well, I'm not sure what you have heard
But what I mean can be said in one word
To get

Closer, closer
We've gotta get closer, closer
Say what's in your heart
Tell them that you love 'em tonight

There is a plan and the time has come
Not for a few but for ev'ryone
You're looking for truth
And if you really want to know
The Lord's gonna show
You the way you should go
To bring into our lives and the dream that we see
He's gonna start with you and with me
So now we've heard what we've gotta do
And ev'ry day the Lord's words come through
To get

Closer, closer
Say what's in your heart
Tell them that you love 'em tonight

We've gotta get get closer, closer
Now's the time to start
Trust Him; it'll be alright

So long, we can't see the end
When we think it's not near
We say we'll slow down
But we're never with the ones we hold dear
And I can see where there'll come a time
When no one's close
And that's a crime
You know it's true
It's even happening now
We got to wake up
And we better learn how to get

Closer, closer
Say what's in your heart
Tell Him that you love Him tonight
It's not too late to start

So wrong. You know that it's wrong
When there's no change in sight
While it's still light
We've gotta get closer before the night
Now I know how it could be
And I'm so concerned with what I see
If we don't start now, we better watch out
We need God's help
'Cause we've gotta learn how to get

Closer, closer
Say what's in your heart
Tell Him that you love Him tonight
It's not too late to start
Thank you for sharing that. :)

Bacsi

Star
I love this Shamanic song. The lyrics are beautiful about temporary nature and illusion of this life. The technique of singing is called Throat Singing. It's not a musical instrument making the vibration, but actually the singer by his throat. This tradition has been kept for tens and hundreds of thousands of years. It's very ancient

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
A good friend of mine introduced me to this song and it put me in mind of a verse I remembered from Galatians 6...

9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.