Speaking in tongues. What is it and what's its purpose?

Wigi

Veteran
Can you refer me to what part in the Bible is the language of the heavens mentioned? When I read of people praying privately in the Bible from the Old to the New Testament not once is a heavenly language mentioned
There ?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."
1 Corinthians 13:1‭-‬2

I know it's to emphasis the importance of love but Paul clearly distinguish both gifts of prophecy and tongues and go as far as to add "and of angels". My understanding is he wouldn't have added that if it clearly is not possible at all and would just say "tongues of men".

And if there is no interpreter, the speaker is simply “speaking into the air” and the only ones present who know what is being said are God and the speaker and that is not the point of speaking in tongues/languages
Outside of the context of the Church it is also possible to pray in tongues.

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
Romans 8:26‭-‬27

Once again i'm not debating the proper use or misuse of the gift, I needed to know if it's existence is biblical and safe.

phipps

Star
@Wigi

There ?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."
1 Corinthians 13:1‭-‬2

I know it's to emphasis the importance of love but Paul clearly distinguish both gifts of prophecy and tongues and go as far as to add "and of angels". My understanding is he wouldn't have added that if it clearly is not possible at all and would just say "tongues of men".
I already posted about this in this very thread in this post. I will repost it part of here again.

Some have asked, "Didn't Paul say he spoke with the tongues of angels?"

No. Paul said, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels ..." (1 Corinthians 13:1, emphasis added). If you read this verse in its context, you will see that the word "though" means "even if." For example, Paul also said in verse 2, "Though I have all faith ..." He did not have all faith. And verse 3 adds, "Though I give my body to be burned ..." Paul was beheaded, not burned. So we can see that Paul here used the word "though" to mean "even if."
Also there is not any single part of the Bible that shows anyone praying in a "heavenly language" in private prayer. Not the patriarchs and prophets, nor the apostles (including Paul) and Jesus. One of my favourite prayers in the Bible is Daniel's prayer in Daniel chapter 9. Daniel prayed in the common language he used everyday. Jesus too used the common language He used in prayer to God.

If the subject of praying in a heavenly language privately existed in the Bible it would have been written of specifically but there is nothing nor are there examples of anyone praying in a heavenly language.

Outside of the context of the Church it is also possible to pray in tongues.

"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
Romans 8:26‭-‬27
I've also posted about this in the same post that I posted part of above. I'll repost that too.

Many of my charismatic friends would agree that the tongues spoken in the book of Acts were normal languages of the world. But they quickly add that there is a second gift-a heavenly prayer language. This gift, they say, is to express the Spirit's "groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26). The purpose, they say, is so the devil cannot understand our prayers. But nowhere are we taught to hide our prayers from the devil. He trembles when he hears Christians pray!
Once again i'm not debating the proper use or misuse of the gift, I needed to know if it's existence is biblical and safe.
The purpose of every gift is to edify the church family. The gift of speaking in tongues is not given to anyone for private use. It is given for preaching the gospel so that people hear the gospel in their own language. That is the truth of the Bible.

God bless.

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
@Wigi

I already posted about this in this very thread in this post. I will repost it part of here again.

Also there is not any single part of the Bible that shows anyone praying in a "heavenly language" in private prayer. Not the patriarchs and prophets, nor the apostles (including Paul) and Jesus. One of my favourite prayers in the Bible is Daniel's prayer in Daniel chapter 9. Daniel prayed in the common language he used everyday. Jesus too used the common language He used in prayer to God.

If the subject of praying in a heavenly language privately existed in the Bible it would have been written of specifically but there is nothing nor are there examples of anyone praying in a heavenly language.

I've also posted about this in the same post that I posted part of above. I'll repost that too.

The purpose of every gift is to edify the church family. The the gift of speaking in tongues is not given to anyone for private use. It is given for preaching the gospel so that people hear the gospel in their own language. That is the truth of the Bible.

God bless.
Yeah i've heard some of these explanation before, I still don't know what to think of it.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any of these gifts yourself or have you seen someone manifesting them at church? It's not a trap or anything, I genuinely want to know if it's your spiritual life experience speaking or more a denominational stance you take. Cause i know some folks would argue we have to give up most gifts of the Spirit because we're left with virtually nothing today.

phipps

Star
@Wigi

Yeah i've heard some of these explanation before, I still don't know what to think of it.
I suggest you study the entire subject in the Bible prayerfully and ask God to give you wisdom and understanding and to help you accept the truth of His Word.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any of these gifts yourself or have you seen someone manifesting them at church? It's not a trap or anything, I genuinely want to know if it's your spiritual life experience speaking or more a denominational stance you take. Cause i know some folks would argue we have to give up most gifts of the Spirit because we're left with virtually nothing today.
I have seen spiritual gifts being manifested such as faith, wisdom, speaking knowledge, discernment, charity and giving. I have seen people use them in action with my own eyes and have brought people to God through their spiritual gifts. I know a person who has a deep faith in God that it can't shaken no matter what they go through in life and it gives encouragement to others. I know another person who has the gift of charity and giving and it has impacted on people.

God's people will always have spiritual gifts that they will use till probation closes to bring God's truth to people around the world and to strengthen God's church.

The Bible actually teaches we can lose our spiritual gifts if we choose not to use them or use them for selfish ambition. The parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-29 is about that. Also the story of Balaam (Numbers 22-24) shows us about the misuse of our spiritual gifts. God may take our spiritual gifts and give them to others who will use them. If we choose to use our spiritual gifts the way God calls us to, we can end up being an incredible blessing.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
1 Corinthians 14:22, "Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe."

According to the Apostle Paul, the gift of Prophecy is for the believers and the gift of tongues is only for the unbelievers…it is a reversal of the confusion of the tongues at the tower of Babel for the purpose of spreading the Gospel story to those of another tongue who have not heard the Gospel story.

Furthermore, the Apostle Paul also said the following regarding the gift of tongues in the context of the church.

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge…. Let all things be done decently and in order" (1 Corinthians 14:27-40).

Paul wrote that he spoke in tongues more than the others in the Corinthian church. Remember, that he was well educated and spoke Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek and probably more languages. So, there were few parts of the Roman Empire where he could not naturally communicate with the local populace. He may have been referring to this “gift” in the passage in 1 Corinthians, but it certainly does not rule out the supernatural gift of tongues as well. He had travelled more extensively in his missionary journeys than the others and thus also may have had a need for the supernatural gift of tongues. So as one with the most “experience” with the gift of tongues, we would do well to pay attention to his advice on this topic.

phipps

Star
1695381206666.png
1 Corinthians 14:27-40, "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. ... But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. ... For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. ... Let all things be done decently and in order."

All members of God's church cannot receive the same gift from God too.

Last edited: