So.... about Australia being on fire?

JoChris

Superstar
The creepy red color has to play on people's psyche. Best of luck to all Aussies. I think the winds are supposed to drop in the next day or two from what I have seen.
The milder weather is a temporary reprieve. The heatwave is forecast to come back in a few days. http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/heatwave/#heatwave-forecasts

There are worries massive fires are going to merge right now. https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/fears-of-three-fires-to-merging-into-megablaze/live-coverage/e43df6ebe3be8b8d639350922e5fa854

Awoken2

Superstar
Forgive me for asking a stupid question but all these fires along the east coast are in quite close proximity to the sea. Why is a highly industrialised country unable to rig up high powered pumps and attack the fires with an endless supply of sea water?

Is there not the technology available to move large quantities of sea water a comparatively short distance to try and put Australia out of this misery?

@Lisa ...ya we know, they don't have hoses that long. Save it eh?

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar

JoChris

Superstar
Forgive me for asking a stupid question but all these fires along the east coast are in quite close proximity to the sea. Why is a highly industrialised country unable to rig up high powered pumps and attack the fires with an endless supply of sea water?

Is there not the technology available to move large quantities of sea water a comparatively short distance to try and put Australia out of this misery?

@Lisa ...ya we know, they don't have hoses that long. Save it eh?
The salt residue would kill absolutely everything left behind. I wish it was fresh water.
There were calls for desalination plants and a lot more dams years ago for periods of drought, but then a severe La Nina came through and caused massive flooding. People's memories are very short.
Australia always goes from one extreme to another. The only consistent pattern right now is the weather getting hotter every year.

JoChris

Superstar

Wigi

Veteran
Great twitter image here to give you all an idea how bad it is:

It was on https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/the-size-of-australia-shocks-america-in-bushfire-map-comparisons/news-story/164589ea8d6e2f339340cc45ae671ebf

For the first time in days I can't smell smoke because there was a bit of rain overnight. The fires are still happening down south.
This is heartbreaking, I hope you're safe.

I came across this and I wonder if it is true:

Glad 2 know

Veteran
I'm so glad someone posted this URGENT piece of news. There needs to be awareness to this. I like to keep up with news that have to do with nature and weather and I have NEVER EVER seen such terrible devastation in Australia. It's like these fires are NOT NATURAL. Like something is feeding the fire besides the heat and the lack of moisture.
Even if arsonists were responsible, I don't think the fires should be burning this ferociously. I myself have seen how California has burned from 10 years ago to now, and I have seen the GREAT difference. Fires used to burn greatly yes, specially in the dry and windy fall season but they used to put them out in a relatively short time compared to now.
Now a days these fires just burn and burn and burn like someone was continuously pouring some kind of flammable substance so as to keep the fires from being extinguished.
:(DEFINITELY WORST FIRES I HAVE EVER SEEN:(
I am constantly thinking about the people and animals affected by this. I have seen pictures of injured koalas and it breaks my heart.
Also I saw an article somewhere how birds were dropping dead because it was soooooooooooooooo hot :(:(:(

Lisa

Superstar
I'm so glad someone posted this URGENT piece of news. There needs to be awareness to this. I like to keep up with news that have to do with nature and weather and I have NEVER EVER seen such terrible devastation in Australia. It's like these fires are NOT NATURAL. Like something is feeding the fire besides the heat and the lack of moisture.
Even if arsonists were responsible, I don't think the fires should be burning this ferociously. I myself have seen how California has burned from 10 years ago to now, and I have seen the GREAT difference. Fires used to burn greatly yes, specially in the dry and windy fall season but they used to put them out in a relatively short time compared to now.
Now a days these fires just burn and burn and burn like someone was continuously pouring some kind of flammable substance so as to keep the fires from being extinguished.
:(DEFINITELY WORST FIRES I HAVE EVER SEEN:(
I am constantly thinking about the people and animals affected by this. I have seen pictures of injured koalas and it breaks my heart.
Also I saw an article somewhere how birds were dropping dead because it was soooooooooooooooo hot :(:(:(
Frank posted this interesting video elsewhere...but since you bring these things up I’ll repost it.

JoChris

Superstar
I was just going to post that myself. I wonder if it’s true if that has scared the arsonists straight? Still..that’s a lot of warped people of true.
There have been both arsonists and absolute idiots throwing cigarette butts out car windows too. A cop on Sunrise warned they were going to come down hard on the latter group as well. How could ANYONE be that stupid?!!! :mad:
I would love to see the old fashioned stocks and throwing rotten tomatoes at people who started bushfires too. Maybe public humiliation could be a deterrent for some people.

Lisa

Superstar
There have been both arsonists and absolute idiots throwing cigarette butts out car windows too. A cop on Sunrise warned they were going to come down hard on the latter group as well. How could ANYONE be that stupid?!!! :mad:
I would love to see the old fashioned stocks and throwing rotten tomatoes at people who started bushfires too. Maybe public humiliation could be a deterrent for some people.

I have no idea how people can be that stupid...maybe that’s really how the other fires started..cigarettes? Lol! That would be pretty awesome to see them in stocks with maybe egg on their face? Hee, hee.

Reactions: Sam

Lisa

Superstar
Honestly as soon as I saw some of the images in Australia I thought of California.
It doesn't help there have been images released of beams of light in the fire just like in california
One thing I see is that the trees around those first photos was that the trees left standing are green..maybe that’s why they are left standing..they had water stored in them or something? I’ve tried to throw a wet log onto a fire..it doesn’t burn.

Even around those 2 burned buildings..the trees are green..however, I‘d say that’s the iffy part of the story of how its just those buildings...where I can see that maybe something else was done there.