Slutty sheep: Veteran academics warn college students are going off the rails

Karlysymon

Superstar
It isnt college or social media thats the "problem" - its parents. We shelter these kids, hover over them, dont teach them independance or responsibility or consequences for actions then they turn 18 and we are convinced by some miracle they are just going to morph into responsible adults.

We send off children that have never had an independant thought in their life, never had a resposibility, never had a significant consequence to college with no adult supervision or accountability and then act surprised when they indulge their more base instincts? We are the ones with a problem..
So true. Your account reminds me of a story my friend, who teaches public high school, told me years ago. She said there was this teenager who had such a lackadaisical approach to his school work, and was somewhat arrogant about it because he knew his mum would come to his rescue if he was ever told to do otherwise. Even though my friend gave him failing marks for not completing his assignments, his mum would march down to the school in his defense and give all the teachers an earful for not giving him passing grades because she wanted him to go some prestigious university once he was finished high school. While my friend and the other teachers would give him failing marks, the principal got tired of the mother griping about her son’s marks and told the teachers to pass him so they all didn’t have to deal with the mother. Begrudgingly, the teachers gave him passing marks to end the drama with the helicopter mother and her indolent son.

Now here’s the kicker: Once he graduated, the teenager was able to get into the university his mother wanted him to attend. However, due to him not having any self-discipline and prior knowledge in any topics, he didn’t understand or complete the work assigned. Unbeknownst to the mother, the kid pretended to go to school for at least ½ of a semester, and it wasn’t until the university called asking his whereabouts, did the mother find out he wasn’t attending it. Added to the fact, it was too late in the semester for him to officially drop out and get a refund, the mum ended up losing $15K.

The karmic element in this was so potent that my friend and I couldn’t stop laughing. However, it clearly shows how parents today are willing to coddle their children at their own expense. Sadly, this kid never knew what it was like to ask more of himself and be in the frame of mind to challenge himself to learn.
How To Land Your Kid in Therapy...and the societal changes that have led to this mess.

The Coddling.

williejonesjr

Veteran
When I lived in the dorms, I didn't get much play from the ladies. I did have a buddy, Sully, a Saint Bernard, I think.
Anyway, I must have been at the wrong school.

I lived there one whole semester before I got booted for my gas, someone complained I guess. Then I had to come back and live with my brother. I don't get any play here, either.

williejonesjr

Veteran
It isnt college or social media thats the "problem" - its parents. We shelter these kids, hover over them, dont teach them independance or responsibility or consequences for actions then they turn 18 and we are convinced by some miracle they are just going to morph into responsible adults.

We send off children that have never had an independant thought in their life, never had a resposibility, never had a significant consequence to college with no adult supervision or accountability and then act surprised when they indulge their more base instincts? We are the ones with a problem..
I really agree with this.
It's absolutely the truth.

williejonesjr

Veteran
So true. Your account reminds me of a story my friend, who teaches public high school, told me years ago. She said there was this teenager who had such a lackadaisical approach to his school work, and was somewhat arrogant about it because he knew his mum would come to his rescue if he was ever told to do otherwise. Even though my friend gave him failing marks for not completing his assignments, his mum would march down to the school in his defense and give all the teachers an earful for not giving him passing grades because she wanted him to go some prestigious university once he was finished high school. While my friend and the other teachers would give him failing marks, the principal got tired of the mother griping about her son’s marks and told the teachers to pass him so they all didn’t have to deal with the mother. Begrudgingly, the teachers gave him passing marks to end the drama with the helicopter mother and her indolent son.

Now here’s the kicker: Once he graduated, the teenager was able to get into the university his mother wanted him to attend. However, due to him not having any self-discipline and prior knowledge in any topics, he didn’t understand or complete the work assigned. Unbeknownst to the mother, the kid pretended to go to school for at least ½ of a semester, and it wasn’t until the university called asking his whereabouts, did the mother find out he wasn’t attending it. Added to the fact, it was too late in the semester for him to officially drop out and get a refund, the mum ended up losing $15K.

The karmic element in this was so potent that my friend and I couldn’t stop laughing. However, it clearly shows how parents today are willing to coddle their children at their own expense. Sadly, this kid never knew what it was like to ask more of himself and be in the frame of mind to challenge himself to learn.
This is more the norm nowadays. I've heard stories like this a lot in the past 20 years.
And it is 100% the parents fault. Had the kid failed at an earlier age, he wouldn't have failed so badly as a young adult.

I think boys and girls should have separate schools and that schools should emphasize trades like they used to. But that would probably put a dent in the debt based aspect of college so here we are...

Etagloc

Superstar
How To Land Your Kid in Therapy...and the societal changes that have led to this mess.

The Coddling.
this is exactly why i don't care if i offend people. if I expressed belief in God when I was growing up- no one really cared. if you were a believer- great. if you weren't- people respected it regardless. nowadays you mention anything people don't agree with.... people act like you're oppressing them.

justjess

Superstar
this is exactly why i don't care if i offend people. if I expressed belief in God when I was growing up- no one really cared. if you were a believer- great. if you weren't- people respected it regardless. nowadays you mention anything people don't agree with.... people act like you're oppressing them.
Im sorry, i do not see how thatts at all relevant to the article.

Does every conversation have to end up back here? Religious vs non religious? Is it at all possible to put that aside for common ground once in a while?

Kung Fu

Superstar
It's so cool to dehumanize people by calling them "sheep". You know, rather than simply stating they are misguided, we call them animals...

Who cares if someone is sexually promiscuous? I know people that are... And they are people who would bleed for their friends or even strangers. They just like to have sex. Still good people and that's what matters.

Academics is shit... But it isn't because of sex.
I truly believe it's because of people like you who reinforce this idea of "do whatever you want as long you're not hurting anyone" attitude that has lead society here. You reiterate and support all the talking points that the elite put out.

Many of us on here are tired of seeing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, fatherless/motherless children, extremely high divorce rates, and etc.

Academics is shit? Are we to look at your post and work and trust what you say? I don't think so my friend.

DeathlyHallows

Established
As a teacher, they want us to foster inquiry. Kids thinking and questioning for themselves basically. The problem is...the kids don't want to think, question, or have an independent thought. They want the newest Jordans, a funny meme, and think that cheating is just "sharing" and "sharing is caring Miss." They have no regard for others, they actually try to walk weird, so they don't crease their shoes, because them are collector's items. Keep in mind, I teach in a school with 85% free and reduced lunch.
My kids were not potty trained by 2, had pacifiers way too long, and bottles too. However, they are 5 1/2 and almost 4, and they can do MANY things for themselves. Learned helplessness is a thing, and it is way too common these days. (My 2 cents for what it is worth...which is less than 2 cents). Oh and the school and education quote...Mark Twain.

I truly believe it's because of people like you who reinforce this idea of "do whatever you want as long you're not hurting anyone" attitude that has lead society here. You reiterate and support all the talking points that the elite put out.

Many of us on here are tired of seeing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, fatherless/motherless children, extremely high divorce rates, and etc.

Academics is shit? Are we to look at your post and work and trust what you say? I don't think so my friend.
I'd like you to point to a point in history when "do as I say" was any better than "do what you want". I haven't seen much other than various tyrannies and a whole lot of people killing in the name of their preferred god. I don't want a world were we just exchange the new boss for the old one, I want a world were people realize they don't actually need a boss at all.

I don't see the point of fighting against one tyranny, only to put another it its place. I personally want to live in a world we folks care more about their fellow man's welfare than what they believe or who they decide to sleep with.