Slutty sheep: Veteran academics warn college students are going off the rails

It's so cool to dehumanize people by calling them "sheep". You know, rather than simply stating they are misguided, we call them animals...

Who cares if someone is sexually promiscuous? I know people that are... And they are people who would bleed for their friends or even strangers. They just like to have sex. Still good people and that's what matters.

Academics is shit... But it isn't because of sex.

justjess

Superstar
It isnt college or social media thats the "problem" - its parents. We shelter these kids, hover over them, dont teach them independance or responsibility or consequences for actions then they turn 18 and we are convinced by some miracle they are just going to morph into responsible adults.

We send off children that have never had an independant thought in their life, never had a resposibility, never had a significant consequence to college with no adult supervision or accountability and then act surprised when they indulge their more base instincts? We are the ones with a problem..

Damien50

Star
It isnt college or social media thats the "problem" - its parents. We shelter these kids, hover over them, dont teach them independance or responsibility or consequences for actions then they turn 18 and we are convinced by some miracle they are just going to morph into responsible adults.

We send off children that have never had an independant thought in their life, never had a resposibility, never had a significant consequence to college with no adult supervision or accountability and then act surprised when they indulge their more base instincts? We are the ones with a problem..
Were you watching me for the past seven years lol?

justjess

Superstar
Should i have been lol?

Ive been working with kids for 11 years and im constantly shocked at how juvenile and immature they are compared to when i was a kid. Im constantly horrified by the overinvolved never satisfied parents who refuse to even allpw their kids to try to stand on their own two feet a little. Who rush to defend and deflect at any sign of normal trouble that the kod needs to go through to learn.

We are short circuiting the natural developmental process to try to protect our kods from a scary world, and while i get it, its doing these kids a huge disservice in the long run.

Damien50

Star
Should i have been lol?

Ive been working with kids for 11 years and im constantly shocked at how juvenile and immature they are compared to when i was a kid. Im constantly horrified by the overinvolved never satisfied parents who refuse to even allpw their kids to try to stand on their own two feet a little. Who rush to defend and deflect at any sign of normal trouble that the kod needs to go through to learn.

We are short circuiting the natural developmental process to try to protect our kods from a scary world, and while i get it, its doing these kids a huge disservice in the long run.
My mother just did not prepare me.

Financially: Fucked
Emotionally: Fucked
Religiously: Fucked

I came out of high school with no job ever, the option of college, job core(didn't even know), military, sex worker. College was a lie I told my family, military was a possible truth, and sex worker had unsanitary conditions. I was immature and the epitome of an 18 year old. No one told me getting good credit was hard or how to do it, that getting a house would cramp my bank account and hand signing 50 million forms, or that car buying is the enemy of the average American. I'm still not financially straight but I grew up in the other areas. Looking back I was a baby troll in the making with such infantile thoughts and actions and having never been given real independence but rather freedom in the form of a credit card for gas I was thrust into the world.

I was talking too some women and I was like

Gonna potty train future kid before they turn 1.5-2, have them off the pacifiers by six months, and no bottles past 1.5. You would have thought I was offering a manifest for the next world genocide. I wants a kid that I can send to college that understand that sex is special, weed is amazing in moderation, fruits of hard work are more rewarding than free stuff, and can ultimately prioritize.

UnspokenSoliloquy

Established
As for "off the rails" Im not sure about that. I guess I just hung out with nerds, but no one was really into drinking and sex when I was in college.

My mother didn't prepare me for college because she didn't have the experience to prepare me.
I knew how to cook and clean and do wifely duties, but those were chores in my house.
I graduated high school at 17 back in 2008 and still felt lost at university. I didn't have a problem living on my own, because I did the same things I would do at home. But I lacked financial stability, which was a big part of the struggle.

As for campus life, condoms were every where, but the people that I was around for the most part were more conservative with their bodies. Either they were having sex with their boyfriends or not at all. Our drinks were coffee because we thought it was fun to stay up all night and study together girls and guys. --I know, but those were good times none the less. I should also say my university campus at the time was a little known school with no football team so it was still pretty quiet. Now they have a football team, stadium, and the works, so they are more well known in the state.

Based on the emails I received there is definitely more crime and sexual assaults happening now than when I was there.

Yes there were weed smokers, but that didn't get in the way of their studies.

From what I witnessed, especially with the girls I lived with. They weren't taught to clean, which was the biggest surprise. As a teen I had a messy room and my mom would always get mad, then I didn't understand, but living with other women, that NEVER cleaned anything made me realized what my mom was talking about, it looks bad. A semester is roughly 4 months and I ve lived with roommates who didn't clean anything including the bathroom. I would pretty much be the only one cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming and dusting. I would clean my side of the room and they never did theirs. When I lived in the apartments, none of the girls knew how to cook, so I cooked. Ive seen girls not know how to do laundry. Ive cooked for guys before who were just starving because they didn't know how to cook. Because of all this, im a big advocate of teaching children basic life skills, which are what these are, regardless of gender, you should know how to cook, clean, do laundry and care for a home in general. Guys in college depend on girls or girlfriends to take care of them which shouldn't be.

justjess

Superstar
My mother just did not prepare me.

Financially: Fucked
Emotionally: Fucked
Religiously: Fucked

I came out of high school with no job ever, the option of college, job core(didn't even know), military, sex worker. College was a lie I told my family, military was a possible truth, and sex worker had unsanitary conditions. I was immature and the epitome of an 18 year old. No one told me getting good credit was hard or how to do it, that getting a house would cramp my bank account and hand signing 50 million forms, or that car buying is the enemy of the average American. I'm still not financially straight but I grew up in the other areas. Looking back I was a baby troll in the making with such infantile thoughts and actions and having never been given real independence but rather freedom in the form of a credit card for gas I was thrust into the world.

I was talking too some women and I was like

Gonna potty train future kid before they turn 1.5-2, have them off the pacifiers by six months, and no bottles past 1.5. You would have thought I was offering a manifest for the next world genocide. I wants a kid that I can send to college that understand that sex is special, weed is amazing in moderation, fruits of hard work are more rewarding than free stuff, and can ultimately prioritize.
Oh damien lol.. kids dont typically potty train that young, the pacifier preventa sids which is a risk until one year old.. the bottle thing should be fine though

Honestly we dont teach our kids what they need to know to survive in the world, we seem to just expect them to figure it out, couple that with not exposing them to real co sequences for their actions and we get a bunch of college kids making a bunch of spur of the moment decisions they dont even realize can effect the rest of their lives. We are doing it all wrong imO.

Should i have been lol?

So true. Your account reminds me of a story my friend, who teaches public high school, told me years ago. She said there was this teenager who had such a lackadaisical approach to his school work, and was somewhat arrogant about it because he knew his mum would come to his rescue if he was ever told to do otherwise. Even though my friend gave him failing marks for not completing his assignments, his mum would march down to the school in his defense and give all the teachers an earful for not giving him passing grades because she wanted him to go some prestigious university once he was finished high school. While my friend and the other teachers would give him failing marks, the principal got tired of the mother griping about her son’s marks and told the teachers to pass him so they all didn’t have to deal with the mother. Begrudgingly, the teachers gave him passing marks to end the drama with the helicopter mother and her indolent son.

Now here’s the kicker: Once he graduated, the teenager was able to get into the university his mother wanted him to attend. However, due to him not having any self-discipline and prior knowledge in any topics, he didn’t understand or complete the work assigned. Unbeknownst to the mother, the kid pretended to go to school for at least ½ of a semester, and it wasn’t until the university called asking his whereabouts, did the mother find out he wasn’t attending it. Added to the fact, it was too late in the semester for him to officially drop out and get a refund, the mum ended up losing $15K.

The karmic element in this was so potent that my friend and I couldn’t stop laughing. However, it clearly shows how parents today are willing to coddle their children at their own expense. Sadly, this kid never knew what it was like to ask more of himself and be in the frame of mind to challenge himself to learn.

Last edited:

Damien50

Star
Theu dont even hold kids back anymore because they domt want to hurt their self esteem, they allpw them to correct wrong answers on tests.. i just dont get it.
Arrested development. I'm pretty sure it's not a medical term but I think it's the best way to describe it. Our hands are held, responsibility handled by parents, chores by parents, passing grades given and we're further rewarded with video games and all other distractions that detract from our development. I was under the impression it was dome purposely.