Slave Reparations

morita

Veteran
My presence on a forum doesn't mean I have to take sh*t in the name of "having a discussion".
The thing about boundaries is you can enforce them whenever you want and with whomever. Funny how that works lol.

Robin

Veteran
Back on topic: The unwillingness from white people to recognize that the remnants of racial oppression and slavery are still shaping our society to this day IS actually what's creating further racial divide. There needs to be a general acceptance of what built american capitalism and America's history. This knee jerk reaction of "I don't have nothing to do with this" on this thread and accross the board is pure cowardice and just creating more and more dissonance.
Okay, let's say every white person in America acknowledged this systematic racism of yours. What then? How is that going to change anything other than resulting in a greater number of white people feeling guilty for what their forefathers did and manifesting that guilt as condescention? Or on the other hand, reactionary responses that produce even more animosity between whites and non-whites? Wouldn't all this energy be better served to try and find ways of uplifting communities of colour and trying to bridge whatever educational gap may still exist as a result of generational poverty or historic prejudice? You place way too much emphasis on a social narrative. Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away -positive proaction is worth more than guilt tripping.

morita

Veteran
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away
It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.

Robin

Veteran
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.
I'm neither black nor American so I don't know the personal context as people live and experience it. But I do think there are multiple ways of viewing this topic, here's one by Candace Owens. She's an African American woman (who would from your perspective be less privileged on grounds of gender and race) who does not believe in white privilege and she explains why.

What happens after this acknowledgement?

Lisa

Superstar
She was made rich off this stuff and famous....but that’s not good enough.

Aunt Jemima’s Relatives Want Reparations

Kung Fu

Superstar
America pays Jews billions for what happened during WWII than they should also, pay blacks as well for slavery.

Lisa

Superstar
America pays off lots of countries..countries whose rulers then teach their citizens to hate us.

Many blacks don’t want reparation and like the man in the video I posted said..he’s a tax payer..would he be paying reparations for himself? I mean how do you really separate white tax money from black tax money to just have the white man paying in. And paying for what? They aren’t the ones who enslaved anyone. Nor are the recipients going to be past slaves. That should have been done when you knew who the slaves were..but what they got instead was freedom..freedom to do like any other person in the world and live their own life..which is much better than reparations!

The Zone

Star
Asheville is a mega liberal mountain town in N.C. It has a lot of old hippies and a very high numbered gay populous often being considered a great place to live for them. Just sharing that it does not reflect on the whole state of N.C. But the can of worms is off he shelf now...

Kung Fu

Superstar
America pays off lots of countries..countries whose rulers then teach their citizens to hate us.

Many blacks don’t want reparation and like the man in the video I posted said..he’s a tax payer..would he be paying reparations for himself? I mean how do you really separate white tax money from black tax money to just have the white man paying in. And paying for what? They aren’t the ones who enslaved anyone. Nor are the recipients going to be past slaves. That should have been done when you knew who the slaves were..but what they got instead was freedom..freedom to do like any other person in the world and live their own life..which is much better than reparations!
False.

Lisa

Superstar
Economist proposes slavery reparations of up to $12TRILLION - equivalent to $800,000 per black household or more than half of the American GDP

But doesn’t he know that..

Tidal

Star
Thread title- Slave Reparations
-----------------------------------------------

Haha the stats show there are more blacks in jail than whites, so perhaps THEY should pay America reparations for all the years of crime they've been doing.. :p

Daze

Superstar
"This isn't abt the people who have been economically disadvantaged to this day due to slavery and systemic racism in this country, who cares abt that? it's about ME." You do realize that the world does not revolved around you, or is this concept too difficult to grasp ?
It would maybe be a valid argument if each races were given an equal amount of assets as a starting point but it's clearly not the case. Racial inequality and economic inequality is what founded the US, and people like you are playing dumb.

and now, of course trying to #alllivesmatter this topic.

So because other groups are also treated like shit. You think that descendants of slaves shouldn't be given reparations for what their ancestors have went through? wow. just wow. So embarassing.
All lives do matter, to say otherwise is racist. But welcome to an age where everyone is taught to be a victim and one isn't even 100% sure of what gender they are.

elsbet

Superstar
"This isn't abt the people who have been economically disadvantaged to this day due to slavery and systemic racism in this country, who cares abt that? it's about ME."
So what would that look like?

Reservations to resegregate everyone, and never paying taxes? A lump sum of money? I'm curious.

Daze

Superstar
Dave Chapelle used to mock reparations. Before he went to Africa and came back as someone else at least.
While i don't believe in cloning, he's a good case for it. Guys totally different.

Personally i didn't enslave anyone, so how do i owe anyone anything? Its like your grandfather insulted my grandfather and 100 years later i want you to apologize to me, as if either of us had anything to do with it.

This is what reparations amount to. Past debts demanded by people who were never debtors or lenders to begin with. Universal base income is probably around the corner anyway so everyone will eventually get a free check, in exchange for total control.

Oceanic

Veteran
Dave Chapelle used to mock reparations. Before he went to Africa and came back as someone else at least.
While i don't believe in cloning, he's a good case for it. Guys totally different.

Personally i didn't enslave anyone, so how do i owe anyone anything? Its like your grandfather insulted my grandfather and 100 years later i want you to apologize to me, as if either of us had anything to do with it.

This is what reparations amount to. Past debts demanded by people who were never debtors or lenders to begin with. Universal base income is probably around the corner anyway so everyone will eventually get a free check, in exchange for total control.
Personally i didn't enslave anyone, so how do i owe anyone anything?
Because as your ancestors descendant, you still benefit off of what your people did. Even if it's not in wealth, it's still in society structure. That is why you should take part in giving reparations. Everyone always says what you say: "I didn't do anything, so what do I owe?" My thing is, if you're aware of how the system dishonorably treats POC especially black people, you should also have the knowledge that it is the way it is because of your ancestors AND because you and your people in this current time profit off of it. That's the answer.

It was no issue giving reparations to everyone else, but as soon as there's an offer for black people- suddenly it's a problem? This is why I feel like, spirits regenerate within everyone per timeline because, a lot of y'all have the same ugly spirit as your ancestors. This goes for people of all races by the way, but it is extremely heavy within the white community and it's easy to spot when we're having conversations like this.

Daze

Superstar
Because as your ancestors descendant, you still benefit off of what your people did. Even if it's not in wealth, it's still in society structure. That is why you should take part in giving reparations. Everyone always says what you say: "I didn't do anything, so what do I owe?" My thing is, if you're aware of how the system dishonorably treats POC especially black people, you should also have the knowledge that it is the way it is because of your ancestors AND because you and your people in this current time profit off of it. That's the answer.

It was no issue giving reparations to everyone else, but as soon as there's an offer for black people- suddenly it's a problem? This is why I feel like, spirits regenerate within everyone per timeline because, a lot of y'all have the same ugly spirit as your ancestors. This goes for people of all races by the way, but it is extremely heavy within the white community and it's easy to spot when we're having conversations like this.
Why? Because I'm white i automatically benefited off of slave labor? I guess you never heard that alot of people on the underground railroad freeing slaves were white, but I'm sure they are indebted to you too according to your logic. Surely you are aware some slaves were sold off by blacks? But I'm guessing I should pay them off as well because I somehow benefited off of them because they were black. Right?

Aww, the system is so unfair to you. Its just great for Mexicans when it takes their kids away. Awesome for Japanese when it locks them up in internment camps. Perfect for white people when it teaches them they are racist for no other reason then being white. I for one am sick of the victim card and everyone being sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo desperate for it.

Wth you talking about everyone else? I'm 100% against hand outs to any color. Some people choose to EARN a living. It really burns my @ss to see a 1/5 of my check taken out and just absolutely wasted on politics. If i had a choice in paying taxes i would have cut off uncle Sams hand from reaching into my pocket decades ago. Don't tell me reparations are fine for everyone but blacks. Because a free lunch isn't fine for ANYONE.
I work for a living, you sure as hell can too.

Honestly, reparations are ridiculous. Go wake the dead and demand money from them. I owe you absolutely nothing.

Least Dave Chappelle mocked it. Not all blacks are out to have someone else pay their way.

but it is extremely heavy within the white community and it's easy to spot when we're having conversations like this
Honestly, you are racist. Color means absolutely NOTHING. Its pigment of the skin and doesn't bring anything else what so ever along with it. I'm not better then you nor are you better then me. The ONLY thing that separates us of in levels is acts of piety.