Slave Reparations

morita

Established
My presence on a forum doesn't mean I have to take sh*t in the name of "having a discussion".
The thing about boundaries is you can enforce them whenever you want and with whomever. Funny how that works lol.

morita

Established
Back on topic: The unwillingness from white people to recognize that the remnants of racial oppression and slavery are still shaping our society to this day IS actually what's creating further racial divide. There needs to be a general acceptance of what built american capitalism and America's history. This knee jerk reaction of "I don't have nothing to do with this" on this thread and accross the board is pure cowardice and just creating more and more dissonance.

Robin

Established
Back on topic: The unwillingness from white people to recognize that the remnants of racial oppression and slavery are still shaping our society to this day IS actually what's creating further racial divide. There needs to be a general acceptance of what built american capitalism and America's history. This knee jerk reaction of "I don't have nothing to do with this" on this thread and accross the board is pure cowardice and just creating more and more dissonance.
Okay, let's say every white person in America acknowledged this systematic racism of yours. What then? How is that going to change anything other than resulting in a greater number of white people feeling guilty for what their forefathers did and manifesting that guilt as condescention? Or on the other hand, reactionary responses that produce even more animosity between whites and non-whites? Wouldn't all this energy be better served to try and find ways of uplifting communities of colour and trying to bridge whatever educational gap may still exist as a result of generational poverty or historic prejudice? You place way too much emphasis on a social narrative. Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away -positive proaction is worth more than guilt tripping.

morita

Established
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away
It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.

Robin

Established
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.
I'm neither black nor American so I don't know the personal context as people live and experience it. But I do think there are multiple ways of viewing this topic, here's one by Candace Owens. She's an African American woman (who would from your perspective be less privileged on grounds of gender and race) who does not believe in white privilege and she explains why.

What happens after this acknowledgement?

morita

Established
Candace Owens, Morgan Freeman and other celebrities don't represent the average black citizen.

What happens after this acknowledgement?
Working towards a more just, more egalitarian society is a process. First step should be towards a prison reform imo, as it's pretty much modern day slavery.