Slave Reparations

morita

Veteran
My presence on a forum doesn't mean I have to take sh*t in the name of "having a discussion".
The thing about boundaries is you can enforce them whenever you want and with whomever. Funny how that works lol.

Robin

Veteran
Back on topic: The unwillingness from white people to recognize that the remnants of racial oppression and slavery are still shaping our society to this day IS actually what's creating further racial divide. There needs to be a general acceptance of what built american capitalism and America's history. This knee jerk reaction of "I don't have nothing to do with this" on this thread and accross the board is pure cowardice and just creating more and more dissonance.
Okay, let's say every white person in America acknowledged this systematic racism of yours. What then? How is that going to change anything other than resulting in a greater number of white people feeling guilty for what their forefathers did and manifesting that guilt as condescention? Or on the other hand, reactionary responses that produce even more animosity between whites and non-whites? Wouldn't all this energy be better served to try and find ways of uplifting communities of colour and trying to bridge whatever educational gap may still exist as a result of generational poverty or historic prejudice? You place way too much emphasis on a social narrative. Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away -positive proaction is worth more than guilt tripping.

morita

Veteran
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

Acknowledging perceived "privilege" won't make it go away
It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.

Robin

Veteran
In another post I said I didn't believe in "making people feel guilty". But how is the conversation around race supposed to go forward if any attempt at aknowledging racial oppression result in defensive posturing and denial? That's my point exactly.

It's not based on my perception. Look, I have no problem aknowledging I have privilege in certain instances: I'm cis-gendered, and able bodied for exemple. It's not an insult to say someone has privilege and if a trans or disabled person said that to me I wouldnt take it personally. I wouldn't go to them and try to discredit their experiences either.
I'm neither black nor American so I don't know the personal context as people live and experience it. But I do think there are multiple ways of viewing this topic, here's one by Candace Owens. She's an African American woman (who would from your perspective be less privileged on grounds of gender and race) who does not believe in white privilege and she explains why.

What happens after this acknowledgement?

Lurking009

Star
Back on topic: The unwillingness from white people to recognize that the remnants of racial oppression and slavery are still shaping our society to this day IS actually what's creating further racial divide. There needs to be a general acceptance of what built american capitalism and America's history. This knee jerk reaction of "I don't have nothing to do with this" on this thread and accross the board is pure cowardice and just creating more and more dissonance.
'Unwillingness from white people'? That's a racist statement. Any time you accuse a whole group of people of ANY color of wrongdoing like that... it's racist.

rac·ism: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Are you seriously so full of disdain and hatred for white people that you cannot see your own racism?

Lisa

Superstar
She was made rich off this stuff and famous....but that’s not good enough.

Aunt Jemima’s Relatives Want Reparations

Kung Fu

Superstar
America pays Jews billions for what happened during WWII than they should also, pay blacks as well for slavery.

Lisa

Superstar
America pays off lots of countries..countries whose rulers then teach their citizens to hate us.

Many blacks don’t want reparation and like the man in the video I posted said..he’s a tax payer..would he be paying reparations for himself? I mean how do you really separate white tax money from black tax money to just have the white man paying in. And paying for what? They aren’t the ones who enslaved anyone. Nor are the recipients going to be past slaves. That should have been done when you knew who the slaves were..but what they got instead was freedom..freedom to do like any other person in the world and live their own life..which is much better than reparations!

The Zone

Star
Asheville is a mega liberal mountain town in N.C. It has a lot of old hippies and a very high numbered gay populous often being considered a great place to live for them. Just sharing that it does not reflect on the whole state of N.C. But the can of worms is off he shelf now...

Kung Fu

Superstar
America pays off lots of countries..countries whose rulers then teach their citizens to hate us.

Many blacks don’t want reparation and like the man in the video I posted said..he’s a tax payer..would he be paying reparations for himself? I mean how do you really separate white tax money from black tax money to just have the white man paying in. And paying for what? They aren’t the ones who enslaved anyone. Nor are the recipients going to be past slaves. That should have been done when you knew who the slaves were..but what they got instead was freedom..freedom to do like any other person in the world and live their own life..which is much better than reparations!
False.

Lisa

Superstar
Economist proposes slavery reparations of up to $12TRILLION - equivalent to $800,000 per black household or more than half of the American GDP

But doesn’t he know that..

Tidal

Star
Thread title- Slave Reparations
-----------------------------------------------

Haha the stats show there are more blacks in jail than whites, so perhaps THEY should pay America reparations for all the years of crime they've been doing.. :p

Dusktilldown

Rookie

Today, the average white family has roughly 10 times the amount of wealth as the average Black family. White college graduates have over seven times more wealth than Black college graduates. Making the American Dream an equitable reality demands the same U.S. government that denied wealth to Blacks restore that deferred wealth through reparations to their descendants in the form of individual cash payments in the amount that will close the Black-white racial wealth divide. Additionally, reparations should come in the form of wealth-building opportunities that address racial disparities in education, housing, and business ownership.

In 1860, over $3 billion was the value assigned to the physical bodies of enslaved Black Americans to be used as free labor and production. This was more money than was invested in factories and railroads combined. In 1861, the value placed on cotton produced by enslaved Blacks was $250 million. Slavery enriched white slave owners and their descendants, and it fueled the country’s economy while suppressing wealth building for the enslaved. The United States has yet to compensate descendants of enslaved Black Americans for their labor. Nor has the federal government atoned for the lost equity from anti-Black housing, transportation, and business policy. Slavery, Jim Crow segregation, anti-Black practices like redlining, and other discriminatory public policies in criminal justice and education have robbed Black Americans of the opportunities to build wealth (defined as assets minus debt) afforded to their white peers.

Bootstrapping isn’t going to erase racial wealth divides. As economists William “Sandy” Darity and Darrick Hamilton point out in their 2018 report, What We Get Wrong About Closing the Wealth Gap, “Blacks cannot close the racial wealth gap by changing their individual behavior –i.e. by assuming more ‘personal responsibility’ or acquiring the portfolio management insights associated with ‘[financial] literacy.’” In fact, white high school dropouts have more wealth than Black college graduates. Moreover, the racial wealth gap did not result from a lack of labor. Rather, it came from a lack of financial capital.

Not only do racial wealth disparities reveal fallacies in the American Dream, the financial and social consequences are significant and wide-ranging. Wealth is positively correlated with better health, educational, and economic outcomes. Furthermore, assets from homes, stocks, bonds, and retirement savings provide a financial safety net for the inevitable shocks to the economy and personal finances that happen throughout a person’s lifespan.

Dusktilldown

Rookie
Honestly I don’t.. my family wasn’t even in this country when there were slaves and during the time there was segregation my own family faces their own segregation due to Italians being considered black as well. I don’t see why my tax dollars need to pay for something I have nothing to do with.
"This isn't abt the people who have been economically disadvantaged to this day due to slavery and systemic racism in this country, who cares abt that? it's about ME." You do realize that the world does not revolved around you, or is this concept too difficult to grasp ?
It would maybe be a valid argument if each races were given an equal amount of assets as a starting point but it's clearly not the case. Racial inequality and economic inequality is what founded the US, and people like you are playing dumb.
I support economic programs to lift up all who are economically struggling but I don’t support this.
and now, of course trying to #alllivesmatter this topic.
Native Americans? We stole their land, forced them into “reservations” and treated them like shit from day one and every day since.
So because other groups are also treated like shit. You think that descendants of slaves shouldn't be given reparations for what their ancestors have went through? wow. just wow. So embarassing.

Daze

Star
"This isn't abt the people who have been economically disadvantaged to this day due to slavery and systemic racism in this country, who cares abt that? it's about ME." You do realize that the world does not revolved around you, or is this concept too difficult to grasp ?
It would maybe be a valid argument if each races were given an equal amount of assets as a starting point but it's clearly not the case. Racial inequality and economic inequality is what founded the US, and people like you are playing dumb.

and now, of course trying to #alllivesmatter this topic.

So because other groups are also treated like shit. You think that descendants of slaves shouldn't be given reparations for what their ancestors have went through? wow. just wow. So embarassing.
All lives do matter, to say otherwise is racist. But welcome to an age where everyone is taught to be a victim and one isn't even 100% sure of what gender they are.

elsbet

Superstar
"This isn't abt the people who have been economically disadvantaged to this day due to slavery and systemic racism in this country, who cares abt that? it's about ME."
So what would that look like?

Reservations to resegregate everyone, and never paying taxes? A lump sum of money? I'm curious.