Simple Human

Lil axe

Veteran
i opened up a new tab and this story appeared -

something i've been noticing past couple years, is dumbing down the human, while boosting up the device

i purchased a garbage can for the kitchen, the brand was - simple human, while my wife has a mobile phone that is called a smart phone

human simple, phone smart

guess just noticing it more

Interesting that the Gates funded John Hopkins University will have an extended version of this in ‘22. As well, these two threads sort of touch on this article here:

That said, the article does seem to discuss the issue of the chronic pain and eye strain one would develop sitting in front of computer. It also delves into job satisfaction while working, which I think is telling considering many are working remotely. I would even argue that this would be a good advertisement for the trades industry, as there are many things the computer has done to our lives to make them what they are today, which can lead many feeling dissatisfied.

Marshall McLuhan’s “the medium is the message” comes to mind. While studying his theories in university, he would bore me to tears, however, now that I'm older, I now have the patience and respect what he has to say. Here’s a good video segment of Marshall discussing what his definition means. However, I know Lindsay Wagner would not be impressed with what he’s said about the Bionic Woman because she’s said in interviews, she finally accepted the role because her friend convinced her it would be an opportunity for her to be role model for children using television. Lindsay initially turned down the role because she didn't like violence:

Marshall Mcluhan Full lecture: The medium is the message - 1977 part 1 v 3

If interested, here's Part 2 and Part 3

I think essentially, we need to be self aware, or develop meta-cognition when using all forms of media, and naturally, I think this includes computers. While the content/medium may change according to McLuhan, if we understand that it is a form of communication… a means to an end, we can put computers/cellphones and all forms of media into context when if comes to our daily lives (in Part 2, according to McLuhan, Jane Austen makes an intriguing observation). If we don’t, I think we run the risk of not extrapolating our lives from technology. Those who are unable to do so might actually become their own ghost in the machine.

Last edited:

Maldarker

Star
A senior IBM inventor has predicted that within 20 years humans will be injected with nanomachines that will be able to repair and enhance our bodies and augment our thoughts.

“We may see AI nanomachines being injected into our bodies. These will provide huge medical benefits, such as being able to repair damage to cells, muscles and bones perhaps even augment them," McNamara said to the committee, which is weighing up the economic, ethical and social implications of artificial intelligence.
The expert predicted within two decades humans and machines will effectively be “melded” together, paving the way for huge advancements in human consciousness.

"We see the creation of technology that can meld the biological with the technological, and so be able to enhance human cognitive capability directly, potentially offering greatly improved mental (capabilities), as well as being able to utilise vast quantities of computing power to augment our own thought processes.”

"Using this technology embedded in ourselves and in our surroundings, we begin to be able to control our environment with thoughts and gestures alone,”
he added.

The predictive program here is man machine good -simple human dumb can't do without the "melding of the two".

A senior IBM inventor has predicted that within 20 years humans will be injected with nanomachines that will be able to repair and enhance our bodies and augment our thoughts.

“We may see AI nanomachines being injected into our bodies. These will provide huge medical benefits, such as being able to repair damage to cells, muscles and bones perhaps even augment them," McNamara said to the committee, which is weighing up the economic, ethical and social implications of artificial intelligence.
The expert predicted within two decades humans and machines will effectively be “melded” together, paving the way for huge advancements in human consciousness.

"We see the creation of technology that can meld the biological with the technological, and so be able to enhance human cognitive capability directly, potentially offering greatly improved mental (capabilities), as well as being able to utilise vast quantities of computing power to augment our own thought processes.”

"Using this technology embedded in ourselves and in our surroundings, we begin to be able to control our environment with thoughts and gestures alone,”
he added.

The predictive program here is man machine good -simple human dumb can't do without the "melding of the two".
If that's the case, then someone would need to create technology that never needs to be upgraded. Otherwise, I think it would be a fruitless endeavor or maybe that's the point... from a nefarious perspective, that is.

Last edited:

Lil axe

Veteran
Interesting that the Gates funded John Hopkins University will have an extended version of this in ‘22. As well, these two threads sort of touch on this article here:

That said, the article does seem to discuss the issue of the chronic pain and eye strain one would develop sitting in front of computer. It also delves into job satisfaction while working, which I think is telling considering many are working remotely. I would even argue that this would be a good advertisement for the trades industry, as there are many things the computer has done to our lives to make them what they are today, which can lead many feeling dissatisfied.

Marshall McLuhan’s “the medium is the message” comes to mind. While studying his theories in university, he would bore me to tears, however, now that I'm older, I now have the patience and respect what he has to say. Here’s a good video segment of Marshall discussing what his definition means. However, I know Lindsay Wagner would not be impressed with what he’s said about the Bionic Woman because she’s said in interviews, she finally accepted the role because her friend convinced her it would be an opportunity for her to be role model for children using television. Lindsay initially turned down the role because she didn't like violence:

Marshall Mcluhan Full lecture: The medium is the message - 1977 part 1 v 3

If interested, here's Part 2 and Part 3

I think essentially, we need to be self aware, or develop meta-cognition when using all forms of media, and naturally, I think this includes computers. While the content/medium may change according to McLuhan, if we understand that it is a form of communication… a means to an end, we can put computers/cellphones and all forms of media into context when if comes to our daily lives (in Part 2, according to McLuhan, Jane Austen makes an intriguing observation). If we don’t, I think we run the risk of not extrapolating our lives from technology. Those who are unable to do so might actually become their own ghost in the machine.
thank you
i will finish watching them tonight

Lil axe

Veteran
people are depending on technology instead of thinking, a few people i know use their gps even in familiar areas, where they've already been, alot of stories of ones following the gps blindly and ending off road, always depending on technologies and not thinking is really weakening the brain. i brought our work truck into the dealer, the four wheel drive wasn't working, the tech (not a mechanic, but a tech) uses the diagnostic tool, reads the code, then calls me and says the oxygen sensor is gone in bank 2, i said i know, was diagnosed before , and the bank was faulty, i brought the truck in for the four wheel drive, and that oxygen does not control or engage the 4 wheel drive, he disagreed because the code said that it was an oxygen sensor, and that was the problem, he wouldn't listen to me, and went ahead and ordered the sensor, phones me after and says the 4 wheel drive still doesn't work, and it was the actuator, that engages the 4 wheel drive, an example of one thinking the machine was superior to the mind

Maldarker

Star
If that's the case, then someone would need to create technology that never needs to be upgraded. Otherwise, I think it would be a fruitless endeavor or maybe that's the point... from a nefarious perspective, that is.
Y - watch iron man that movie is there goal like he was in endgame with the nano tech aka grey goo all you have to do at that point then is firmware upgrades is all & 5g will work great for that.

Y - watch iron man that movie is there goal like he was in endgame with the nano tech aka grey goo all you have to do at that point then is firmware upgrades is all & 5g will work great for that.
Meh, sucks to be a sucker to have fallen for something that's artificial and have it embedded in them or with them at all times. I suppose ultimately people need to distinguish between having a life worth living and an artificial one.

I work with some people who are excited to get their iPhones delivered to them so...

Maldarker

Star
Meh, sucks to be a sucker to have fallen for something that's artificial and have it embedded in them or with them at all times. I suppose ultimately people need to distinguish between having a life worth living and an artificial one.

I work with some people who are excited to get their iPhones delivered to them so...
Same. My field is electronics & computer science so i see it all the time.

A good series from Academy of Ideas. Apparently, there's one more video in the segment but they haven't uploaded to date:

Social Media - Why it Sickens the Self and Divides Society

I thought this was a poignant comment in the video below:

"Isaac
1 week ago (edited)

I honestly miss the days of "let's meet here at 6pm". Feel very greatful to be the last generation of kids who made plans in person and played down the woods, built go karts, painted tennis courts on the street and didn't have their first Nokia until their late teens."

Smartphones and Social Media - A Mass Surveillance Dystopia

Kids will do as they please and adults will continue to pretend they know everything. Those right answers kind of sound like Greta Thunberg giving another lecture. Maybe she should go back to being a kid?

Last edited:
Somewhat obvious, but dealing with the youth today when this is all they know is exhausting. Well, at least some do have some self-awareness to know it's not healthy:

Young people engaging in anti-social behavior online seek social approval, study finds
MAY 24, 2023

Informative article I thought was worth sharing:

"How to Quit Social Media (And Why You Should Consider It)
By Anna-Kaisa Walker, Reader's Digest Canada By Anna-Kaisa Walker, Reader's Digest Canada

Concerned you might be addicted to social media? Here's expert advice on how to unplug.
1 / 13

PHOTO: TROYAN / SHUTTERSTOCK.COM

How to quit social media
Is it time for a digital detox? Feeling irritable without your smartphone, losing sleep due to your tech usage and noticing an inability to sustain a real-life conversation without checking social media are signs you need a break. “If you’re stopping everything for a notification, ask yourself if you really have control over your life,” says author and Kingston, Ontario-based productivity consultant Chris Bailey.
Here’s expert advice on how to quit social media and regain that sense of control—and the peace of mind that comes with being “unplugged.”
2 / 13

PHOTO: SHUTTERSTOCK

Lower risks of depression
One 2017 University of Pittsburgh study found that heavy social media use can lead to a nine per cent increase in the risk of depression. This may be due to a psychological phenomenon called “social comparison.” When everyone else’s (heavily edited) lives seem happier than one’s own, self-esteem can nosedive.
Learn to spot the signs of high-functioning depression.

3 / 13

Do you really need it?
Delete all but your most essential apps (bye-bye, Clash of Clans). “Which ones are you using to pacify your attention, rather than to connect with others?” Bailey asks.
4 / 13

Better communication
Your phone ruins your conversations—even when you’re not looking at it. A 2014 American study found that the mere presence of a phone was enough to divide participants’ attention and cause them to miss subtle cues from conversation partners, such as facial expressions.
Here are more rude conversation habits we all need to work on.

5 / 13

PHOTO: DEAN DROBOT / SHUTTERSTOCK.COM
Focus more deeply
A 2016 University of California study found that subjects could only focus on a single screen-based task for 40 seconds before switching to another activity. “Flipping between apps delivers a dopamine hit to your brain because you’re wired to seek out novel information,” Bailey says. “When you detox, you notice patterns that are keeping you from focusing deeply.”
A further study from the University of Texas at Austin found that simply having a smartphone in sight measurably reduced participants’ ability to focus.
Find out 10 more strategies to improve your concentration.

6 / 13

Know your limits
Set solid parameters. Will you go offline for the same 24-hour period every week or try for a longer, one-off stretch? “Think back to when you felt the most rested and refreshed—say, a week-long vacation without your laptop,” Bailey says, and aim for the same time frame.
Find out about the dangers of what experts are calling “secondhand screen time.”
7 / 13

Everything in moderation
Unplugging doesn’t have to be all or nothing—start incrementally, with tech-free dinners or a no-phone portion of the day, then work up to an attainable goal.
8 / 13

Out of sight, out of mind
If you can see your phone, you’ll reach for it. To stick to your objective, turn on the do-not-disturb function, then stash it out of sight.
Find out what happened when one Toronto woman quit her smartphone altogether.
9 / 13

Give a heads-up
Should you abstain completely for more than a day, let family, friends and colleagues know that you won’t be responding to messages. This accomplishes two things: first, they won’t think you’re being rude. Second, announcing your detox helps you stick to it.
10 / 13

What do you do for fun?
Once you’re tech-free, plan activities to fill the time you’d otherwise spend hunched over your device—like knitting, playing board games or visiting a bookstore.
Here are the best two-player board games on the market.
11 / 13

The buddy system
Bailey recommends enlisting the help of an accountability partner—perhaps by asking them permission to go online. “It’s embarrassing to have to ask if you can check Instagram,” Bailey says. “You’ll be more likely to stick to your plan.”
Here’s more advice on the best ways to quit bad habits.
12 / 13

Dear diary…
Rather than pacifying your boredom—or other negative emotions—by checking social media, keep a digital-detox journal. Instead of tapping and scrolling, write your feelings down using good old pen and paper. “Journalling is a great way to notice patterns,” Bailey says. “Keep your focus on something meaningful and your boredom will evaporate.”
13 / 13

Don’t beat yourself up
If you find yourself on your phone before your detox is scheduled to end, simply put it away and try again. Or give yourself a short daily allowance, say 10 minutes, to keep up with essential online tasks.
Next, check out 10 expert tips to kick social media addiction."

(source)