What do yall think?

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Lol ain't nothing free in this world. Not even listening

free2018

Star

What do yall think?
'' 'Emotional labor' applies when, say, a restaurant server is told by their manager to 'put on a smile' to serve a rude customer—not when a friend feels overloaded by another friend's emotional needs. In a more extreme example, "emotional labor" might be the work an employee is forced to do to swallow their feelings about a racist or sexist comment in the workplace, to avoid alienating coworkers, superiors, or customers"(VOGUE).

It is monetized in some ways. In the service industry, I would say it is.

morita

Veteran
Emotional labor is undervalued because it's considered the realm of the "feminine", something women are just better at, like housework (but even housework can be monetized).
I think of hetero relationships where women have to fill every personnal/social roles in a man's life because their man is emotionally inept and have no friends. To the point where the women feel completely consumed by their men's needs.
These women deserve monetary compensation as it's a full-time job.

Maes17

Superstar
Sounds like another sexism thread. Great.

It’s ok, I’ve had unfullfilled aspirations too. Life is what you guys make it.

In other words, have some confidence and stop trying to live up to social standards.

Maes17

Superstar
I think they should express that the emotional toll by being all those things to a man is draining and that said man needs to examine himself and not be such a drain and find fulfillment in ways that don’t depend solely on his partner.

I don’t like monetizing even more things. It reminds me of all the grrl boss articles you get amount women CEOs or government officials like Gina Haspel running the CIA isn’t anything great for women or anybody
The thing is this not a man’s fault nor a woman’s fault.

This is just
A: trolling to create division amongst man/woman

Or
B: a plead for help. Most people have self confidence issues and try to measure up to expectations.

My advice.
Set expectations for yourself which is a timely process. Enjoy the journey. The downs and highs.
That’s what builds you up if you know how to conquer that journey.

People would be a lot happier if so.
Instead they want instant gratification and try to bring those in successful situations down to try to get a level playing field.

Men nor woman is draining anything.
It’s toxic people that are draining.

morita

Veteran
The thing is this not a man’s fault nor a woman’s fault.

This is just
A: trolling to create division amongst man/woman

Or
B: a plead for help. Most people have self confidence issues and try to measure up to expectations.

My advice.
Set expectations for yourself which is a timely process. Enjoy the journey. The downs and highs.
That’s what builds you up if you know how to conquer that journey.

People would be a lot happier if so.
Instead they want instant gratification and try to bring those in successful situations down to try to get a level playing field.

Men nor woman is draining anything.
It’s toxic people that are draining.
It reminds of when white people say "it's not about race" or "I don't see color" when poc talk about racism.

Aero

Superstar
These articles were referring to the workplace, not the private sphere.
Ya, I got that. I just immediately equated emotional labor with the idea of listening.

I think that's worth expanding on. Maybe it's better to say that accepting other ideas in the workplace can be like emotional labor.

morita

Veteran
Ya, I got that. I just immediately equated emotional labor with the idea of listening.

I think that's worth expanding on. Maybe it's better to say that accepting other ideas in the workplace can be like emotional labor.
The second article from the guardian gave some examples that were spot on imo. They referred to it as managing one's emotions to accomodate a client or a colleague.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I think of hetero relationships where women have to fill every personnal/social roles in a man's life because their man is emotionally inept and have no friends. To the point where the women feel completely consumed by their men's needs.
These women deserve monetary compensation as it's a full-time job.

No worries. The sexbots are coming.

And like Jess said, if it can be monetized it can be outsourced. From what i've seen, that "monetary compensation" is what men cite, as one of the reasons for having sexbot companions.

Iknow

Rookie
To be honest, this is dangerous territory for some people. Specially the ones who are in relationships and marriages. The article you have posted is very compelling and people can get influenced by it and making them feel like a victim.

Monetizing anything that has to do with emotions and basic human rights and needs, is just a red flag. Doesn't matter if they pretend to be on your side and empathize with you. The problem is money, and now we want to monetize something like this? This doesn't sound right.

This looks to me part of the breaking-down-families agenda.

Aero

Superstar
The second article from the guardian gave some examples that were spot on imo. They referred to it as managing one's emotions to accomodate a client or a colleague.
I've only had time to give it a quick glance.

Idk that someone should be paid for something as trivial as remembering a co-worker's birthday. I like that it incentivizes going the extra mile, but I don't see things like birthdays and drawing smiley faces on coffee cups as an extra mile.

It seems like it might be better to just remove a lot of the glad-handing menial tasks women are expected to do. Like I would consider that sort of stuff degrading whether I was paid or not.

justjess

Superstar
yeah no...that's not what the article says.
If you monetize personality traits or actions that women are viewed as having Or doing you place a value on them that is quantifiable. If something has a quantifiable value then it can be 1) outsourced for cheaper and 2) people can be judged by how much they have or have not in effect pathologizing women who do not have “enough” or have “too much”

I just don’t think the end result of that situation will be any better then what we have now, it will be worse. You already see it in the shift in responsibility for caring for children and elderly relatives. You already see it in the bullshit pathologizing of “enabling/codependency” etc.

Aero

Superstar
yeah no...that's not what the article says.
From the article you cited...

"women may be expected, on top of this, to contribute to office harmony by remembering colleagues’ birthdays"

Looks like the article did say, what I said it said. Either way, you dodged my point pretty deftly.