Sex work should be decriminalized

justjess

Superstar
I wonder.. since you seem to know about it.. why you wouldn’t mention it as a reason?
It was not what I was talking about. Re read my original post and figure it out for yourself Lisa.

And what do you mean... since you seem to know about it? What kind of underhanded subliminal shit is that?

See: Maya Angelou

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
It was not what I was talking about. Re read my original post and figure it out for yourself Lisa.

And what do you mean... since you seem to know about it? What kind of underhanded subliminal shit is that?

See: Maya Angelou
You purposely miss the biggest reason for prostitution and act like that isn’t a factor. I wonder why?

You’ve been a social worker so you know everything and don’t question you. You even know why smart women would be prostitutes though you don’t mention the biggest reason...addiction.

See Maya Angelou for what?

justjess

Superstar
You purposely miss the biggest reason for prostitution and act like that isn’t a factor. I wonder why?

You’ve been a social worker so you know everything and don’t question you. You even know why smart women would be prostitutes though you don’t mention the biggest reason...addiction.

See Maya Angelou for what?
I was giving reasons a person would not be able to capitalize on their intellect to make a living Lisa. In an attempt to show their are many reasons other than lack of a moral fiber that can contribute to this. When drug addiction and prosititution are lumped in - by people like YOU - to the same morally compromised category there is really no reason to mention it, is there? Yeah some people become prostitutes because they are funding an addiction. Some others become prositutes because they have kids to care for and are limited by childcare. Some become prostitutes because they like sex and like money and it’s as simple as that. Some people become prostitutes because their iq is like 90 and they don’t have the mental capacity for any type of job that would pay enough to cover the bills and their options are McDonald’s or prostitution or stripping and atleast prostitution will keep a roof over their head. (I didn’t mention that earlier either)

You guys pretty much covered all the negative reasons before I got here. No need for me to rehash. Especially when as far as I’m concerned there reason is irrelevant as long as it’s 100% there own reason and not coerced.

I never claimed to know everything Lisa. Please just stop.

Maya Angelou was a prostitute.

Edit: not for nothing being away from this place for a while only makes your overwhelming negativity that much more palpable upon return. Cheer up Lisa, lighten up. Life is beautiful, even those dastardly addicts and prostitutes are beautiful - you just have to look for it a little harder

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
My religious views are different from my political views on the matter. Personally I believe politically that sex work (as in that which does not contradict human rights standards) is no more moral or amoral than regular work, it's just a specified field of labor.

I fail to see any difference between paying a person $20 an hour for working groceries or building houses, or working at a hospital or being a politician, than a person lawfully and consentually seeking out clients for specified personal labor (being sexual acts).
Both are ultimately prostitution because they are a person doing some form of work for money, there is no difference. It's all trade and selling of products of some form.
Both have different boundaries, one is intimate and the other restricts intimacy as being allowed on work property. Both however are required by law to be discreet and personal details of both types of jobs are only lawfully allowed to be shared between the worker and the head-boss.

I think as human beings we ARE objectified by the capitalist system and our lives are valued far less than those of sex workers (who are rather glamorized, both by themselves and their clients).
The difference here is that sex workers choose their industry of work, whereas we have to work regular jobs whether we choose to or not (with exception of those who have disabilities who are usually financially aided by a countries' welfare system).

This is one of those topics where your religious views (obviously as a Muslim it would be very obvious that my views on modesty and adultery inform my religious views on it, in which I do not support it religiously) do not really matter. Moralistic reasons for opposing it ARE as irrelevant as moralistic reasons for opposing being a dentist, surgeon or a dairy cashier.
Is it moral for us to be required to even work to be able to afford the most basic things like water, food, electricity and a house to live under? I think that's more immoral than a woman or man choosing to go out and make money of their body.

We are already more objectified than the sex workers are, I can't see why someone would turn a blind-eye to that and play stupid.
Even if housing, food and other basic necessities were free, someone would necessarily have to perform the labor to physically provide them... it would absolutely be required if you didn't intend to live in squalor, riddled with parasites.

Quite the utopian dilemma.

Lurker

Star
Even if housing, food and other basic necessities were free, someone would necessarily have to perform the labor to physically provide them... it would absolutely be required if you didn't intend to live in squalor, riddled with parasites.

Quite the utopian dilemma.
To each according to their need; from each according to their ability. Or something along those lines.

elsbet

Superstar
To each according to their need; from each according to their ability. Or something along those lines.
Right, right... but who determines what I want v. what I need? I would like to be the one who determines that. What a drag to be limited... besides-- it really isn't anyone else's beeswax. :p

Appreciate the reply, of course. :)

Lurker

Star
Right, right... but who determines what I want v. what I need? I would like to be the one who determines that. What a drag to be limited... besides-- it really isn't anyone else's beeswax. :p

Appreciate the reply, of course. :)
The state will decide what you give/receive, of course.

justjess

Superstar
I'm hoping that she meant you knew about it though social work.
I would hope so but you just never really know with her..

When I resigned from CPS because I just couldn’t handle it anymore with the MS constantly flaring up naively not considering it was the middle of a recession and was subesequently unable to find ANY other job for over a year I was offered a job as a stripper through a friend of a friend. I seriously considered it. Had I not had wealthy parents that were willing to support me and my son until I got back on my feet and had room for me to move back into their home I would have took the job. I wouldn’t have had a choice. Stripping isn’t prostitution but I can understand how someone can get there pretty easily.

Lisa

Superstar
I was giving reasons a person would not be able to capitalize on their intellect to make a living Lisa. In an attempt to show their are many reasons other than lack of a moral fiber that can contribute to this. When drug addiction and prosititution are lumped in - by people like YOU - to the same morally compromised category there is really no reason to mention it, is there? Yeah some people become prostitutes because they are funding an addiction. Some others become prositutes because they have kids to care for and are limited by childcare. Some become prostitutes because they like sex and like money and it’s as simple as that. Some people become prostitutes because their iq is like 90 and they don’t have the mental capacity for any type of job that would pay enough to cover the bills and their options are McDonald’s or prostitution or stripping and atleast prostitution will keep a roof over their head. (I didn’t mention that earlier either)

You guys pretty much covered all the negative reasons before I got here. No need for me to rehash. Especially when as far as I’m concerned there reason is irrelevant as long as it’s 100% there own reason and not coerced.

I never claimed to know everything Lisa. Please just stop.

Maya Angelou was a prostitute.

Edit: not for nothing being away from this place for a while only makes your overwhelming negativity that much more palpable upon return. Cheer up Lisa, lighten up. Life is beautiful, even those dastardly addicts and prostitutes are beautiful - you just have to look for it a little harder
I would have thought you would have focused on the number one reason..addiction or at least give it a mention rather than ignoring it completely.

Sometimes you act as if you do and you can’t be questioned like now.

I don’t follow her so I didn’t know.

How are addicts and prostitutes beautiful? It’s not like they are so beautiful that you’d want your daughters to grow up and be one would you?

Lisa

Superstar
@Lisa You have zero compassion and zero tolerance.

You are quite obviously trying to portray all Christian's as discompassionate brainwashed fools.

You ain't fooling anybody.
Really? Are prostitutes and strippers beautiful enough to want your own daughter to be one?

elsbet

Superstar
@Lisa You have zero compassion and zero tolerance.

You are quite obviously trying to portray all Christian's as discompassionate brainwashed fools.

You ain't fooling anybody.
Compassion would be decriminalization with the intent to provide, or at least offer, a viable means for a way out (free methadone, basic social, medical and financial rehabilitation services-- govt funded, non-profit outreach, etc.)-- that would be a hell of a lot more ethical than permitting these people to continue, unchecked. With little exception, prostitution is evidence of a person hitting rock bottom-- they need help--> emergency status.

justjess

Superstar
I would have thought you would have focused on the number one reason..addiction or at least give it a mention rather than ignoring it completely.

Sometimes you act as if you do and you can’t be questioned like now.

I don’t follow her so I didn’t know.

How are addicts and prostitutes beautiful? It’s not like they are so beautiful that you’d want your daughters to grow up and be one would you?
You don’t follow MaYa angelou? Really? First off she’s dead. Second off she was like 90 when she died.. she’s a world renowned poet/author. “I know why the caged bird sings” - “still I rise” ... most people are assigned to read atleast one in school at some point.

Everyone is beautiful Lisa. I’ve met drug addicts and strippers with bigger hearts than you. Just because a person doesn’t do everything the way you think they should, or has blatant flaws or problems does not mean they aren’t beautiful.

As for my daughter I hope to create a world/ life for her where that’s never something she has to consider but if she did I wouldn’t love her any less. I never said prostitution was great everyone should go do it, I said it should be decriminalized and specifically stated that it goes against my own sexual morals but it should be decriminalized anyway.

Reactions: 000