Sex work should be decriminalized

morita

Veteran
Why don't you address direct questions and arguments for a change?
I didn't address your post about that Despentes quote because it was complete strawman and just long-winded for no reason.

Where do you get your stats from? Is it about married couples or just people in relationships? Are the aggressors men? Tempest asked a legitimate question. And Lisa is right too, men are the protectors that shield women from harm of other men.
Yes, the agressors are men, it doesn't matter whether they're married or not. The thing is married men routinely murder and r*pe their own wives. There is a femicide happening.
Prostitutes need to be protected and that's why I'm in favor of decriminalization but the issue of male violence remains. And that's something that women have to be afraid of in every spaces not just sex work.

Regardless, women are as likely if not more likely to initiate domestic violence than men. The highest rates of domestic violence is among lesbians, the lowest among gays.
Where do you get those statistics? Sounds totally made up.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I didn't address your post about that Despentes quote because it was complete strawman and just long-winded for no reason.

Yes, the agressors are men, it doesn't matter whether they're married or not. The thing is married men routinely murder and r*pe their own wives. There is a femicide happening.
Prostitutes need to be protected and that's why I'm in favor of decriminalization but the issue of male violence remains. And that's something that women have to be afraid of in every spaces not just sex work.

Can honestly say that I have heard from lesbians themselves, lesbians whom live in different states and have never met each other, that domestic violence in the lgbt communities is at epidemic rates and that lesbian relationships are a main potion of that. I agree with some really strong points you are making, and I will also admit that our society plays its part in driving those rates higher with a variety of factors..... but that still does not change the fact that lesbians have outrageously high DV rates because they choose to hurt each other, not because someone forced them to do so.

You asked for counter-arguments so I gave them. And it wasn't a straw man.

Of course marriage matters. A husband is different than a romantic lover, sexual partner, ex, etc.

I'll take it back. There are dozens of different studies with different conclusions now. But here's the most commonly cited one: CDC.

Maes17

Superstar
I mean when it comes to sex. The word is consensual.
If consent is given, legal age etc. then those adults are free to do what they please behind closed doors.

My complaint, is I think it’s a last resort means of income. People are capable of so much more, rather than relying on prostitution which eventually leads into a transient lifestyle.

I’m not for it, nor against it.

Reactions: 000

morita

Veteran
What a genius bit of logic there.

If one can't understand the difference between doing something for money and doing something for love, then that one is truly a hopeless case.
You're arguing from an idealistic pov. But from a realistic point of view, it's more common nowadays for people to have sex with random ppl than in commited relationships. Look down on prostitutes and sugar babies all you want they be getting paid.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
I’m torn on this one.. I hate to see people decide their only or greatest value is what’s in between their legs and I myself am extremely conservative sexually in my own life.

With that said.. “prostitution is the oldest profession” - and there’s a reason for that. Men have throughoit history capitalized on their own innate commodities through selling their physical strength for labor and/or as soldiers.

Women’s most valuable innate commodity, their most marketable asset - for many women is there sexuality. And on that level I see absolutely no difference.

Yes, it was taboo. But it was taboo because sex was taboo, and sex was taboo because casual sex made it impossible to assign paternity in a paternalistic society. That isn’t the case anymore. Hasn’t been for a long time. And in materialistic cultures sex wasnt so taboo to begin with for these reasons.

While I wish everyone had a brain they could capitalize on that just isn’t the reality and I’m not going to begrudge someone the opportunity to put food on there table through whatever means they choose if it isn’t harming anyone else. My own personal sexual opinions are relevant to no one but myself, and should remain that way.

It also does make it safer for the women, eliminates the pimps and the danger, cuts down on the transmission of disease etc. All good things.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
You're arguing from an idealistic pov. But from a realistic point of view, it's more common nowadays for people to have sex with random ppl than in commited relationships. Look down on prostitutes and sugar babies all you want they be getting paid.
"Look down on prostitutes and sugar babies all you want they be getting paid."
Putting money before humanity is the issue, and whatever financial gains they stack while dealing with the devil is irrelevant.

morita

Veteran
While I wish everyone had a brain they could capitalize on that just isn’t the reality and I’m not going to begrudge someone the opportunity to put food on there table through whatever means they choose if it isn’t harming anyone else
Some sex workers do have college degrees though. And they still choose sex work over a regular job.

justjess

Superstar
Some sex workers do have college degrees though. And they still choose sex work over a regular job.
I have a college degree. There have been times throughout my life that it would have been way smarter for me financially to be a stripper than a social worker.

There are many reasons why someone wouldn’t be able to capitalize on their brains that don’t include being stupid

justjess

Superstar
What are those reasons?
No jobs. No jobs that pay well. No transportation. No childcare. Having to leave work due to a disability. Having to leave work because you need to care for someone else with a disability. You lack imagination.

Lisa

Superstar
No jobs. No jobs that pay well. No transportation. No childcare. Having to leave work due to a disability. Having to leave work because you need to care for someone else with a disability. You lack imagination.
I possibly do...I was wondering what you meant by that though. So those are the reasons someone would choose to go into sex work? Really?

justjess

Superstar
I possibly do...I was wondering what you meant by that though. So those are the reasons someone would choose to go into sex work? Really?
I have no idea what anyone’s reasons for going into sex work is, just that they have them and it isn’t my business or my place to judge as if I live their life when I don’t. But thank you for attempting to oversimplify my in depth response to the topic, as always.

Lisa

Superstar
I have no idea what anyone’s reasons for going into sex work is, just that they have them and it isn’t my business or my place to judge as if I live their life when I don’t. But thank you for attempting to oversimplify my in depth response to the topic, as always.
So you don’t actually know if the reasons you posted are in fact true?

justjess

Superstar
So you don’t actually know if the reasons you posted are in fact true?
I know the factors that have been found true for numerous people and there economic hardships over the course of decades thanks to sociological and social work and economic research. Why any one particular person becomes a prostitute idk. I’ve talked to some strippers and those were reasons that contributed in some cases. But again, keep going with your deflections..

Enjoy the holidays Lisa. I’m done with you now.

Lisa

Superstar
I know the factors that have been found true for numerous people and there economic hardships over the course of decades thanks to sociological and social work and economic research. Why any one particular person becomes a prostitute idk. I’ve talked to some strippers and those were reasons that contributed in some cases. But again, keep going with your deflections..

Enjoy the holidays Lisa. I’m done with you now.
You forgot to mention that addiction has a correlation in prostitution.

TC1968

Established
I agree totally with decriminalizing sex work
I disagree that decriminalizing it would end trafficking or rid the world psychopathic pimps.