Sermon series on the (Christian) Holy Spirit

JoChris

Superstar
I always found John McArthur's sermons very in depth. 1st of 4 so far. Following sermons also available.

The sermon series refers to the Holy Spirit, Third person in the Trinity and the changes that occur in a Christian as a result of faith in JESUS Christ (no other religion) as described in https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5:22-23&version=KJV, in total contrast to the unconverted person's character as described in https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5:19-21&version=KJV.

Of course no Christian is going to become perfect (full sanctified) in this life time but over time we should demonstrate more and more of the fruit of the Spirit. Holiness comes from God's work in our hearts, not obedience to laws alone. I believe all Christians no matter which denomination we are part of will find it instructive.

JoChris

Superstar
I like John MacArthur - definitely one of the good guys!
He started teaching more specifically about love and joy in 2nd half of sermon.

Now for me I have always struggled with the joy side of the Christian spiritual experience. My flesh tends towards discouragement and depression very easily.

How have other Christians learned how to rejoice in the Lord - always?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The Flesh and the Spirit is a constant war for all Christians - when I fall off the wagon it brings me to a place of shame and repentance (after the self-justification eventually wears off!!)

I picture it like this -

I imagine two people in the front a car - once the Flesh was in the driving seat and sometimes I tried to fight for the wheel, while other times I liked the places I was taken.

After I believed, the Flesh was in the passenger seat trying to persuadee to head back to his favourite part of town or and sometimes trying to fight me for the wheel, as I try to head for a different destination.

To cope with the journey well, I need to keep an eye out for sudden snatches at the wheel and turn the radio up so I can listen to something better than what he has to say.

One day, the Lord will open the passenger door and throw the flesh out onto the road, then get in next to me for the ultimate road trip!