Selah

Thunderian

Superstar
The word Selah was mentioned in another thread, and I didn't want to interrupt the flow of that one, since the tone and fellowship seems especially sweet, but I do feel like it is a term that it might be profitable to explore further, so here we go.

Selah is found 75 times in the King James version of the Old Testament. The first time it's found, we learn that Selah is a place.

2 Kings 14:7 - He slew of Edom in the valley of salt ten thousand, and took Selah by war, and called the name of it Joktheel unto this day.

Today the place named Joktheel is called Wadi Musa, the valley of Moses, said to be where Moses struck the rock and a spring appeared. Wadi Musa is the closest populated area to the rock city of Petra, and historians and archaeologists say that water from the spring at Wadi Musa flowed through a narrow passageway called the Siq into Petra. The Siq was formed by an earthquake, but then smoothed and widened by flowing water.

The name Petra itself means "rock", and on some maps, the area of Petra was referred to as Selah-Petra. Selah is also translated as rock, as in the name Selahammahlekoth.

1 Samuel 23:28 - Wherefore Saul returned from pursuing after David, and went against the Philistines: therefore they called that place Selahammahlekoth.

Selahammahlekoth can be translated as the rock of division, or the rock of escape. It refers to a rocky area or cliff that was between David and Saul, that allowed David to avoid capture when Saul was hunting him, and it is significant for reasons I dearly hope will become clear.

An interesting feature of the term Selah is that it always appears in a verse or a passage that has to do with the second coming of Jesus Christ. This is meaningful, because the area of Petra is where scholars believe the remnant of the Jews will flee during the Tribulation, and where they will be preserved by the Lord in the wilderness until he comes to redeem them.

Selah-Petra becomes, in effect, a rock of division and escape between Israel and her enemies, just as Selahammahlekoth was between David and Saul, and will remain their refuge until the Lord returns. When they call his name, he will come in glory and utterly obliterate their enemies, the nations of the earth that seek their destruction.

Now, when we read verses containing Selah in that light, we start to see the themes of protection and deliverance in the wilderness.

Psalms 9:20 - Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah.

Psalms 32:7 - Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

Psalms 46:3 - Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Psalms 46:7 - The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Psalms 57:3 - He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

Psalms 57:6 - They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.

Psalms 59:5 - Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah.

Psalms 59:13 - Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah.

Psalms 62:8 - Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Although almost every reference to Selah is in Psalms, we also find it in Habbakuk 3, a chapter that is entirely to do with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Habakkuk 3:3 - God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.

Teman is in the area of Petra, as is Mount Paran. They are all in the land of Edom, which is also referred to with the names Idumea and Bozrah, it's capital city. When Jesus shows up at Armageddon, the Bible says he is coming from Edom, so we can read this as a reference to his glorious appearance on earth when he destroys the nations that are gathered to make war against God.

Habakkuk 3:9 - Thy bow was made quite naked, according to the oaths of the tribes, even thy word. Selah. Thou didst cleave the earth with rivers.

I can't pretend to know what those references mean, but the part about cleaving the earth with rivers may be a reference to the Siq, which was formed by an earthquake and then widened by flowing water.

Habakkuk 3:13 - Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

There is no doubt that when the Lord destroys someone, he doesn't mess around. Discovering the foundation unto the neck is another way of saying he will take their heads clean off.

Another reference to Selah is found in Isaiah.

Isaiah 16:1 - Send ye the lamb to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion.

In the context of what we have already learned about Selah-Petra, that verse can surely be looked at as yet another reference to the deliverance by Jesus Christ of his people Israel, from their refuge in the rocks in the wilderness of Edom.

As I have done this study and read these verses, I have the picture in my head of the remnant of Jews, frightened and surrounded by evil men, but reading the words of the Lord from thousands of years ago for comfort and guidance. And each time they come across the word Selah, it is a promise to them.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;