Schizophrenia's linked to diabetes?

Hi!

So i have friends in multiples with Schizophrenia, mostly positive symptoms but in periods also negative, whom all 3 of them have eating problems. They eat every 20 minutes or get REAL darn cranky and dissapear from whatever social activity we were doing. These people seriously eat every 20 minutes. Just alittle bit but still. So it hit me, one of them has full blown diabetes..The other two ACT as if they do with an instavle blood sugar which causes hunger and crankyness. So..ofc I googled and check this out:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=2E.......1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0j0i67.GzGueD6qqOo

Loads and loads of articles about the connection. The seem to think not only is there a link but that schizophrenia's connected to diabetes of the brain, in the neurons.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this you'd like to share?

Are they on meds? Anti psychotics cause carb cravings. They are doing preliminary trials in nyc of pairing the antipsychotics with diabetes medicine (even in those without diabetes) to see if it helps with the excessive eating and accompanying weight gain.

There is also a correlation with autoimmune diseases and depression, the body attack it's own cells, including brain cells.

I believe that thicker blood caused by excess sugar might cause similar effects since the brain is highly vascularized.

The circulation problems that people with diabetes have in their hands and feet might occur in the brain in a different scale. Plus all that sugar might cause some problems since the brain already needs lots of sugar to work

Diabetes can also be key in strokes causing dementia and Alzheimer’s. My fil had a series of strokes due to not taking care of his diabetes and is now suffering from both dementia and Alzheimer’s.