Scariest Movies, Ever

Ace of Spades

Rookie
The Silence of the lambs is one of my favorite movies! Split was evil, the conjuring, Annabelle, and insidious were all pretty scary. I try to stay away from scary movies though I don’t enjoy being scared or seeing people suffer
Me too, I hate horror movies, too much graphic content these days as well. I dont remember when was the last time I watched a horror movie.

TruthSucker

Established
Alien
Jaws
The Omen
Blair Witch Project
Rosemaries Baby
the Exorcist
Shining

I said it in another thread: movies which build up tension and are not overloaded with CGI. These are the scary ones. Horror today is like splatter, the more gore, the better. Tension? What is this?

The Descent (2005) was a very good made movie, that one was sucking me in. But forget about part 2, total garbage.
If you like scary movies you should have watched this.

Last edited:

yiksmes

Established
I hate horror films too, not my thing and don't find them scary:)

But has anyone seen:
The Sleepaway Camp part 1?

The most creepiest ending ever!

Leviathan

Established
I don't really get scared by movies but I love horror films anyways. I've always been fascinated by dark things and they really get my imagination running. Certain films do creep me out when I consider them happening in real life, though. Race With the Devil and Rosemary's Baby were creepy because they built a sense of paranoia while watching them. You could never tell who was part of the action and who wasn't. Anybody could've been part of those cults. Even someone you know, love, trust, and see everyday.

Then there are movies like The Town That Dreaded Sundown, Megan Is Missing, Poughkeepsie Tapes, etc., where you never know for sure who the evil killers are and they get away with everything without being caught. The killer could be your father, brother, uncle, cousin, the neighbor who always waves, your doctor, your waiter at a restaurant, or just a random stranger you pass by at Walmart. It could be anybody and that's what scares me about those movies. You never know what people do behind closed doors when you aren't looking.....

And lastly, I thought The Blair Witch Project was really creepy. I know it's a very divisive film. People either love it or loathe it. Nothing in between. I think it's the most realistic out of all the found footage films I've seen, though. Most of the others seem just like normal movies, but this one actually feels like amateur footage to me. And plus, the idea itself is creepy. So many watch it and say "they should've done this, they should've done that..." but whatever force owned those woods was so powerful not even the smartest/strongest person in the world would stand a chance. Then it left the footage behind as a warning to others of what would happen if they messed with it.

Leviathan

Established
Most scary movies seemed so fake it was hard to be scared by them. Although Poltergeist was scary too especially since the little girl died while they were making one of them. Hated Poltergeist especially that lady with the creepy voice in the first one, but the fourth one was the worst. I think it was the fourth one when they were in the apartment building. I think that’s the one when the little girl died. It was super creepy.
Poltergeist III was the one in the apartment building. The 4th one is the remake. You are right about her dying before the film was released, though. She was only 12 years old at the time of her death. A very sad story.

And the creepy voice woman was named Tangina. The actress was Zelda Rubinstein. She was in all of them except for the remake. I love her. One of my favorite actresses.

The Zone

Star
I guess I should weigh in since I started the thread.. I am rarely scared from horror movies or sci fi but I am creeped out on occasion. I have little use for slasher films but did try and stomach most of the horror movies which push the limits or are on hard to watch lists. While I find them gross at times, I keep it in perspective and it gives me an idea of what others are thinking. I can mention some hard to watch horror suggestions but they are for the pros in the group and not the squeamish. I actually am most effected by psychological or suggestive terror than gore, but some of the movies on a dare to watch list mostly have gore.

Etagloc

Superstar
The real scary movie was Psycho. It was pretty scary for a talkie. It all went downhill when they switched to color.

Leviathan

Established
Black Christmas (1974) is another great one I forgot to mention with a scary mystery killer. You never know who "Billy" is or if it's even his real name. All I can say for sure is hope you never find yourself in the clutches of a maniac like him.

elsbet

Superstar
Poltergeist III was the one in the apartment building. The 4th one is the remake. You are right about her dying before the film was released, though. She was only 12 years old at the time of her death. A very sad story.

And the creepy voice woman was named Tangina. The actress was Zelda Rubinstein. She was in all of them except for the remake. I love her. One of my favorite actresses.
Interesting the television static in Poltergeist and Stranger Things both lead to the Other dimension or the Upside Down. I'm sure there's something to that.. power over the air(waves).

"Stay away from the light, Carolaaanne!"

:D

Leviathan

Established
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is another one I just thought of. The idea of people you know and see everyday not being themselves is very creepy. They look and talk exactly the same, but instinctually you know it isn't them. I'm always afraid that will happen to me one day.

~JC~

Veteran
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is another one I just thought of. The idea of people you know and see everyday not being themselves is very creepy. They look and talk exactly the same, but instinctually you know it isn't them. I'm always afraid that will happen to me one day.
You had me at Invasion of the Body Snatchers :eek:

tiddlywinks

Rookie
I've spent an... unjustifiable amount of time watching horror/thriller films and will try to recommend some of the more /modern/ ones that I've seen - I've wasted enough of my life sorting the good from the bad, you shouldn't have to. Everyone knows the classics, but... Some seriously brilliant stuff gets created when low budgets or new technologies get involved. Personally, I feel that "true" scary movies require/illustrate some of the greatest techniques possible. Suspense is key - and my preference is to honestly never even see the threat at all. These are a few off the top of my head, I'll try to update if I can remember...

BlumHouse (responsible for Whiplash, which is GREAT - but not quite relevant, lol) has some really stellar stuff (Insidious/Conjurish/Hush/Oculus)! Creep was a pretty neat character piece through found footage. Session 9 is a long-time favorite, from the early 2000s, set in an abandoned psychiatric hospital. (As a nyctophobe... *shudders*) Pontypool is a low-budget, black-box gem: very well-written and entertaining, super neat concept. It Follows was innovative with a great soundtrack by Disasterpiece (who did the music for FEZ, a favorite puzzle game of mine). Autopsy of Jane Doe was VERY GOOD. They Look Like People was an under-stated joy to watch on Netflix. The Invitation was a good thriller with an intense twist ending. Split, with James McAvoy, was exceptionally intriguing - many of you will likely love it, as well, as he depicts a character with thirteen(?) different "alters". Terrific acting. The Woman in Black, with Daniel Radcliffe, is heinously underrated. Green Room and Blue Ruin are two films directed by the same brilliant mind that I was really surprised by in terms of quality. Last Shift was another surprising Netflix gem, very low-budget but effective in suspense. The Void, the Orphanage, the Awakening, and the Others were all pretty okay. I'm also a sucker for the Village (and the Visit, Shyamalan's newer work).

The most recent movie that I watched which REALLY shook me was called "Coherence". Definitely look it up - a completely improvised thrilled which... just... really blew me away in terms of the direction and thought it required.

Last edited:

tiddlywinks

Rookie
Oh! And, almost more importantly than any of the above... Check out Alan Resnick's "This House Has People in It" and "Unedited Footage of a Bear". Deceptively, these are two weird shorts that Adult Swim syndicated to scare viewers at 4AM after they had fallen asleep with the TV still going - but there's just so much more. I've seriously not been so inspired by something in YEARS.

Watch the "infomercials", then DEFINITELY look at this guy NightMind's analyses. What appeared as simple as a ten minute long (brilliant, beautiful and exhilarating to watch) satire on clinical psychology is REALLY about 90 hours of filmed content, interactive websites that require code-breaking to get into, video games that you'd never know about... I'm really just at a loss for words. Hope y'all enjoy, too.