Robots, AI, and Bears, Oh My!

DesertRose

Superstar
Ex-Google Engineer Fears AI ‘Killer Robots’ Could Perpetrate Unintended Mass Atrocities
By Richard Enos

"More than 2,600 AI researchers and engineers have signed a pledge to never create autonomous killer robots, published today by the Future of Life Institute. Signees include Elon Musk, Alphabet’s DeepMind co-founders Mustafa Suleyman, Demis Hassabis, and Shane Legg, as well as Google’s Jeff Dean, and the University of Montreal’s Yoshua Bengio."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/09/no_author/ex-google-engineer-fears-ai-killer-robots-could-perpetrate-unintended-mass-atrocities/

Whose to stop the engineers and AI researchers who did not sign that pledge? Moreover, people in this day and age may say one thing at one time and do another thing when money becomes an incentive. (Morals for dollars and cheap Integrity is affliction of our times.....)

DavidSon

Star
Ex-Google Engineer Fears AI ‘Killer Robots’ Could Perpetrate Unintended Mass Atrocities
By Richard Enos

"More than 2,600 AI researchers and engineers have signed a pledge to never create autonomous killer robots, published today by the Future of Life Institute. Signees include Elon Musk, Alphabet’s DeepMind co-founders Mustafa Suleyman, Demis Hassabis, and Shane Legg, as well as Google’s Jeff Dean, and the University of Montreal’s Yoshua Bengio."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/09/no_author/ex-google-engineer-fears-ai-killer-robots-could-perpetrate-unintended-mass-atrocities/

Whose to stop the engineers and AI researchers who did not sign that pledge? Moreover, people in this day and age may say one thing at one time and do another thing when money becomes an incentive. (Morals for dollars and cheap Integrity is affliction of our times.....)
Nice to read the large amount of tech leaders refusing to program "killer robots". Now they need to make it into a law.

Rockwell's conclusion was beautiful:

"Events in our world such as the emergence of autonomous ‘killer robots’ are ominous and foreboding, but we need not shrink away from this kind of news in a state of fear and resignation. If we can see, in the bigger picture, that it is ultimately a projection of our collective consciousness that brings these events into being, then we can take these events to be a trigger for each of us to determine exactly what kind of world we want to live in going forward, and have that determination clearly reflected in our thoughts, words, and actions. In this way, we participate in the larger awakening process and help to move humanity forward in the transition to a world of greater peace and harmony."

DesertRose

Superstar
Nice to read the large amount of tech leaders refusing to program "killer robots". Now they need to make it into a law.

Rockwell's conclusion was beautiful:
Davidson, I agree with you advancement in robotics is a good thing but wonder whether the elite will misuse advancement towards warfare.
It seems that much tech has been advanced by the military industrial complex.
I was listening to a lecture by George Friedman regarding the fact that many components of the cell phone for example were brought about by military technicians. I guess I am pessimistic regarding the intentions of those who fund this research and their endgame.
Here is the lecture:
Is World War III on Its Way? | George Friedman at Brain Bar
BTW I would not be surprised if the pentagon (as well as the Chinese, Russian, and Israeli equivalents) already have killer robots in this day and age.

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
Davidson, I agree with you advancement in robotics is a good thing but wonder whether the elite will misuse advancement towards warfare.
It seems that much tech has been advanced by the military industrial complex.
I was listening to a lecture by George Friedman regarding the fact that many components of the cell phone for example were brought about by military technicians. I guess I am pessimistic regarding the intentions of those who fund this research and their endgame.
Here is the lecture:
Is World War III on Its Way? | George Friedman at Brain Bar
BTW I would not be surprised if the pentagon (as well as the Chinese, Russian, and Israeli equivalents) already have killer robots in this day and age.
I guess I'm not the biggest fan of Friedman. :D Parts of me hates that he might be right... but publicly he offers no positive action we could at least attempt. He reminds me of George W a bit. That was a strange conference. Did you notice the clip of the performance at 22:45? I think the lyrics were something about, "she(Eve?) ate too many apples and died...they fermented inside..." The man and woman dressed in identical robes, a black man with a white mask, the monster of a woman on a throne. I'd like to hear VC's thoughts on it!

I agree with what you're saying though. The military cannot be trusted to ensure our well-being. They're spending billions every year integrating technology into weapons. They are maniacs. Robotics and AI should only be developed for human progress. Like Frieman said, we have to be careful (of the enemy of peace).