Reclaiming slur words

morita

Veteran
question aimed at black ppl: do you use the n-word? Do you think it's offensive?
I've seen debates among black americans abt whether or not black people from other countries could use the word.

Last edited:
The first thing that has to be done is getting to the bottom of what the word actually meant. Before it was used in the bad sense it was used in, it was used in Latin for the word “black”. As in “Niger” is the Latin word for black. So all that happened was people started using a neutral word in a derogatory way to the people we call today “blacks”.

More derogatory than that word is the erasing of the history of the people the word references. Walter Plecker passed a Virginian law in the 18 or 1900s that stated that people could only identify as black or white. Thus with the strike of the pen he erased thousands of Indian heritage by forcing them to essentially identify as black (negro at the time I think). That’s more derogatory IMO than walking up to a “black” person and calling them “black” (N word)

Stephania

Star
Since this post is called 'the reclaiming of slur words'.. I would like to offer another one.. 'fagot'. Fagot in British English always meant a stick that was lit on fire in British English until the early 1900's.. when they changed the meaning to 'homosexual'. How did that happen?

Last edited:

Stephania

Star
Example.. this poem that Martin Luther King used in his speeches. 'fagots' here does not mean homosexual.. but sticks lit on top with fire that people used to hold to see in the dark. https://poets.org/poem/present-crisis

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Every star shines though. Just saying, adding shining before the word star doesn't really add anything. I mean if anyone wants to be a shining star go for it. I'm going to be a supernova though.

maybe we should forcibly include non-whites on the forum to be more inclusive.
or we can start kicking out white people.
Excuse me??

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But that seems racist, or reverse racism. Idk I'm not the go-to guy when it comes to racial tensions. Seriously though, I think we are pretty inclusive. However, we should consider we may be pushing people away unintentionally.

polymoog

Superstar
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But that seems racist, or reverse racism. Idk I'm not the go-to guy when it comes to racial tensions. Seriously though, I think we are pretty inclusive. However, we should consider we may be pushing people away unintentionally.
of course i was being facetious, but you said, "dang, VC is so white". maybe i read you wrong initially, but if the forum attracts more white people (or whatever race/culture), so be it.

polymoog

Superstar
nah, it's in-group vs out-group dynamic. I can't go to a gay person and call them faggot if I don't belong to that scene. Juts like you can't say the n-word if you're not black. It's not that complicated.
i dont agree with that. its either acceptable or not acceptable for everyone to say.

you used the 'f' word. why can you say the 'f' word and not the 'n' word? why does the 'n' word get special treatment? who is to say what is more hateful?