Random Thoughts

MoroccanEyes

Rookie
Why did the neighbour below us have to plant such horrible bamboo instead of other hedging plants for screening? Couldn't he realize that it would create such a mess for both us and him?
But what if he knew that Bamboo plants have the fastest, or one of the fastest growth rates so it would be an effective method for screening, in case someone breaks it? and sees what treasure can be on the other side?

JoChris

Superstar
I am sympathetic for privacy's sake as they've got a pool. Most people wouldn't want strangers being able to see them swimming etc. I wouldn't want anyone peaking over my fence either, but that would need them to take a ladder.

There are plenty of tall bushy palm trees or hedging plants for people who don't mind pruning. If there was poison that left no evidence, just made top 1/4- 1/2 of bamboo lose leaves so only they had the mess to clean WITHOUT killing the bamboo I would certainly use it.

JoChris

Superstar
I am sympathetic for privacy's sake as they've got a pool. Most people wouldn't want strangers being able to see them swimming etc. I wouldn't want anyone peaking over my fence either, but that would need them to take a ladder.

There are plenty of tall bushy palm trees or hedging plants for people who don't mind pruning. If there was poison that left no evidence, just made top 1/4 -1/2 of bamboo lose leaves so only they had the mess to clean WITHOUT killing the bamboo I would certainly use it.

The Zone

Star
I was actually thinking of creating the random thoughts thread but felt Hex should do it in that he was responsible for the g running original.

Lisa

Superstar
I was actually thinking of creating the random thoughts thread but felt Hex should do it in that he was responsible for the g running original.
Ya, I know, but I wanted to talk about the trophies and I didn't know if Hex would be back.

Armas

Rookie
This seemed like a good thread on the last forum....so here it is again....

I was wondering, what is the point of the trophies? Am I in kindergarten?
If you are a gamer, they are similar to achievements in games. if you find a hidden place for example, you get an achievement for that. Maybe there is a secret place in this forums :D.

Lisa

Superstar
If you are a gamer, they are similar to achievements in games. if you find a hidden place for example, you get an achievement for that. Maybe there is a secret place in this forums :D.
Haha, maybe there is a secret place here...just seems kinda childish to me that I can get a participation trophy but it would make it interesting if it opened up secrets...;)

Loki

Established
The trophies are an interesting feature as they (somewhat) promote participation for some. However, they are also somewhat pointless because the top trophy is for like 500 likes, and that will be attained by most frequent posters within the first few months.

I personally don't think the Like System works very well for a site like this anyway because historically (from my perspective anyway) the likes mostly just promote division where one group of similar thinkers like all of their similar thinking friends' posts and the other group does the same. I believe the original intent when we put the system in place was to allow the less vocal posters a way to show their support of a post or appreciation for a post without having to quote the post and say "Totally agree!" and not much else, so it cut down on 'spammy' posts. I just don't think it has really worked that well, instead it encourages something of a popularity contest.

That's just my two cents though.

Loki

Established
As far as I know Hex is currently on holiday in Peru and doesn't seem to want to come back.
He is back actually, but just busy. I imagine he knows that this place is back up, but I honestly can't see him having much interest in posting here as he doesn't even post on his own forum really. His interests have mostly shifted away from conspiracy culture, plus life and work and all. I do still want to hear from him how his latest trip to Peru went, I really enjoyed reading his recap from the last one.

As for random thoughts:

I'm seeing the first signs of spring, yay!
Ugh, it's been freezing here all week after being in the mid 70s to 80s the last couple of weeks. Sucks balls. Hopefully this is the last of it.