Random Thoughts

The Jordache Look

the word around the message board is that Orwell's mentor has the look.
You're not going to believe this, but I actually had a jean jacket very similar to the one the girl is wearing in the commercial at :11secs. I was watching Back to the Future the other day and realized Marty McFly had one too so they were really cool back in the '80s.

Awoken2

Superstar
OK so we are getting told that the polar ice caps are melting and if this continues sea levels will rise giving a hell of a lot more people a coastal view.

But when ice cubes melt in your drink the level of the drink stays the same as all that's happened is the ice was displaced by water.

Surely if the same science applies to both either the ice cubes should increase the level of the water or the ice caps aren't gonna make sea levels rise at all.

Can an intelligent person explain this one for me please? I'm a bit confused.

OK so we are getting told that the polar ice caps are melting and if this continues sea levels will rise giving a hell of a lot more people a coastal view.

But when ice cubes melt in your drink the level of the drink stays the same as all that's happened is the ice was displaced by water.

Surely if the same science applies to both either the ice cubes should increase the level of the water or the ice caps aren't gonna make sea levels rise at all.

This seems to be the reason, I think. You asked for an intelligent person to explain it, but most of this is over my head. Especially, for a Sunday afternoon:

I do remember someone explaining the reason why water expands when it freezes is because it needs to crystalize and take shape, which takes up more space. When ice melts, water goes back to its' regular form and molecules move around more freely. I don't think I'm answering your question, though.

This might be something for @polymoog to answer...

polymoog

Superstar
I do remember someone explaining the reason why water expands when it freezes is because it needs to crystalize and take shape, which takes up more space. When ice melts, water goes back to its' regular form and molecules move around more freely. I don't think I'm answering your question, though.

This might be something for @polymoog to answer...
the density of ice is .92.
the density of water is 1.0 (gram per cubic centimeter).
since the ice is less dense than the water, it floats.

the short answer is that they equal each other out in terms of volume in the glass. @Awoken2 youre reasoning is correct-- nothing will happen. stop critically thinking and do what youre told!

fun fact that no one cares about: the fact that ice floats and that water is most dense at 40 degrees F makes life possible. if the ice sunk, lakes would freeze solid.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
Italian Eurovision Song Contest Winner Caught Snorting Cocaine while 200 Million People are Watching

0:48.
Måneskin's frontman Damiano David appears to sniff something off the table he was sitting behind, just before his group's victory was announced.
His bandmate appears to warn him.

im thinking he should have his maneskin removed as punishment and given to a needy jewish person.

Awoken2

Superstar
the density of ice is .92.
the density of water is 1.0 (gram per cubic centimeter).
since the ice is less dense than the water, it floats.
Thanks for these figures, this explains a lot to me. It also confirms why really dense people who didn't learn to swim often die when visiting pools, lakes and sea's. Their density just drags them to the bottom.....terrible.

the short answer is that they equal each other out in terms of volume in the glass. @Awoken2 youre reasoning is correct-- nothing will happen. stop critically thinking and do what youre told!
I thought for a minute there you were going to show some hugely complex kais-esque equation that shows how the physical properties of ice and water changes at some critical point between an ice cube and ice berg state thus rendering all current knowledge on this topic completely useless.

Thanks for confirming my bias man :cool:

Maes17

Superstar

I think you’re on to something

Lurking009

Veteran

Considering woke rich elite politicians and celebrities who are allegedly following the global warming science buy beachside homes all the time [see Obama], I think we can safely call bullshit.

AmazingGrace

Established
Thanks for these figures, this explains a lot to me. It also confirms why really dense people who didn't learn to swim often die when visiting pools, lakes and sea's. Their density just drags them to the bottom.....terrible.

I thought for a minute there you were going to show some hugely complex kais-esque equation that shows how the physical properties of ice and water changes at some critical point between an ice cube and ice berg state thus rendering all current knowledge on this topic completely useless.

Thanks for confirming my bias man :cool:
What about the ice in Antarctica? It's not in water but on land, and it's more than 1 mile thick on average. If this melts it would rise sea levels.
1622034998462.png

AmazingGrace

Established
@Awoken2
What is the global volume of land ice and how is it changing?
How much land ice is there in the World?

Most (99.5%) of the permanent ice volume in the world is locked up in ice sheets and glaciers. The Antarctic Ice Sheet is the largest store of frozen freshwater; it would raise sea levels by 57.9 m (its “sea level equivalent”, or SLE) on full melting (BedMachine). The Antarctic Ice Sheet covers 8.3% of the Earth’s land surface.

The Greenland Ice Sheet has a sea level equivalent ice volume of 7.42 m, and covers 1.2% of the global land surface (BedMachine).

Finally, glaciers and ice caps have a sea level equivalent ice volume of 0.32 m, covering just 0.5% of the global land surface (Figure 1). There is a nice illustration of this here.

Awoken2

Superstar
@Awoken2
What is the global volume of land ice and how is it changing?
How much land ice is there in the World?

Most (99.5%) of the permanent ice volume in the world is locked up in ice sheets and glaciers. The Antarctic Ice Sheet is the largest store of frozen freshwater; it would raise sea levels by 57.9 m (its “sea level equivalent”, or SLE) on full melting (BedMachine). The Antarctic Ice Sheet covers 8.3% of the Earth’s land surface.

The Greenland Ice Sheet has a sea level equivalent ice volume of 7.42 m, and covers 1.2% of the global land surface (BedMachine).

Finally, glaciers and ice caps have a sea level equivalent ice volume of 0.32 m, covering just 0.5% of the global land surface (Figure 1). There is a nice illustration of this here.
Hey thanks for all your information here. I'm still of the opinion that we are at more of a threat from a man made tsunami than we are from any rising sea levels though.