Random Thoughts

polymoog

Superstar
I’m curious and since this is the the random thoughts thread and my thread...what are your favorite foods to eat?
ill eat the most healthy stuff i can. flavor and taste can go to hell.

moringa leaves, noni juice, spirulina, broccoli sprouts... fermented foods... full fat yogurt...kefir.... kelp kimchi... high ORAC foods; ill dump cinnamon powder (very high on the ORAC scale) on something to eat even though i hate cinnamon...

eating bad stuff is subjective. what i would say is bad others might think is acceptable.
i wont budge on bread/pasta or anything thats been genetically engineered and i wont eat "natural flavors".

if im in a situation where i have to eat whats given to me (i was invited to this boat-mans house in ao nang somewhere, and the guy was poor but he made me some fried fish and i have no idea what kind of oil it was cooked in) , ill silently bless the food and try to dispel the negativity/give it a good vibe. although it is a bit of woo-woo thinking to many, in rare situations like that i think the idea that the food was "made with love" mitigates a lot of the damage.

polymoog

Superstar
Any way to get rid of striped cucumber beetles? Ima bit sad about my eggplant.

i planted red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers. The green are coming in well. The red yellw and orange are too but they are huge and still haven’t changed color and I’m worrying a little if I let them sit out longer they will rot or something (again? First foray gardening here so I don’t even know if that’s a thing)
unless theyre sitting on the soil and its raining for awhile, you wont need to worry about them rotting. besides, if you get a black spot on one of them, you can just cut it out with a knife and the rest is salvageable. theyll turn. you must learn patience, daniel-san.
if theyre the striped cucumber beetles, theres probably a bunch of them. you can find an organically listed spray (neem, some kind of soapshield, etc.) or you could grab a bunch, crush them up into a fluid, and then let it sit for a few days. you then spray it on the plants and either the scent deters them or a fungus grows on the crushed beetle juice which can infect the others. this worked well for a friends fig trees, which were covered with these tiny flea beetles.
of course, youll have to reapply whatever you apply after a rain.

i had some potted rudbeckia on the deck outside which had a small infestation of red aphids. i crushed most of them with my fingers when i could and wiped the remains on the leaf surface. later, a small bird must have noticed the aphids or the dead ones on the leaf surface and flew down to pick them off. theyve been aphid-free for awhile now. i am thinking that the crushed, dead aphids (the smell or the sight) led the bird to the horde.

justjess

Superstar
unless theyre sitting on the soil and its raining for awhile, you wont need to worry about them rotting. besides, if you get a black spot on one of them, you can just cut it out with a knife and the rest is salvageable. theyll turn. you must learn patience, daniel-san.
if theyre the striped cucumber beetles, theres probably a bunch of them. you can find an organically listed spray (neem, some kind of soapshield, etc.) or you could grab a bunch, crush them up into a fluid, and then let it sit for a few days. you then spray it on the plants and either the scent deters them or a fungus grows on the crushed beetle juice which can infect the others. this worked well for a friends fig trees, which were covered with these tiny flea beetles.
of course, youll have to reapply whatever you apply after a rain.

i had some potted rudbeckia on the deck outside which had a small infestation of red aphids. i crushed most of them with my fingers when i could and wiped the remains on the leaf surface. later, a small bird must have noticed the aphids or the dead ones on the leaf surface and flew down to pick them off. theyve been aphid-free for awhile now. i am thinking that the crushed, dead aphids (the smell or the sight) led the bird to the horde.
Today’s the first time I spotted one of the little fuckers. I knew something was messing with the eggplant I could just never find anything and whatever it is is leaving the rest of the plants alone. I’ll go back out there tomorrow and see if I can find anymore and give it a shot. Can’t hurt to try. I’d rather stay away from chemicals of any sort if possible.

thanks for the tip, @Lurker too

justjess

Superstar
My go to's. In order.
1. Jet spray/flood with water
2. A soap spray
3. A neem based spray, though it tends to work better as a prophylaxis before step 1
4. A neem base with Pyrethrins . Natural base but very toxic to bees. Follow directions, don't use while bees are active.

If none work, burn it.
Thank you for all the tips. It’s a learning process but I’m happy with how well it’s been going so far despite these little bumps. I was convinced we would have exactly ZERO food to show for all our efforts lol. So anything more than zero is a win and I’m going to be swimming in green peppers, tomatoes and Jalepenos for months so much better then expected.

Lisa

Superstar
ill eat the most healthy stuff i can. flavor and taste can go to hell.

moringa leaves, noni juice, spirulina, broccoli sprouts... fermented foods... full fat yogurt...kefir.... kelp kimchi... high ORAC foods; ill dump cinnamon powder (very high on the ORAC scale) on something to eat even though i hate cinnamon...

eating bad stuff is subjective. what i would say is bad others might think is acceptable.
i wont budge on bread/pasta or anything thats been genetically engineered and i wont eat "natural flavors".

if im in a situation where i have to eat whats given to me (i was invited to this boat-mans house in ao nang somewhere, and the guy was poor but he made me some fried fish and i have no idea what kind of oil it was cooked in) , ill silently bless the food and try to dispel the negativity/give it a good vibe. although it is a bit of woo-woo thinking to many, in rare situations like that i think the idea that the food was "made with love" mitigates a lot of the damage.
You really mean it when you say flavor and taste can go to hell...so you think if you eat like this you will live longer?

polymoog

Superstar
You really mean it when you say flavor and taste can go to hell...so you think if you eat like this you will live longer?
as redd foxx would say, "youre gonna look pretty stupid, dying of nothin' !"

im not concerned about living longer (there are things one can take to keep your telomeres intact). for me, its more about living with 100% of my brain faculties and being able to be very active at an older age. you wont see me with a joe biden brain.

Lisa

Superstar
as redd foxx would say, "youre gonna look pretty stupid, dying of nothin' !"

im not concerned about living longer (there are things one can take to keep your telomeres intact). for me, its more about living with 100% of my brain faculties and being able to be very active at an older age. you wont see me with a joe biden brain.
I hope it is all worth it and works out like you hope.

justjess

Superstar
How many acres do you think someone would need to sustain the basic food needs of twenty people??

Lisa

Superstar
The secret jungle waterslide... to the BEYOND: Moment two revellers dive into waterfall and disappear from sight only to find themselves in pitch black cave

Lisa

Superstar
Yes, bare minimum. It's called seasons.
So she’d have to get 20 acres for every person...and they could work their plot of land? Hopefully, they would know to can the food and not think it could last all year..

Lisa

Superstar
A short growing season will require much more land than a long one.

An acre of green beans for a year supply seems reasonable.

People have done it for thousands of years.

Even with my long season, I would strive for closer to 5 each.
I just meant that its a lot of work working an acre of land...Idk if people are gonna want to do that.

Five seems like a lot of land for food for just one year for one person.

justjess

Superstar
Want to? Probably not. Need to? Maybe.

factor in that fruit/nut trees will need much more space than vegetables. Plus the land for housing, it sounds reasonable.
I’ve seen estimates from 1 acre to way more per person. Permaculture seems to reduce it. We are looking at property and my in laws are saying 12 acres but I know that’s not enough for 15-20 people. And then I saw one that is 22 but I’m thinking that’s probably not enough either. And I’m just talking bare minimum here - vegetables, fruit, nuts, some chickens and maybe pigs and goats.