Random Thoughts

Loki

Established
Just thinking about time. It is supposedly consistent yet seems so erratic. At times there seems like too much time, while at other times it is not enough. I wonder why years seem faster as we age and how the control of time itself is such a key ingredient in our live. And then I think of what we do with our time and harbor back to my readings when people are on their death bed how a vast many regret how they have spent some of the allotted time in life. And are we using time correctly? Do we fully understand its true nature as it is intended? Will we in the end realize a lifetime is but a fleeting moment in the future construct of what is to come or will it just end? Will afterlife alter perceptions of time and will there even be time as we know it. Yeah. Time.
I read not too long ago that the reason time speeds up as we age is because we settle into rhythms and repetition. When we do the same things over and over every day our brain throws a lot of that useless repetitive info out and so when we look/remember back it seems like time has flown. Time feels slower when we are young because many experiences are new and different.

If you want time to slow down then start doing things you've never done before. We measure time by our experiences, so the more new experiences we have the longer our life feels.

Loki

Established
Can anyone help me settle a argument?

A co-worker claimed it's normal but I disagree, he brushes his teeth after breakfast o_O

In the 26 years I've been alive on this earth I've never been so gobsmacked. Excuse the hyperbole but how can one have breakfast without brushing their teeth first???
I've always brushed my teeth after breakfast, why waste the tooth paste if you are about to eat again shortly? I wake up, shower, eat/drink a shake, then brush my teeth before going to work. I'm pretty sure everyone I know does the same.

I mean, you shoukd have JUST brushed your teeth before bed. What has happened in those 8 hours of being unconscious that you need to brush your teeth as soon as you wake up? :D

Lurker

Star
I read not too long ago that the reason time speeds up as we age is because we settle into rhythms and repetition. When we do the same things over and over every day our brain throws a lot of that useless repetitive info out and so when we look/remember back it seems like time has flown. Time feels slower when we are young because many experiences are new and different.

If you want time to slow down then start doing things you've never done before. We measure time by our experiences, so the more new experiences we have the longer our life feels.
Also, time is not constant. Atomic clocks at different altitudes will have a slight difference.

polymoog

Superstar

thats interesting, and it makes sense. however, ive read that even younger people feel like time is moving faster. ive also asked a few who agreed with me. is the increased schumann frequency responsible?

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Child to parent, "What is the real meaning of Ping Pong?"
[Jean-Michel Saive (BEL) plays against good friend Chuang Chih-Yuan (TPE)]

Kung Fu

Superstar
"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist."

^Legit made me chuckle when I read that.

Damien50

Star
"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist."

^Legit made me chuckle when I read that.
I wonder where all this new find sensitivity originated from. Everyone is so PC its cringe worthy to the extreme.

Though I have a question for you Fu. What's your opinion of women in public gyms wearing only sports bras and teeny shorts? I was reading this feminist blog and the woman thought it was acceptable because some make athletes compete in speedos and shirtless.

It's neither here nor there in a gym setting imo. I always worry about hygiene in these public areas and there's no real excuse for the women to dress this way, especially for comfort, when they could wear compression shorts/pants/capris for ultimate mobility. I wear a tank and either compression pants or shorts or basketball shorts so I don't see how much more mobility a woman is going to get from wearing shorter-than-volleyball-shorts.

It tends to at my local gym get downright ridiculous. I don't know if these women want attention or seriously think this is the most comfortable outfit for some sets of 60lb back squats yet I squat 380lbs on a bad day in cargo shorts and running shoes just fine. I don't like it when men go all shirtless sweating over the equipment and don't wipe when they are done and yet I simultaneously get uncomfortable when women are practically lifting in bikinis.

The gym is a place of seriousness imo and I don't see this at my gym. These women aren't world class lifters let alone average but they throw me off personally like guys that take their shirts off and congregate in front of the mirrors to take selfies.

I'd like to think I'm just being a prude but I feel otherwise and hence yearn to lift more frequently at home. Yet the gym is right across from my job so...

rainerann

Star
I wonder where all this new find sensitivity originated from. Everyone is so PC its cringe worthy to the extreme.

Though I have a question for you Fu. What's your opinion of women in public gyms wearing only sports bras and teeny shorts? I was reading this feminist blog and the woman thought it was acceptable because some make athletes compete in speedos and shirtless.

It's neither here nor there in a gym setting imo. I always worry about hygiene in these public areas and there's no real excuse for the women to dress this way, especially for comfort, when they could wear compression shorts/pants/capris for ultimate mobility. I wear a tank and either compression pants or shorts or basketball shorts so I don't see how much more mobility a woman is going to get from wearing shorter-than-volleyball-shorts.

It tends to at my local gym get downright ridiculous. I don't know if these women want attention or seriously think this is the most comfortable outfit for some sets of 60lb back squats yet I squat 380lbs on a bad day in cargo shorts and running shoes just fine. I don't like it when men go all shirtless sweating over the equipment and don't wipe when they are done and yet I simultaneously get uncomfortable when women are practically lifting in bikinis.

The gym is a place of seriousness imo and I don't see this at my gym. These women aren't world class lifters let alone average but they throw me off personally like guys that take their shirts off and congregate in front of the mirrors to take selfies.

I'd like to think I'm just being a prude but I feel otherwise and hence yearn to lift more frequently at home. Yet the gym is right across from my job so...
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I can't help myself. I can't stand gyms for these reasons alone. I can't stand the sense that there is an unspoken agreement to compete in this unrecognized beauty contest. I prefer to watch a TV show and use my elliptical in the privacy of my own home where I won't be judged by the clothes I choose to wear.