Random Thoughts

justjess

Superstar
Everyone relies on grocery stores...even you right now.

I’m just saying it might be a waste of your time to get land...do the work someone else already does for you and the grocery stores continue to stay open.
And I’m just saying that YOU can be reliably counted on to come in and talk shit/derail/obscure any conversation with the least bit of possibility of upsetting the current power structure and status quo. I hardly believe that’s purely accidental. Enjoy your flowers, I’ll be busy enjoying my food.

Lisa

Superstar
And I’m just saying that YOU can be reliably counted on to come in and talk shit/derail/obscure any conversation with the least bit of possibility of upsetting the current power structure and status quo. I hardly believe that’s purely accidental. Enjoy your flowers, I’ll be busy enjoying my food.
If you can keep your enthusiasm for growing them when you could just go to the store and buy it..:p

Lisa

Superstar
News flash: they sell flowers at stores too ;)
Sure..but its a lot harder to buy cut flowers and put them in the ground thinking they will grow...lol!
Besides which I already told you I bought the plants that were already flowering and planted those...i.e. I didn’t start from seed.
And my outside flowers are for outside..I don’t really like to cut them and bring them in.

justjess

Superstar
Sure..but its a lot harder to buy cut flowers and put them in the ground thinking they will grow...lol!
Besides which I already told you I bought the plants that were already flowering and planted those...i.e. I didn’t start from seed.
And my outside flowers are for outside..I don’t really like to cut them and bring them in.
You don’t have to plant or grow flowers at all. You could just go to a florist and get a bouquet. Hell, gas stations sell bouquets of flowers. If all you did was stick a shrub in the ground with some flowers on it you aren’t really gardening at all are you?

Lisa

Superstar
You don’t have to plant or grow flowers at all. You could just go to a florist and get a bouquet. Hell, gas stations sell bouquets of flowers. If all you did was stick a shrub in the ground with some flowers on it you aren’t really gardening at all are you?
I have to keep it alive..that’s not that easy.
If I want to see flowers outside I do have to buy the plant or start from seed....you can’t just plant a flower with a stem...it will just die

Lisa

Superstar
You could root them. Woody stems are harder to do, but can still be done. I have several "free" plants from cuttings.
For outside plants? I’ve never done that but my dad likes to start seeds in his basement in the spring time. He’s an actual gardener..a master gardener in fact and he has lights and the plants on timers that water them. That’s too much work for me but he enjoys that and it’s cheaper than buying the plant like I do..already grown and flowering. But he has the best garden!
CCFDB5EC-2641-4003-AF5C-066A99BD3326.jpeg

justjess

Superstar
I have to keep it alive..that’s not that easy.
If I want to see flowers outside I do have to buy the plant or start from seed....you can’t just plant a flower with a stem...it will just die
Lisa... I was not mocking you for planting flowers. You keep missing this. Your mocking people for planting vegetables and food and see no issue with this despite the fact that you waste time planting flowers. Grow up. You literally run around here trying to piss on everyone constantly and it’s past the point of getting old.

Lisa

Superstar
Lisa... I was not mocking you for planting flowers. You keep missing this. Your mocking people for planting vegetables and food and see no issue with this despite the fact that you waste time planting flowers. Grow up. You literally run around here trying to piss on everyone constantly and it’s past the point of getting old.
No, I’m not mocking you for wanting to plant your own garden. What I’m saying is..will you want to put in the hard work when you could just go to the store and buy what you need? You are going off a supposition that the food chain will end.

Lisa

Superstar
As in took the classes and does the volunteer work?
Yep. Was president of his garden club and ran the county fair horticulture exhibits at one time. I used to make flower arrangements to show at the fair and have quite a collection of ribbons. He also got me to help out the judges as a volunteer. We used to work the show for 3 days straight..it ended up being a family tradition and a lot of fun.

Lisa

Superstar
I think she is preparing for the worst, hoping for the best and wants cleaner, healthier and better tasting food.
Is she ready for the hard work though? My husbands grandparents were farmers when it counted and was happy when he didn’t have to do that anymore.

justjess

Superstar
No, I’m not mocking you for wanting to plant your own garden. What I’m saying is..will you want to put in the hard work when you could just go to the store and buy what you need? You are going off a supposition that the food chain will end.
I started a garden here in April and have been doing it ever since. Not because the food chain ended but because I wanted to and I’m tired of paying $2 for a bell pepper that tastes like shit.

conservatives are funny... rant and rave about modern life but then mock people saying they want to go back to something simpler. I think your just the type of people who are never happy with anything tbh.

Maes17

Superstar
Everyone relies on grocery stores...even you right now.

I’m just saying it might be a waste of your time to get land...do the work someone else already does for you and the grocery stores continue to stay open.
This has to do with growing food why?
Maybe some people want to learn to cultivate. Live off their own land. The reliance on grocery stores isn’t set in stone way

Lisa

Superstar
I started a garden here in April and have been doing it ever since. Not because the food chain ended but because I wanted to and I’m tired of paying $2 for a bell pepper that tastes like shit.
Having acres of food to take care of is a bit different then just growing some peppers..

justjess

Superstar
Having acres of food to take care of is a bit different then just growing some peppers..
Having acres of food to take care of with 20 people and no outside employment. I planted a lot more then peppers this year and the only casualty was the eggplant.

Lisa

Superstar
This has to do with growing food why?
Maybe some people want to learn to cultivate. Live off their own land. The reliance on grocery stores isn’t set in stone way
Very true. I just think that buying enough land for everyone to not only grow their own good but also to can it..butcher your own chicken etc is harder than you think especially when you could just go to the store...

Maes17

Superstar
And yeah that is hard work. Like anything in life. You take those risk. At the end of the day you get two out comes it does or doesn’t happen.

I’d like to look into living off land eventually too. Not now. I think these are good skills to have