Random Thoughts

Lonk

Established
Got to have coffee with a friend I haven't seen in a while today. It really is tax season, isn't it? ;)

justjess

Superstar
So apparantly im majority italianpart greek part armenian and 2% ashkenazi jew.. how is that even possible? Thabk you ancestry dna for crushing my lifelong self image.

So apparantly im majority italianpart greek part armenian and 2% ashkenazi jew.. how is that even possible? Thabk you ancestry dna for crushing my lifelong self image.
Here's some information regarding DNA tests if you're interested, Jess. My younger sibling had somewhat the same reaction you did when the results came back from my mum's DNA test:

Myth 4: The results of ancestral DNA tests are 99.9 percent accurate, just like the DNA tests on CSI.

Genetic genealogy isn't an exact science—it involves quite a bit of interpretation. Although your DNA doesn't lie, scientists use it to calculate the probability that you and another researcher are related or that you have African roots, based on genetic patterns they've observed in populations. This means that genetic genealogy can suggest, but not prove, a relationship.

Biogeographical test results in particular must be taken with a grain of salt, because scientists haven’t agreed upon definitions of genetic ethnicity. What makes interpreting results from biogeographical tests even trickier is that these tests rely on autosomal DNA, a mixed bag of genetic information inherited from both mothers and fathers. A test may suggest that you have some American Indian ancestry, but you won’t know whether it comes from your mother’s side or your father’s side unless both of your parents get tested as well. Nor will you know how long ago your American Indian ancestor (or ancestors) lived. (source)

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
Here's some information regarding DNA tests if you're interested, Jess. My younger sibling had the somewhat the same reaction you did when the results came back from my mum's DNA test:

Myth 4: The results of ancestral DNA tests are 99.9 percent accurate, just like the DNA tests on CSI.

Genetic genealogy isn't an exact science—it involves quite a bit of interpretation. Although your DNA doesn't lie, scientists use it to calculate the probability that you and another researcher are related or that you have African roots, based on genetic patterns they've observed in populations. This means that genetic genealogy can suggest, but not prove, a relationship.

Biogeographical test results in particular must be taken with a grain of salt, because scientists haven’t agreed upon definitions of genetic ethnicity. What makes interpreting results from biogeographical tests even trickier is that these tests rely on autosomal DNA, a mixed bag of genetic information inherited from both mothers and fathers. A test may suggest that you have some American Indian ancestry, but you won’t know whether it comes from your mother’s side or your father’s side unless both of your parents get tested as well. Nor will you know how long ago your American Indian ancestor (or ancestors) lived. (source)
My grandma on my mothers side was adopted so we always knew there was a piece we werent sure of but we were under the impression she was austrian or very slim possibility polish which didnt come up at all, my moms dad was from sicily which isnt surprising to be a mixed bag based on how many times it was invaded but the greek and ashkenazi shocked me tbh. I think im also 2% african according to what im told of my brothers results. Go figure.

My cousin on my fathers side got 100% italian so most likely all this other stuff is coming from my moms side.

yiksmes

Established
Had fun with friends this weekend, ate good salad (caprese) some nice black tea with thyme, on the way to the smoking balcony met a crazy drunken Israeli woman who asked my muslim friend where can she get some drugs. In which my friend got offended and asked if he looks like a drug dealer? - To which she replied: I'm from Israel! It's easy to get drugs there everywhere.
I just couldn't miss the opportunity to troll and also stick up for my friend and i said: Yeah thats true! The holy land:D

Lonk

Established
That big gaming convention thingy is coming up in 2 or 3 months and I will probably cry if a new, full-fledged Animal Crossing game for the Switch is announced. The fact Nintendo is redesigning the Animal Crossing sections of their site gives me so much hope. And I hope it comes out this year! And is even better than New Leaf. Oh please please please, Nintendo!! Let us design our own town layouts in depth! (T_T) /\

polymoog

Superstar
My grandma on my mothers side was adopted so we always knew there was a piece we werent sure of but we were under the impression she was austrian or very slim possibility polish which didnt come up at all, my moms dad was from sicily which isnt surprising to be a mixed bag based on how many times it was invaded but the greek and ashkenazi shocked me tbh. I think im also 2% african according to what im told of my brothers results. Go figure.

My cousin on my fathers side got 100% italian so most likely all this other stuff is coming from my moms side.

the african blood in you really shouldnt be a surprise. the sicilians were closely interactive with the cities in north africa for thousands of years. ive also heard (im not claiming this as fact, but it could be) that people with the curly hair gene have some degree of african DNA in them.

as fun as these DNA test results are, i dont like the fact that the company keeps a record of it in their database. if there was a DNA home test, id be interested in that.