Ramadan - How Do You Repair Your Relationship With God?

Haich

Superstar
Salaam All!

With Ramadan fast approaching, I'd like to open a discussion on how everyone prepares for this lovely month. Do you guys do a plan where you try and read the Quran daily? Do you have meal plans? How does where you live affect your fast (weather, time of breaking fast etc.)

Also most importantly, how do you repair your relationship with God? We're so preoccupied with work and our families I guess Ramadan is a time to try and remember your blessings and display gratitude to your creator.

I have a small family so meals are relatively straightforward but I do like to plan meals so I'm not scoffing carbs and feeling bloated all month! We try to eat baked samosas, spring rolls and stews. The occasional lamb and rice feast is essential though ;) I juice a lot too and since it's summer here we make smoothies and iced tea too (I don't drink soft drinks anymore!)

In terms of rekindling my spirituality I tend to go through tafsirs of the Quran by either Tawfique Choudary or Nouman Ali Khan. I love the way their explain and simplify Quranic concepts. I like watch the story of the prophet (pbuh) too there was a great series on MBC which should be on YouTube called the Umar Series. It's a great story telling us the happenings of the Quraish and companions so I'd definitely recommend it. It has English subtitles!

Kung Fu

Superstar
I have an audio version of the Quran and listen to it every time I'm in the car, which is usually a lot. I do this during the whole year but I make a conscious effort to really listen to the little details.

My meal plans are very strict. The only problem I have during Ramadan is I lose a lot of weight but I usually gain it all back a month after Ramadan has concluded. I simply can't eat enough to maintain my bodyweight because of how much I lose my appetite. Also, the point of Ramadan is to be hungry so I never really engorge myself during iftar.

During Ramadan I try to make more dua lol. We're supposed to be greedy with our duas so I make as much dua as possible, which in itself is worship of the Most High because it signifies how much we need Him.

Last edited:

Serendipity

Established
I like the atmosphere around the country during Ramadan. People are generally more generous and charitable. Last Ramadan, there was this roundabout that I used to pass by everyday, and everyday there would be people giving free meals to the laborers and construction workers.
The working hours are shorter, family/friends gatherings almost everyday and its just a break from the daily routine from the previous eleven months.

The only thing I am worried about is the weather. It is extremely hot during the summer and I struggled last Ramadan with not drinking water. I hope it would be easier this time around. Also, with work and gatherings, I am not really sure how I would manage to finish the Quran but I might steal KF's idea and listen to it while I am driving to/from work.

Time passes by really fast, I remember last Ramadan like it was yesterday.

Haich

Superstar
Yh probably completing the entire Quran for me would be quite ambitious lol I have a lot of daily responsibilities and would struggle to find the energy and time but I'll do my best to read as much as I can

There's something so warm about sitting with a copy of the Quran and just reciting it in Arabic. I'm not a native speaker so I usually have a tafsir handy but nonetheless it really calms and I just forget about life's turbulent nature.

I do find that I need to incorporate more God time in everyday life. After a busy day I tend to just go straight to bed and im hoping Ramadan will awaken my motivation to give charity and watch an inspiring Islamic reminder on YouTube

But it's going to summer here so the thirst and breaking fasts at like 9.30pm won't be easy!

Ramadan - How Do You Repair Your Relationship With God?
With alot of dua and adhkar...seeking His forgiveness and begging for His Mercy. Pondering on His Noble Words... and the best part of Ramadhan to me - Taraweeh especially in last ten nights hoping to get the rewards of Qiyaam in Laylatul-Qadr. This advice from Shaykh Uthaymeen is timeless and heart softening ...

As-salamu alaikum!
This week we will start fasting the month of Ramadan Insha'Allah, I ask Allah to make us sincere for Him and to grant us the rewards. I'll be taking a break from here but would like to leave you with this reminder. Insha'Allah you are all familiar with Surah Al Ghashiyah - it is sunnah to recite it in fajr prayer and salatul jumah. I'm posting verses 17 - 21 with their tafsir for us to ponder and keep in mind when we are giving dawah here and elsewhere. When I was learning this surah many years ago as a new Muslimah, a sister explained to me that these verses describe the Daa'i: They are gentle and soft, content with little (like the camel), elevated with high morals and the best religion (like the sky), firmly grounded in their beliefs (like the mountains), and easy and approachable (like the spread out earth). God knows best. Enjoy your Ramadan and Eid, may Allah bless us all with His Mercy and Forgiveness and Bounties, Amin.

17) Do they not look at the camels, how they are created?

The subject now changes and Allah (swt) mentions the camel which the disbelievers brought up sarcastically. There are many words for camel in Arabic and perhaps the most general word for camel is Ibl. Allah (swt) asks in the passive tense have they not looked closely at the camel and considered how it was created. Allah (swt) does not expect the disbelievers to praise him or give Him credit for this creation but as they brought it up themselves Allah (swt) therefore asks them about it. In desert life a camel played a huge part in the survival of man. It is custom designed for life in the desert and out of all domesticated animals even a child can control one even though it can be crushed by its size. It can survive on very little water for days on end and can feed itself off shrubs which other animals cannot survive off. It is loyal to the human being and even when tired it continues to do its work. In addition to this it has incredible high seating which can be comfortable to sit on top of. It stores its own food (through the storage of fat in its hump) and has milk when there is no other liquid available elsewhere. Its meat can be eaten and when it becomes old and dies, its skin also benefits and can be used for clothing.

Allah (swt) is asking them to consider all the benefits of the camel and how every aspect of its creation fits in with the environment it is in. Its creation was precisely calculated and guided to its purpose. It is narrated that the Prophet (saw) said: The believers are gentle and soft like the obedient camel. If he is driven, he obeys and if he is ordered to sit on a scorching rock, he sits thereon (Tirmidhi: 5086). We have to learn from this massive creature. It is so huge and powerful but when his master tells him to sit down, he sits lowering and humbling himself from a great height, even if he has been told to sit on harsh rocks. This is how the believer should be with Allah (swt). Man should obey Allah (swt) even though Allah (swt) has given him the power to do many things and even if there is pain involved. Through the creation of the camel Allah (swt) has shown us His favours and has also shown us true obedience. Reflection on this gift that Allah (swt) has given should be enough for one to become a humble slave because Allah (swt) shows us what loyal and slavery mean by means of the camel and by the perfection of its creation.

18) And at the sky, how it is raised?
There have been numerous surahs with incredible discourse on how the sky will come crashing down eventually. So Allah (swt) says reflect on the camel as you sit on it and look up at the sky and think how it is there and how it will be destroyed.

19) And at the mountains, how they are rooted (and fixed firm)?

Imagine sitting on a camel with a desert landscape looking first up at the sky and then around you. It is likely that you may see mountains in the distance. Nusiba means to be pegged into the ground and also means to be outward and apparent. The word therefore has a double meaning of being pegged in as well as being outward due to the mountains being in and out of the ground. Nasiba also means something that is wobbly and wavering. Thus, the mountains are firm now but they will eventually move on the Day of Judgment. The rigidity of the mountains and its ultimate wavering destruction has all been captured in this verse.

20) And at the earth, how it is spread out?

After looking up and ahead the earth is found below. Sataha means to spread something out and to smoothen it. The whole purpose of this surah is to remind people of the Ghashiyah (the ultimate covering) and where they are headed. The word sath is used for the sealing of a house by its roof but how is the earth similar to a roof? This is because ultimately one day the earth will be like a roof for all of us in our graves. Our graves will be dug and then the earth will be spread out over it and made smooth.

21) So remind, (O Muhammad); for you are only a reminder
Allah (swt) in the previous surah instructed the messenger (saw) to remind if the reminder serves to have any benefit and here He (swt) gives a tafseer of this. Notice that no object has been mentioned here, so whether anyone listens or not, the instruction is just to remind without any worry as to whether it has an effect on them or not. After all, Abu Sufyan became Muslim only after being warned for many years. Also, the magicians of Pharaoh became Muslims only when they saw the miracle of Moses’s stick despite hearing the message many times over. Allah (swt) says that the messenger (saw) is nothing but the deliverer of a reminder which summarises the whole career of the messenger (saw). The work of dawah boils down to the work of reminding people. Reminding them of the past failures of human beings and of nations that were destroyed. Of what Allah (swt) has told them of the future and of Judgement Day. Of the covenant they have made with Allah (swt) and of their inner conscience that tells them what is wrong and what is right and of the consequences of their actions.

In Sha Allahu Ta'ala, i will try to set it as a standard for other months that are to follow.

Maybe maintain Wudhu at all times, In Sha Allah.

And also remain constant in offering 2x2 Rakaahs of Nafil Salaat Tawbah and Nafil Salaat Shukr after Esha everyday. Aameen.

Salaam All!

With Ramadan fast approaching, I'd like to open a discussion on how everyone prepares for this lovely month. Do you guys do a plan where you try and read the Quran daily? Do you have meal plans? How does where you live affect your fast (weather, time of breaking fast etc.)

Also most importantly, how do you repair your relationship with God? We're so preoccupied with work and our families I guess Ramadan is a time to try and remember your blessings and display gratitude to your creator.

I have a small family so meals are relatively straightforward but I do like to plan meals so I'm not scoffing carbs and feeling bloated all month! We try to eat baked samosas, spring rolls and stews. The occasional lamb and rice feast is essential though ;) I juice a lot too and since it's summer here we make smoothies and iced tea too (I don't drink soft drinks anymore!)

In terms of rekindling my spirituality I tend to go through tafsirs of the Quran by either Tawfique Choudary or Nouman Ali Khan. I love the way their explain and simplify Quranic concepts. I like watch the story of the prophet (pbuh) too there was a great series on MBC which should be on YouTube called the Umar Series. It's a great story telling us the happenings of the Quraish and companions so I'd definitely recommend it. It has English subtitles!
Salaam All!

Gosh I've been craving for samosas lately.

DesertRose

Superstar
O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so

that you may guard (against evil).

(Fasting is) for a fixed number of days; and if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed

number (Should be made up) from days later, and for those (who miss the fast for illness or travel) who are able to do it, is a ransom of

feeding one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will, it is better for him.

And it is better for you that you fast, if you only knew.

The month of Ramadhan in which was revealed the Qur'an, guidance for mankind, and clear

proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present,

let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same)

number of other days. Allah desires ease for you; He does not desire hardship for you; and (He

desires) that you should complete the period, and that you should magnify Allah for having guided

you, and that peradventure you may be thankful.

Qur'an (2:183-185)

General
  • Fasting was prescribed for us to gain God consciousness.
  • Fast the month of ramadhan, you know its beginning and end by the moon phase where you are (e.g., see 2:189 and 6:96).
  • Fasting is for the 30 days of the month of ramadhan, these are the fixed days.
Purpose
  • Allah desires ease for us and not hardship, so this can be kept in mind. Fasting is not supposed to be a damaging experience.
  • We should complete the period of fasting and glorify Allah. It is better to fast so always make the effort and do not look to try and avoid it without good cause(s).
Exception(s)
  • If you are on a journey or you are sick then you can make up any missed days later.
◦ Further to this, if you are able or can afford it, is the feeding of a poor person (and more if you can). This act is a ransom to be paid, if you can, for missing days in ramadhan, even if you make the days up at a later point.

DesertRose

Superstar

He couldn’t stop crying at iftār time
Posted by: Abul Baraa in Articles, Comment, Latest Islamic, Ramadan, Seasonal Reminders 3 days ago 8 Comments

It’s the 30th day of Ramadān. I’m sitting in the Holy Masjid in Makkah with my iftār in front of me, waiting for the adhān to be called so I can break my fast and complete a month of trying to worship Allāh and trying to seek His pleasure. I look around, and everyone is all smiles and full of happiness as the month is drawing to completion, but then I notice someone making du’ā, and as the minutes are passing, and it is getting closer and closer to Maghrib, his du’ā seems to get more intense, and his breath is getting much heavier. Then, the mu’adhin calls the adhān for Maghrib to announce the end of the month of Ramadān and the entering of the night of ‘Īd.

At this moment, you would expect this person to put his hands down and begin to break his fast. Instead however, he burst out crying. When I say crying, I don’t just mean tears rolling down his cheeks; I mean crying uncontrollably, as if he has just lost a very dear relative. He then forced a date in his mouth while trying to stop crying. I assume he did so because he knew it was from the Sunnah to hasten in breaking the fast, so he only ate it to try to stick to the Sunnah, as it was clear he really did not want to eat it.

Pondering over this person will lead us to the cause of his uncontrollable crying. He was crying because he did in fact lose a very dear friend, and this friend was Ramadān. The month of mercy was over. The month of forgiveness was gone. The month of being freed from the hellfire had ended. The shayāṭīn were now released from their shackles to spread evil in the lands. The chance to be among the hordes freed from hellfire had passed. The chance to witness Laylatul-Qadr had passed and no one was sure if their actions were accepted.

If we really understood Ramadān, why wouldn’t we cry when it finishes? How can we not be sad after it finishes when all of the blessings that were available in Ramadān will not return until another year? If even one of the blessings of Ramadān left us, then that is sufficient to make us cry from sadness. Have we ever contemplated on whether we have been forgiven because of Ramadān, or destroyed? We all know the hadīth of the Prophet (SallaAllāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) when he stepped on the pulpit and said “Āmīn” three times, then he clarified to the people the reasons why he said “Āmīn”, which was due to Jibrīl making three du’ās, and one of these du’ās were “May his nose be rubbed in the dirt, whoever witnesses Ramadān but is not forgiven.” [1]

My brothers and sisters, it is a win or lose situation, and there is no third category in this. You are either forgiven in Ramadān, or are from the ones who Jibrīl and the Prophet (SallaAllāhu ‘alayhi wasallam) made du’ā against. It is due to this fact that we need to be more prepared in how we approach this Ramadān, and need to ensure we do not waste a single moment of it. It is why we see many people crying at the end of Ramadān as they are never sure whether what they did has been accepted or not, and whether they have been forgiven or not.

Do we really perceive Ramadān as we should? Do we really make the most out of it? Imagine if we were told that a beloved guest will come and visit us once every year, and every time this guest comes, he brings with him presents for us, some to use while he is visiting us, and many to keep afterwards. How will our anticipation for his arrival be? How will our hospitality for this guest be? How much attention will we give this guest? How will we act in his presence? How much will our use of his presents be, knowing that some of them he will take back with him? How sad will we be when his visit comes to a close? How sad will we be when he actually leaves?

This guest is indeed the holy month of Ramadān, and it comes with many blessings which will not be available at any other time. When Ramadān leaves, we are never sure if we will be in this life when it comes back again, so we need to make the most out of it while we are in this life and while it is here. I want you to go back and read the paragraph above, imagining that this guest is a real human, and imagine how your reaction to his visit will be.

Now, I want you to ask yourself, did you treat Ramadān last year like you would have treated this guest? Did you prepare yourself for its arrival by repenting and cleansing yourself from the evil traits you carry? Were your actions in Ramadān the actions of a respectful and pious person, or were you swearing, wasting time, mocking others and doing other bad actions? Did you make use of the blessings of Ramadān—the locking up of the shayāṭīn, the rewards of praying all night by praying tarāwīh, Laylatul-Qadr? Did you feel sad when Ramadān finished?

My brothers and sisters, this is the reality of Ramadān. If we really look at ourselves, we will only come to the conclusion that we are heedless of tying to maximise our potential for this blessed month every year. We are very neglectful of its blessings and we rarely make use of them, yet they only come once a year. My brothers and sisters, Ramadān has just begun and before we know it, it will be drawing to a close, so let us make use of its blessings while they are still here. Let us make sure that we plan ahead from now, and ensure that the good you did last Ramadān does not even compare to the good you do this Ramadān.

Source: www.islam21c.com

Last edited: