RAMADAN Join Us On this Journey

vigilante71

Established
Hi Serv. welcome. I have been on the lesser pilgrinage (umrah) and unfortunately am waiting to go on the Hajj! The umrah was awe inspiring and deeply moving for myself and for some reason I was insistent on taking my mother with me. It was as if my soul was insistent on it. We had booked our tickets and my mum said she could go and arranged it with her place of work. We got back to the travel agent and he was unable to find her the same booking. I remember distinctly feeling sad whilst standing in the kitchen. Then I went on Saudia and booked the same airlines by myself for her. Being with her and the fam was such moving experience!
Thank you for that American hajji story!
I hope that the Creator opens a way for me to go on Hajj.inshaAllah!
I've performed Umrah too, and that was indeed a stunning and incredible experience. It was actually the last travel I had experienced with my father, before he passed away and those memories are very precious to me. I'd love to experience Hajj on its especial month, but I don't think I can go to Saudi Arabia anytime soon, because of its increasingly darkening relations with my country :(

Bacsi

Star
It's not my place to judge every single Muslim motivation for participating in Ramadan. From my pov they are doing something positive so i sad good luck, thats all. Go and tell them that they are wrong about everything. Im sure they will appreciate your input and insights :)
I've asked a simple question and you dance around avoiding it.

Serveto

Star
If a person has sense, they don't need abstaining from food or whatever to make the right choices. Then it's up to them to think for themselves and act wisely. If they don't have such quality to start with, external asceticism won't help them. They might turn into thoughtless machines who follow other people's (or a book's) commands. It's 1000 more dangerous than hedonism.

BTW, in my faith eating brings you closer to God, not hunger. It's a very mistaken idea and what people get is not spirituality, but disaccord with the true God.
I posed it as a question to you, but I will declare in the affirmative that, for me, intent is a factor in these discussions, as well as in all spiritual "exercises." With that said, I will probably be the last among us to force anybody to do anything, good or ill, and I have walked through the Haight-Ashbury district when, because I was too young when they were there, it had been abandoned by the hippies, who flocked there as a sort of American site of pilgrimage, and the only unfortunates who remained were the heroin addicts who couldn't afford to get out of town. It was a cultural and spiritual wasteland, and, to me, a testament to the inherent dangers in some kinds of absolute hedonism, but that might have been largely a private observation, for me to both learn and apply, in the great classroom of life.

DesertRose

Superstar
Go and tell them that they are wrong about everything. Im sure they will appreciate your input and insights :)
lol Vytas I was wondering about whom you were conversing with.
Then I realized I had to undo the ignored content.
I need my morning caffiene!.
I hope that the usual naysayers will allow us a few threads were we share without the usual bickering.
Either way I will ignore their content.

vigilante71

Established
It's good to to good stuff. It's just you don't have to stop eating for that. How about 11 months of the year? Free for all?
Yes It's about serving God, which also have benefits. I understand what you're saying but It's some sort of practice for the rest of the year. You can fast on any day, except the days that fasting is not encouraged on, and enjoy the benefits. But from what I've understood so far, there must be some sort of incentive before you start fasting and that's where the obligatory part comes in.

DesertRose

Superstar
Sorry, should have known better than to swallow bait :)
Nope, thank you for your help.
Generally the older forum members even the ones we disagree with are respectful of threads.
However, you already know that.:)(Edit: you are one of the more agreeable older members)

Last edited:

Bacsi

Star
Sorry, should have known better than to swallow bait :)
Straight and honest question without any games. And you go into making fun or accusations. Religion doesn't stand to scrutiny.

Bacsi

Star
I posed it as a question to you, but I will declare in the affirmative that, for me, intent is a factor in these discussions, as well as in all spiritual "exercises." With that said, I will probably be the last among us to force anybody to do anything, good or ill, and I have walked through the Haight-Ashbury district when, because I was too young when they were there, it had been abandoned by the hippies, who flocked there as a sort of American site of pilgrimage, and the only unfortunates who remained were the heroin addicts who couldn't afford to get out of town. It was a cultural and spiritual wasteland, and, to me, a testament to the inherent dangers in some kinds of absolute hedonism, but that might have been largely a private observation, for me to both learn and apply, in the great classroom of life.
I see. Well, intent or not intent, it's thoughts, words and actions that matter. What's bad is bad, whether a religion allows or forbids it, what's good is good whether a code makes it mandatory or not. The end result matters, not so much the intent. Though the intent may clear you of all or a portion of responsibility in the human society, the result is unchangeable.

You show two extremes, and extremes are never good. Our life is about balance. Extremes make life disappear.

You know, again, I will stress human own understanding and wisdom. Self-destruction is pointless. But the answer is not religion. Even if it pushes you to improve or to be more sensible. It's like an ex-convict saying, "oh in my 20 years in prison I got three degrees and trained my muscles in the gym", horray the state prison system? How about not committing crimes and not getting in that prison in the fist place? There's people achieving same and thousand times more being free.

It's all about freedom and understanding this life and responsibility and your own decisions. It's like being an adult or being a kid (religion).

Bacsi

Star
I'm trying to fast today... =)) - few hours left i hope =) - don't do this often =)
Don't fast! It's bad for your body and your soul. It's better to eat, and keep your thoughts, words and acts pure and selfless. Food or no food does not effect anything spiritually. It's a mistake.

Serveto

Star
I see. Well, intent or not intent, it's thoughts, words and actions that matter. What's bad is bad, whether a religion allows or forbids it, what's good is good whether a code makes it mandatory or not. The end result matters, not so much the intent. Though the intent may clear you of all or a portion of responsibility in the human society, the result is unchangeable.

You show two extremes, and extremes are never good. Our life is about balance. Extremes make life disappear.

You know, again, I will stress human own understanding and wisdom. Self-destruction is pointless. But the answer is not religion. Even if it pushes you to improve or to be more sensible. It's like an ex-convict saying, "oh in my 20 years in prison I got three degrees and trained my muscles in the gym", horray the state prison system? How about not committing crimes and not getting in that prison in the fist place? There's people achieving same and thousand times more being free.

It's all about freedom and understanding this life and responsibility and your own decisions. It's like being an adult or being a kid (religion).
As I see it, intent is correlated to thought, word and action. Anyway, it's true that we are talking two extremes, and, religion or not, I think it is essentially a human proverb, a sort of verity, expressed by sages, that the best road is moderation in all things. I leave the thread now, but mainly wanted to tell the story about Hi Jolly. I think it's amusing. Thank you for the discussion. I hope we are able to interact in other threads.

manama

Star
I wanted to spend this Ramadan in KSA and perform Umrah again but i got exams during the month, i hope I can go to Eid atleast. Eid isn't the same after moving out of Saudi Arabia

manama

Star
Don't fast! It's bad for your body and your soul. It's better to eat, and keep your thoughts, words and acts pure and selfless. Food or no food does not effect anything spiritually. It's a mistake.
I'm not a doctor "yet" but even I can tell you that Fasting is extremelyyyyy beneficial for health ESPECIALLY the way Muslims do it. Even tho you are probably here for trolling, but you should take up on the advice. A healthy body is a healthy brain and less trolling and more facts : )

Bacsi

Star
As I see it, intent is correlated to thought, word and action. Anyway, it's true that we are talking two extremes, and, religion or not, I think it is essentially a human proverb, a sort of verity, expressed by sages, that the best road is moderation in all things. I leave the thread now, but mainly wanted to tell the story about Hi Jolly. I think it's amusing. Thank you for the discussion. I hope we are able to interact in other threads.
I never heard about that district in San Francisco! Interesting to learn about such cultural history. Yes, not so nice to experiment with hedonism. But at least we've learned a valuable lesson from those people.