Rachel Stephens' on False Prophets

Dalit

Star
I don't agree with everything she says, but she cracks me up. She was overreaching though with what she thinks Ham's sin was (different video, but one that got a ton of views). And every false prophet does have a 3 hour show. :)

Dalit

Star
So what she thinks Ham sin was ? @KingOfTheRock @Dalit .Ham slept with his mother or something else ?
She thinks Ham slept with his mom and that was "uncovering his father's nakedness". I disagree and think that's reading too much into the text. Isn't it best to start with the plain and simple meaning of the text? I think that's called peshat, but don't have my notes for those categories and still learning. I believe in keeping it simple though even though I'd like to know more Hebrew and all to pick up the nuances in the text that I know I miss with my more Greek way of thinking.

Sorry to harp on the whole "still processing my time in NAR" even 18 months later. It was 11 years in the making though and saw how it came about through being raised on Word of Faith (WOF) and spotty church attendance, mostly between Presbyterian and Baptist churches with WOF mixed in. Got seriously depressed as a teen thinking I must have a lot of hidden sin for God not to heal me immediately, yet couldn't see I was treating God as my servant and not really being His servant. And I was technically healed a week later, but stayed in a "dark night of the soul" for months without really questioning the teaching that I'd learned, thinking it was all my fault and it worked for others and not me. Not sure it's my job to call out this stuff, but yet I do when I see there are ears to hear it.

Vytas

Star
You know Greek ??? And you not satisfied ? Who needs Hebrew when you know Greek !
I think it's quite possible thats what Ham did :)
It's everyones job, especially in our days when fake teachers prophets and other "authorities" are rising like mushrooms after rain...But there must be some genuine as per bible (not in this case off course).
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Dalit

Star
You know Greek ??? And you not satisfied ? Who needs Hebrew when you know Greek !
I think it's quite possible thats what Ham did :)
It's everyones job, especially in our days when fake teachers prophets and other "authorities" are rising like mushrooms after rain...But there must be some genuine as per bible (not in this case off course).
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
I agree, and just know a little Greek from what I picked up in Precept. I'm not a true scholar in either yet do love to delve into words and the meanings of words.

Yes, and I long to see more real and less counterfeit with the prophetic. Maybe I should email Rachel and see if she'd take on more like Brian and Candice Simmons. Something they said that was read in my congregation just rubbed me the wrong way so I researched it. It went all the way to the Talmud! It was purposeful obfuscation like the average person wouldn't get it, only those "in the know". I understand what it means after about 3 days of researching. Taking this "testing the spirits" and "testing prophecy" very seriously since for years I didn't take it seriously enough if at all.

I do still like Steve Cioccolanti even though I don't agree with everything he says. It's hard to find anyone I could agree with 100% and am sure it's the same for others with me. I was a little sad she pointed him out, yet do agree with testing everything as much as it's possible.

Yet even in the questionable prophetic there can still be truth, to muddy the waters even more.

When I left the NAR, even though I was still really in it in a lot of my thinking, but had left the crazy home church (and now have a fear of home churches), I went to an all night prayer thing and had a lady prophesy over me and it was enough to make me almost ugly cry because it was so good. She said "you are not in rebellion" and those were just the words I needed to hear. Later on, I've avoided such ministries because they do seem more touchy-feely, emotionalism driven over Word, yet I know they have sincere hearts that long for more of God. Maybe I'll go back to that place in the future, but it's a different season for me now.

Love this: Mushrooms after the rain. "It's everyone's job, especially in our days when fake teachers prophets and other "authorities" are rising like mushrooms after rain...But there must be some genuine as per bible (not in this case off course)." Don't eat shrooms. :)

Vytas

Star
And who do you think that lady was ?

Lol even when i did drugs i never tried hallucinogens. I believe i know 2 prophets, but sure there are more, nothing strange about that.
Thats a strange thing to be afraid of. Mine experiences while not that bad weren't successful either. Finding community/church requires some real dedication and prayer...

Dalit

Star
And who do you think that lady was ?

Lol even when i did drugs i never tried hallucinogens. I believe i know 2 prophets, but sure there are more, nothing strange about that.
Thats a strange thing to be afraid of. Mine experiences while not that bad weren't successful either. Finding community/church requires some real dedication and prayer...
That it so does, finding community/church. It takes awhile, too.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said I was afraid of home churches because I did try another one about 6 months later, but it was not for me for other reasons. It had structure and accountability, which I very much liked. It was a good place, yet I felt I could grow more where I am now. The destructive one, the NAR one, really had little structure and accountability. Not much oversight if any.

The lady who told me that I was not in rebellion was such a blessing. Getting out of NAR had messed with my mind enough to where I wondered if I was in the wrong and was sad to leave all my "friends" who were not really friends. Later on, I reconnected with others who had been there, saw the same and worse than I ever saw there, and who could help me realize it was truly a destructive environment. The lady definitely has prophetic gifting.

Todd

Star
Finding community/church requires some real dedication and prayer...
So true. The last month my wife and I heard about a church not too far from us and decided to check it out. After the first week we learned it was a church from Dr Rodney Howard Browne’s network. We used to know a couple of itinerant “prophets” from his camp years ago, so we already know the “pros” and “ cons” of the ministry. Turns out the church was without a “pastor” and Rodney Howard Browne was sending people up from Tampa to help out during transition.

We liked the couple that was there the first week, but the next week they announced they would be leaving and someone else from Tampa was coming. The next week the new guy was there and it was really bad. 1/2 hour pounding about “the tithe” before the offering. Then anothe 1.5 hours preaching with very little scripture and then the altar call. Pushing people over while praying (to make it look like they were “slain In the spirit”) and then what really pissed me off. There was a sweet innocent lady who asked for prayer for her back pain. After praying the minister asked her to name something she couldn’t do and she said pick up and hold her 4 year old daughter. So the minister told her to pick up her daughter. She reluctantly did and it was obvious she was in pain. But the minister pushed her and tried to claim she was doing it by faith. He even physically stopped her from setting the child back down briefly though the poor lady was in tears. It wasn’t emotional tears but tears from physical pain.

I believe God responds to faith, but manipulating people and situations to claim God is moving really pisses me off. Needless to say we won’t be going back. I was seriously disappointed as there seemed to be a couple really nice and genuine people there. However they did not seem to have the same problem with this new guy that I did. They seemed happy and excited he was there. I don’t get it....

Dalit

Star
So true. The last month my wife and I heard about a church not too far from us and decided to check it out. After the first week we learned it was a church from Dr Rodney Howard Browne’s network. We used to know a couple of itinerant “prophets” from his camp years ago, so we already know the “pros” and “ cons” of the ministry. Turns out the church was without a “pastor” and Rodney Howard Browne was sending people up from Tampa to help out during transition.

We liked the couple that was there the first week, but the next week they announced they would be leaving and someone else from Tampa was coming. The next week the new guy was there and it was really bad. 1/2 hour pounding about “the tithe” before the offering. Then anothe 1.5 hours preaching with very little scripture and then the altar call. Pushing people over while praying (to make it look like they were “slain In the spirit”) and then what really pissed me off. There was a sweet innocent lady who asked for prayer for her back pain. After praying the minister asked her to name something she couldn’t do and she said pick up and hold her 4 year old daughter. So the minister told her to pick up her daughter. She reluctantly did and it was obvious she was in pain. But the minister pushed her and tried to claim she was doing it by faith. He even physically stopped her from setting the child back down briefly though the poor lady was in tears. It wasn’t emotional tears but tears from physical pain.

I believe God responds to faith, but manipulating people and situations to claim God is moving really pisses me off. Needless to say we won’t be going back. I was seriously disappointed as there seemed to be a couple really nice and genuine people there. However they did not seem to have the same problem with this new guy that I did. They seemed happy and excited he was there. I don’t get it....
Wow, Todd, I'm so sorry to hear about this experience and hate that this is becoming so common. That poor woman! I hope this doesn't shipwreck her faith. I'm convinced this kind of stuff has turned my parents off to the faith or at least trying to find community.

I really respect what Brad Long of PRMI once said about stopping when the Holy Spirit is not moving and not manipulating things just because he felt he could. He was tempted to keep going, but had enough character and discernment to stop, not like a charlatan or not to manipulate so people would like him more. Could it have been a ego test as well? Not sure if it was the enemy tempting the manipulating minister you saw or if he was just a charlatan or was just totally in the wrong spirit to begin with, but so glad you have the discernment to see the truth and leave. It hurts to see others falling for this though.

Todd

Star
Wow, Todd, I'm so sorry to hear about this experience and hate that this is becoming so common. That poor woman! I hope this doesn't shipwreck her faith. I'm convinced this kind of stuff has turned my parents off to the faith or at least trying to find community.

I really respect what Brad Long of PRMI once said about stopping when the Holy Spirit is not moving and not manipulating things just because he felt he could. He was tempted to keep going, but had enough character and discernment to stop, not like a charlatan or not to manipulate so people would like him more. Could it have been a ego test as well? Not sure if it was the enemy tempting the manipulating minister you saw or if he was just a charlatan or was just totally in the wrong spirit to begin with, but so glad you have the discernment to see the truth and leave. It hurts to see others falling for this though.
It’s a common problem in lots of charismatic circles unfortunately. The scary thing is that most of them believe what they are doing is the ok. They confuse manufacturing the move of the spirit with “walking by faith and not by sight”. The longer and more often you do it the more callous you become to recognizing when you’ve crossed the line.

A long time ago I got a revelatation that atmosphere is conducive to bringing out expectation and faith in people which in turn allows the power of God to manifest.

Unfortunately many churches became so good at using their talents to create an atmosphere and began confusing that atmosphere with the actual anointing of God. The pressure of living up to the hype in some charismatic circles leads to the manufacturing (manipulation of people’s emotions)of “the anointing” and reliance on natural charisma and talents rather than waiting on God for the real thing!