R.I.P. RUSS DIZDAR

Bubbajay

Veteran
John MacArthur is not really a lordship salvationist. He is a Calvinist reformed preacher. He believes in perseverance of the saints and good works as a result of regeneration rather than works that derives from human effort. There is a difference.
MacArthur does preach a "repent of your sins salvation".

Lyfe

Star
MacArthur does preach a "repent of your sins salvation".
That is your interpretation of what he preaches, but I am sure MacArthur would disagree with the way you frame his views on salvation. People accuse Paul Washer of being a lordship preacher like most reformed ministers, but its not the same.

Do you view repenting of sins to be the same thing as turning from sins and the world to a life for God? The error may be in how you interpret things.

Lyfe

Star
Telling someone to repent of their sins could be construed as turning from their evil and rebellious ways. Its how you interpret it and I suppose wording would matter.

Do you believe the gospel requires people to turn from their evil and rebellious ways to be saved?

Bubbajay

Veteran
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

phipps

Star
@Bubbajay,

Repentance is sorrow for sin. It is being sorry for sins that have a hold of us in our lives. It is putting away those sins in our lives and as more sin is revealed to us through the Holy Spirit we confess and pray to God to forgive and put those sins away. We realise God loves us but abhors sin and paid a high price for it at calvary. Therefore as we grow in Christ we sin less and less.

We will/do slip up and there are many examples in the Bible where God's people do too. This is why John said, "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" (1 John 2:1). If we confess genuinely we will be forgiven. "Sin shall not have dominion over you" (Romans 6:14). For where sin once sat enthroned and unchallenged, Jesus now sits as Lord and King on the throne of our hearts.

We have to be willing to obey and willing to let Christ cleanse us of all sin. The Bible tells us we can be cleansed from all sin, not some sin. There are so many promises of being victorious in Christ and if we have faith and trust in Him we can be.

@Bubbajay,

Repentance is sorrow for sin. It is being sorry for sins that have a hold of us in our lives. It is putting away those sins in our lives and as more sin is revealed to us through the Holy Spirit we confess and pray to God to forgive and put those sins away. We realise God loves us but abhors sin and paid a high price for it at calvary. Therefore as we grow in Christ we sin less and less.

We will/do slip up and there are many examples in the Bible where God's people do too. This is why John said, "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" (1 John 2:1). If we confess genuinely we will be forgiven. "Sin shall not have dominion over you" (Romans 6:14). For where sin once sat enthroned and unchallenged, Jesus now sits as Lord and King on the throne of our hearts.

We have to be willing to obey and willing to let Christ cleanse us of all sin. The Bible tells us we can be cleansed from all sin, not some sin. There are so many promises of being victorious in Christ and if we have faith and trust in Him we can be.

We are victorious the moment we have faith in him.

phipps

Star
We are victorious the moment we have faith in him.
We are victorious but does the victory end there? We have to continue claiming victory all throughout our Christian journey on earth until Jesus comes back again for the second time. That will be the ultimate victory.

Christians mustn't think they don't have to do anything and they are saved no matter what because they professed Christ as their personal Saviour. The devil is always working hard and wants those Christians to fall and never get back up. The Bible tells us we have to finish the race.

Last edited:

Bubbajay

Veteran
@Bubbajay,

The bible is chocked full of examples where saved believers committed atrocious sins after salvation. What about David committing murder? Or Sauls continuous persecution of David, and eventual suicide? Solomon committed more sins later in life than he did while he was young. Samson committed suicide I believe. Were none of these men of God saved? They were given as an example that Gods grace "much more abounds" as Paul said. Its human nature to sin, its literally in our flesh.

Again biblical repentance is not "sorrow" its a change of mind or turning. An example would be a Muslim would have to repent and believe on Jesus Chriat, because Islam is a false religion. Its a change from unbelief to belief. While preaching hid Word in John Jesus nor any apostle mentions repent, and that's while preaching the gospel too.You're adding something that isn't there.

I won't post on this subject again. I'm just hoping over time people will believe the bible alone instead of any preconceived ideas or false preaching they've heard in the past.

Take care.

Lyfe

Star
There is initial repentance unto salvation and also sins we commit after getting saved that we need to confess and repent of. This is why the subject on repentance will always spark so much theological debate, but I feel scripture is always consistent on what it looks like.

Initial repentance unto salvation is turning from your old and rebellious ways into a life in God. It is going to God in surrender and renouncing a life of evil and ungodliness.

Bubbajay

Veteran
There is initial repentance unto salvation and also sins we commit after getting saved that we need to confess and repent of. This is why the subject on repentance will always spark so much theological debate, but I feel scripture is always consistent on what it looks like.

Initial repentance unto salvation is turning from your old and rebellious ways into a life in God. It is going to God in surrender and renouncing a life of evil and ungodliness.
No. The sacrifice of Christ was once for all. We are saved once we believe and are "sealed unto the day of redemption". As Paul said there is NOTHING that can separate a believer from the love of God, and that includes sin. When God looks at a believer he sees Christ, because the works of Christ were imputed onto us.

Lyfe

Star
No. The sacrifice of Christ was once for all. We are saved once we believe and are "sealed unto the day of redemption". As Paul said there is NOTHING that can separate a believer from the love of God, and that includes sin. When God looks at a believer he sees Christ, because the works of Christ were imputed onto us.
Are you saying that after we get saved and fall into sin we dont have to repent of that sin? Or are you saying that its only possible to repent once and thats when a person gets saved?

Bubbajay

Veteran

Are you saying that after we get saved and fall into sin we dont have to repent of that sin? Or are you saying that its only possible to repent once and thats when a person gets saved?
Hebrews says that God chastens those he loves. If a believer falls into sin he will be punished in this world, and not the next. You cannot lose your salvation. If a Christian falls into major sin he will be punished like Saul, Solomon, and many others were. Even leading to a premature death. Never will a believer suffer the pains of hell. If even one believer enters hell, then that would make God a liar, and we know that isn't the case.

Lyfe

Star
Hebrews says that God chastens those he loves. If a believer falls into sin he will be punished in this world, and not the next. You cannot lose your salvation. If a Christian falls into major sin he will be punished like Saul, Solomon, and many others were. Even leading to a premature death. Never will a believer suffer the pains of hell. If even one believer enters hell, then that would make God a liar, and we know that isn't the case.
I never said that a truly born again Christian can lose their salvation. Im drawing the conclusion that you believe there is only one repentance and thats when someone first gets saved.

I think its possible to have the spirit of God and be so far in sin that it is still appropriate that they need to repent. It was the churches that Jesus told to "repent" in revelation.

phipps

Star
The bible is chocked full of examples where saved believers committed atrocious sins after salvation. What about David committing murder? Or Sauls continuous persecution of David, and eventual suicide? Solomon committed more sins later in life than he did while he was young. Samson committed suicide I believe. Were none of these men of God saved? They were given as an example that Gods grace "much more abounds" as Paul said. Its human nature to sin, its literally in our flesh.

Again biblical repentance is not "sorrow" its a change of mind or turning. An example would be a Muslim would have to repent and believe on Jesus Chriat, because Islam is a false religion. Its a change from unbelief to belief. While preaching hid Word in John Jesus nor any apostle mentions repent, and that's while preaching the gospel too.You're adding something that isn't there.

I won't post on this subject again. I'm just hoping over time people will believe the bible alone instead of any preconceived ideas or false preaching they've heard in the past.

Take care.
You still don't understand what I posted that much is clear. Yes those men committed sins after salvation that is why I posted that after repentance we will and do slip. David repented of his sins. One of my favourite passages in the Bible is psalm 51 which is David's repentance. He repented and confessed his sin and God forgave him but he was also punished. He lost three sons and the respect of his people for what he did. The book of Ecclesiastes is Solomon repenting and realising nothing is important except God.

Saul is not saved because he did not repent and died in his sins. Instead of repenting he went to a medium (who God had banned in Israel and he too) and he ended up committing suicide.

Again biblical repentance is not "sorrow" its a change of mind or turning.
Repentance is sorrow for sin, we especially see this with Paul after he met Christ on the Damascus Road. You become more aware of the knowledge of sin and how we are doomed without a Saviour. True repentance also brings change in our lives. Paul's attitude and behaviour towards Jesus changed. He became a new man in Christ, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

An example would be a Muslim would have to repent and believe on Jesus Christ, because Islam is a false religion.
Is that all the Muslim would have to do? Wouldn't the Muslim having accepted Christ as their personal Saviour come to realise they are sinful? Wouldn't they need to repent and be baptised? Wouldn't they now be obedient to the law? If you disagree then you disagree with the Bible for it says:

Luke 5:31-32, "Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 3:19, "Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord."

How does Jesus feel when we repent? It's in the Bible, Luke 15:7, "I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance."

God would reveal His love to the Muslim in your example and he would repent. The Bible tells us repentance is a gift from God (Acts 5:31).

Its a change from unbelief to belief.
Not according to the Bible. You have to first believe before you repent.

While preaching hid Word in John Jesus nor any apostle mentions repent, and that's while preaching the gospel too.You're adding something that isn't there.
That's not true at all. Here let the Bible speak.

These are Jesus' Words.

Matthew 4:17, "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Matthew 12:41, "The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here."

Mark 1:15, "and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God
is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

Luke 5:31-32, "Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Luke 13:3, 5, "I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish."

Luke 15:7, "I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance."

John the apostle believed everything Jesus taught and advocated it. That is why he was Christ's apostle.

This is my last time discussing this subject with you too. Before I end this discussion I will tell you in all sincerity, you are wrong about repentance according to the Word of God. Yours is a false doctrine and its not of God. If you read and study the Bible verses on this subject and more on your own you will see that what I'm telling you is NOT preconceived at all.

No one is going to be saved unless they repent, this is the truth of God's Word whether you accept it or not.

Last edited:

Bubbajay

Veteran
Being convicted of sins is not repentance. Being convicted of sins comes by hearing the gospel. I'm not sure how many times people were "pricked of the heart" while hearing the apostles preach the gospel.

Bubbajay

Veteran
I never said that a truly born again Christian can lose their salvation. Im drawing the conclusion that you believe there is only one repentance and thats when someone first gets saved.

I think its possible to have the spirit of God and be so far in sin that it is still appropriate that they need to repent. It was the churches that Jesus told to "repent" in revelation.
Turning from sin is always something one does AFTER salvation. I couldn't have quit drinking without the help of God, no matter how hard I tried on my own.
Jesus never told those already saved people from the seven churches that they needed to repent before salvation, nor did he ever tell them that they'd lose salvation if they didnt. Repenting of sins is good works that will be rewarded, but not with salvation. We all should build "treasures in heaven".