Qu'ran And Sunnah Teaching

Noor-AlEman

Rookie

"And do not be grieved [O Muhammad] by those who hasten into disbelief Indeed they will never harm Allah at all Allah intends that He should give them no share in the Hereafter and for them is a great punishment" (ali imran - 176)

It can be challenging to practice Islam in America today. The bigotry, Islamophobia, xenophobia, media bias, and constant need to apologize for Muslim extremist actions can take its toll on us. Part of being an American Muslim is standing up for our beliefs and speaking truth to ignorance. It is time for us to stop apologizing, and to unapologetically declare that we are proud to be Muslims in America

Beautiful lecture by Nouman Ali Khan that's definitely worth listening to.

Last edited:

Noor-AlEman

Rookie
Islam is a religion of mercy to all people, both Muslims and non-Muslims. The Prophet was described as being a mercy in the Quran due to the message he brought for humanity:

"And We have not sent you but as a mercy to all the worlds." (Quran 21:107)

When a person analyzes the legislations of Islam with an open mind, the Mercy mentioned in this verse will definitely become apparent. One of the aspects constituting an epitome of this Mercy is the way the legislations of Islam deal with people of other faiths. The tolerant attitude of Islam towards non-Muslims, whether they be those residing in their own countries or within the Muslim lands, can be clearly seen through a study of history. This fact is not only purported by Muslims, but many non-Muslim historians also accept it. Patriarch Ghaytho wrote:

‘The Arabs, to whom the Lord has given control over the world, treat us as you know; they are not the enemies of Christians. Indeed, they praise our community, and treat our priests and saints with dignity, and offer aid to churches and monasteries.’[1]

Will Durant wrote:

‘At the time of the Umayyad caliphate, the people of the covenant, Christians, Zoroastrians, Jews, and Sabians, all enjoyed degree of tolerance that we do not find even today in Christian countries. They were free to practice the rituals of their religion and their churches and temples were preserved. They enjoyed autonomy in that they were subject to the religious laws of the scholars and judges.’[2]

These just relations between Muslims and people of other faiths were not due to mere politics played by Muslim rulers, but rather they were a direct result of the teachings of the religion of Islam, one which preaches that people of other religions be free to practice their own faith, only accepting the guidance offered by Islam by their own choice. God says in the Quran:

"There is no compulsion in religion…" (Quran 2:256)

Not only does Islam demand their freedom to practice religion, but also that they be treated justly as any other fellow human. Warning against any abuse of non-Muslims in an Islamic society, the Prophet stated:

"Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, curtails their rights, burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment." (Abu Dawud)

How far is this mannerism than the majority of nations, to this day, which not only suppress the rights of foreign religions, but also foreign peoples and races! In a time when Muslims were being tortured to death in then pagan Mecca, Jews were being persecuted in Christian Europe, and various peoples were being subjugated due to their particular race or caste, Islam called to the just treatment of all peoples and religions, due to its merciful tenets which gave humanity the right to their humanness.

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/374/viewall/rights-of-non-muslims-in-islam/#_ftnref26308

Great article about the rights of non-Muslims in Islam that shows how beautiful our deen is.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Islam is a religion of mercy to all people, both Muslims and non-Muslims. The Prophet was described as being a mercy in the Quran due to the message he brought for humanity:

"And We have not sent you but as a mercy to all the worlds." (Quran 21:107)

When a person analyzes the legislations of Islam with an open mind, the Mercy mentioned in this verse will definitely become apparent. One of the aspects constituting an epitome of this Mercy is the way the legislations of Islam deal with people of other faiths. The tolerant attitude of Islam towards non-Muslims, whether they be those residing in their own countries or within the Muslim lands, can be clearly seen through a study of history. This fact is not only purported by Muslims, but many non-Muslim historians also accept it. Patriarch Ghaytho wrote:

‘The Arabs, to whom the Lord has given control over the world, treat us as you know; they are not the enemies of Christians. Indeed, they praise our community, and treat our priests and saints with dignity, and offer aid to churches and monasteries.’[1]

Will Durant wrote:

‘At the time of the Umayyad caliphate, the people of the covenant, Christians, Zoroastrians, Jews, and Sabians, all enjoyed degree of tolerance that we do not find even today in Christian countries. They were free to practice the rituals of their religion and their churches and temples were preserved. They enjoyed autonomy in that they were subject to the religious laws of the scholars and judges.’[2]

These just relations between Muslims and people of other faiths were not due to mere politics played by Muslim rulers, but rather they were a direct result of the teachings of the religion of Islam, one which preaches that people of other religions be free to practice their own faith, only accepting the guidance offered by Islam by their own choice. God says in the Quran:

"There is no compulsion in religion…" (Quran 2:256)

Not only does Islam demand their freedom to practice religion, but also that they be treated justly as any other fellow human. Warning against any abuse of non-Muslims in an Islamic society, the Prophet stated:

"Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, curtails their rights, burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment." (Abu Dawud)

How far is this mannerism than the majority of nations, to this day, which not only suppress the rights of foreign religions, but also foreign peoples and races! In a time when Muslims were being tortured to death in then pagan Mecca, Jews were being persecuted in Christian Europe, and various peoples were being subjugated due to their particular race or caste, Islam called to the just treatment of all peoples and religions, due to its merciful tenets which gave humanity the right to their humanness.

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/374/viewall/rights-of-non-muslims-in-islam/#_ftnref26308

Great article about the rights of non-Muslims in Islam that shows how beautiful our deen is.
Hi, I hear what you are saying about Islam being a peaceful religion, and certainly most Muslims I have met have been good people. There are definitely more peaceful verses in tge Qu'ran and that support what you say, but I can't help but struggle with the more warlike tone that emerges in other passages, eg Surah 9:5

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

Last edited:

Noor-AlEman

Rookie
Hi, I hear what you are saying about Islam being a peaceful religion, and certainly most Muslims I have met have been good people. There are definitely more peaceful verses in tge Qu'ran and that support what you say, but I can't help but struggle with the more warlike tone that emerges in other passages, eg Surah 9:5

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
Hi, Red Sky at Moring.

Here's your answer:

Quran 9:5 Kill the disbelievers wherever you find them. This verse from Quran has been misquoted in a manner to misguide the people and show that Islam is an evil religion who ordered Muslims to kill non-believers. The verse is refereed as “the verse of the sword”. Indeed, there is an order for that but to understand the reason behind this verse, you need to read the complete verse including verse of same chapter related to this verse of Quran. First, we shall provide the verse in its context:

"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give Zakat, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."
To understand this verse you must look for the whole story and the most important thing is to look for the reasons why Muslims were commanded to kill disbelievers and who are those disbelievers specifically.

First. Let's see the story:
At the year 6 of the Hijri calendar when prophet Mohammed was exiled to Madinah and was prevented he and all his Muslims companies to go to Mecca, and when he wanted perform Umrah with his companions so he sent one of his companions to negotiate with his enemies in Mecca an agreement and after long time of negotiations they had an agreement called "Al-Hudaibia Reconciliation" and there are its terms:
  1. Anyone can join this agreement in the aside of Mohammed or in the side of the Mecca people in the future.
  2. It's not allowed to attack each other's tribes.
  3. No war or fighting at all for 10 years .
  4. The prophet Mohammed and his companions can perform Omrah in El-Masjid El-Haram in the next year and people of Mecca can't prevent him.
And both sides respected this agreement until the year 8 of the Hijri calendar means after two years of signing it .

When (Quraish tribe) betrayed the prophet Mohammed and they had an individual agreement with prophet Mohammed's enemies and not only this , they also attacked the tribe of Bano Bakr which was strong allies of the prophet Mohammed.

And that's why the prophet Mohammed decided to conquer them because they betrayed the agreement first and he could control Mecca at the year 8 and when he controlled Mecca he captured 10 thousands of disbelievers as prisoners and he said to them " what do you think I'm gonna do to you?" They said. " a generous and son of generous man ". He replied " then go you are all free " he released All of them.

But there are many who escaped from Mecca and tried to regain their power to fight again the Muslims. Second, here we comes to the reason of why God commanded prophet Mohammed to kill them . The reason is for betraying him although they had the Hudaibia Reconciliation. And they wanted to fight him again.

But there was three very important exceptions was mentioned in the verses 5,6,7 of Surat number 9, and those exactions was:
  1. Give them four months until they do whatever they want, escaping or converting to Islam.
  2. If anyone of them come to the prophet asked for peace and safety then the prophet obligated to secure him until he learn about Islam from the prophet Mohammed and he can go back again or join Muslims but he is secured in both cases.
  3. Never attack or kill those people and tribes who joined the Hudaibia reconciliation " agreement " and didn't betray you . . That means the only disbelievers who will prophet Mohammed fight and kill are the one who betrayed him and killed his allies " Bano Bakr " . Not all disbelievers.
If You wanna study Islam then you have to study it as one piece not to take one verse and explain it in dishonest way.

http://www.muslimsarenotterrorists.com/2016/07/kill-disbelievers-wherever-you-find-them.html?m=1

Context is important to understand Qur'an and Allah never ordered Muslims to kill innocent people.

Last edited:
Context is important to understand Qur'an and Allah never ordered Muslims to kill innocent people.
Walaikumus-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Jazakallahu khairan Noor for this thread and that statement.

-----

Anyone who learns about the prophetic message finds that it maintained human dignity and raised his status, as human beings, whether Muslims or not, are the offspring of Adam. Allah the Almighty honored all humanity by saying, “We have honored the sons of Adam, provided them with transport on land and sea; given them for sustenance things good and pure; and conferred on them special favors, above a great part of Our creation“. (Al-Israa, 17: 70)

Hence, all people have rights as human beings before Allah the Almighty. Yet, they, before Allah, are distinguished by fearing their Lord, having faith, and adopting good morals. Moreover, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was consistent in showing this clearly in his behavior and dealing with non-Muslims. Continue reading here...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Walaikumus-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Jazakallahu khairan Noor for this thread and that statement.

-----

Anyone who learns about the prophetic message finds that it maintained human dignity and raised his status, as human beings, whether Muslims or not, are the offspring of Adam. Allah the Almighty honored all humanity by saying, “We have honored the sons of Adam, provided them with transport on land and sea; given them for sustenance things good and pure; and conferred on them special favors, above a great part of Our creation“. (Al-Israa, 17: 70)

Hence, all people have rights as human beings before Allah the Almighty. Yet, they, before Allah, are distinguished by fearing their Lord, having faith, and adopting good morals. Moreover, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was consistent in showing this clearly in his behavior and dealing with non-Muslims. Continue reading here...
Sorry to put you both on the spot there - would you both contend that when properly interpreted and understood by intelligent adults, Islam promotes a message of peace? You hear the popular Wahabi teachings coming out of Saudi and the use that these are put to by the guys with black flags and wonder what the majority of the Muslim world make of them? I'm not trying to be argumentitive I'm just interested in other Islamic perspectives on those who would seek to force a 'top down' religion on others in this way?

Last edited:
I don't feel put on the spot by your reply or question - but my answer is in the first two paragraphs of the article I quoted above. The majority - vast majority - of the Muslim world is appalled by the 'guys with black flags' and we could quote you articles from Muslim scholars and laymen alike denouncing the scourge that people like them bring upon the world - they are far removed from Islam. You may not read about these things in the MSM which is why people like myself and Noor post here to show the truth about Islam. The Grand Mufti ofSaudi Arabia has even said:

"The ideas of extremism, radicalism and terrorism ... have nothing to do with Islam and (their proponents) are the enemy number one of Islam," http://www.arabnews.com/news/featured/618351

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Thanks for your reply, Grateful Servant.

I can see that many Muslums find these people repellant. There are verses in the Bible that can be taken out of context and abused to make a point that any straightforward reading would quickly dispel.

Prosperity preachers who fuse 'law of attraction' new age teachings with the Bible confuse the message. Equally the gradual infiltration of paganism through the centuries by the Catholic church brought things to the point where the message was almost lost amongst the tradition. Who can forget how the blurring of Church and State led to a climate where going on Crusades sounded like a good idea!?

I just wanted to draw you out to get to the essence of what your faith means to you and hopefully skim off the things that people would pick up on who are 'outsiders'. You guys are clearly well read in your faith.

I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I only want to talk to people who share my views. I think if something is true, it will always stand up to scrutiny.

God bless you both

You're welcome. The essence of Islam is not far from the essence of Christianity. Peace through submission to the will of God. On the previous forums, I wrote extensively that this message is as clear as day in the writings of the Bible itself.

As a thoughtful Christian, I would ask you to consider the clear message and religion of Jesus Christ himself, you may even come to the conclusion that by it's literal meaning- he was a Muslim, just like me. Peace.

Thunderian

Superstar
Peace to you, my friend. I am having difficulty with the following passage from the Quran. Can you please explain the context?

Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

Noor-AlEman

Rookie
Peace to you, my friend. I am having difficulty with the following passage from the Quran. Can you please explain the context?

Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,
Peace to you too, Thunderian.

5:33 Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption (mischief) is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

5:34 Except for those who return [repenting] before you apprehend them. And know that Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

Historical Context For 5:33

We are told that from a number of reports that go back to when Prophet Muhammed (p) was alive, that this particular verse (5:33) was revealed in connection with some people who came from Ukil (or Urayna) to Madinah, and asked the Prophet for some food and drink. The prophet told them to go with his shepherd nearby and they will be fed.

The sources further say, once they were fed and rested properly, they killed the shepherd and robbed all the camels. Upon news reaching the Prophet (p), he despatched his companions to capture these criminals. Sahih al-Bukhari:

“A group of eight men from the tribe of ‘Ukil came to the Prophet and then they found the climate of Medina unsuitable for them. So, they said, “O Allah’s Messenger! Provide us with some milk.” Allah’s Apostle said, “I recommend that you should join the herd of camels.” So they went and drank the urine and the milk of the camels (as a medicine) till they became healthy and fat. Then they killed the shepherd and drove away the camels, and they became unbelievers after whey were Muslims. When the Prophet was informed by a shouter for help, he sent some men in their pursuit, and before the sun rose high, they were brought, and he had their hands and feet cut off. … (Abu Qilaba, a sub-narrator said, “They committed murder and theft and fought against Allah and His Apostle, and spread evil in the land.”) (Sahih al-Bukhari volume 4, Book 52, Hadith 261)

Sahih Muslim:

“Eight men of the tribe of ‘Ukl came to Allah’s Messenger and swore allegiance to him on Islam, but found the climate of that land uncogenial to their health and thus they became sick, and they made complaint of that to Allah’s Messenger, and he said: Why don’t you go to (the fold) of our camels along with our shepherd, and make use of their milk… They said: Yes. They set out and drank their (camels’) milk … and regained their health. They killed the shepherd and drove away the camels. This (news) reached Allah’s Messenger and he sent them on their track and they were caught and brought to him (the Holy Prophet). He commanded about them, and (thus) their hands and feet were cut…” (Sahih Muslim Book 16, Hadith 4131) [1] [2] [3]

Some of the details in regards to this event might be hard to stomach for a modern reader, how these criminals were killed. But one has to keep in mind, the punishment meted out was exactly what they did to the victims and worse. The following historical reports give us further details surrounding this incident, which was not mentioned in the previous citations, on what these criminals did to the victims.

Tabari:

“Abd al-Malik Ibn Marwan wrote a letter to Anas Ibn Malik, was asking him about this verse (i.e., Quran 5:33). Then Anas responded with a letter to him informing him that this verse was revealed concerning those group of Uraniyyun (or Ukil) from Bajilah. Anas said: ‘They apostatized from Islam, KILLED THE SHEPHERD, herded off the camels, SPREAD TERROR ON THE HIGHWAY, AND RAPED WOMEN. Anas said, ‘The Messenger of God asked Jibril [Angel Gabriel] about the ruling concerning those who brigandage. He (Gabriel) said, ‘Whosoever steals and spreads terror on the highway, cut off his hand for his thievery and his leg for spreading terror. And whosoever kills, kill him. And whosoever kills, spreads terror on the highway, and rapes, crucify him.’” [5]

Al-Waqidi:

“THE EXPEDITION OF THE COMMANDER KURZ B. JABIR
The expedition took place when the milch camels of the Prophet were raided in shawwal of the year six, in Dhul-Jadr, which lies eight miles from Medina.
… A group of eight from Urayna came before the Messenger of God and converted. They deemed Medina unhealthy, and the Prophet commanded them to be moved to his milch camels that were in Dhul-Jar. The cattle of the Muslims were there in Dhul-Jadr until they became healthy and put on weight. They asked permission of the Prophet to drink the camel’s milk and urine. He permitted them, and in the morning they left with the camels. The Mawla of the Prophet overtook them, but there was a group with them that fought him. They captured him and they cut his hand and leg, and pierced his tongue and eyes with a fork until he died. Then they left with the camels.
A woman from the Banu Amr b. Awf approached on a donkey of hers until she passed Yasar under a tree. When she saw him and what to him, he was dead. She returned to her people and informed them. They set out towards Yasar until they brought him to Quba, dead. The Messenger of God sent twenty riders in the tracks of those from Urayna. He appointed Kurz b. Jabir al-Fihri over them.
They set out in search of them until they reached them at night. They spent the night in the district and rose in the morning, but did not know where to go. All of a sudden, they found themselves with a woman carrying the shoulder of a camel. They took her captive, and said, ‘What do you have with you?’ She said, ‘I passed by a people who had slaughtered a camel and they gave it to me.’ They said, ‘where are they?’ She replied, ‘They are in that wasteland of the district. When you are before them you will see their smoke.’

So they left until they came to the men from Urayna when they had finished their food. They surrounded them and asked them to surrender. All of them were captured; not a man escaped. They tied them and seated them behind them on their horses until they arrived with them in Medina. They found the Messenger of God in al-Ghaba and they set out to meet him. … I set out walking in their tracks with some youths. When the Prophet met them in al-Zaghaba where the waters meet, he commanded that their hands and legs be cut. Their eyes were scooped out and they were crucified there. … When the Prophet cut the hands of the Companions of the milch camels, and their legs, and gouged out their eyes, these verses were revealed: ‘Punishment of those who wage war against God and His Apostle and strive corruption in the land, is execution or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides… (Q. 5:33) to the end of the verse. … Ibn Bilal related to me from Ja’far b. Muhammad from his father from his grandfather, who said: ‘ The Messenger of God did not cut a tongue ever. Nor did he gouge out an eye. Indeed he did not go beyond cutting hands and feet ever. …” [8]

https://discover-the-truth.com/2016/03/18/those-who-wage-war-and-make-mischief-quran-533/

Thunderian

Superstar
Thank you for your reply, Noor-AlEman.

Can I ask you if you believe that Jesus was a Muslim? Because I have to say, given what we know about him, his reaction to murderers and camel thieves would probably have not been the same as Muhammad's.

Didn't Jesus say:

Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven:

Is this same sentiment found anywhere in the Quran? If so, then why didn't Muhammad forgive the murderers? If this is not found in the Quran, why would Jesus say such a thing?

I know that Muslims like to say they believe that Jesus was a prophet of Islam, but a lot of things he said and did do not reflect anything found in the Quran or hadith. How can he be called a Muslim prophet when he didn't act like a Muslim?

Last edited:

manama

Star
Even though i'm not the OP i'd like to add that,
Muslim to us means someone who has submitted to God, in that sense Jesus Christ p.b.u.h was a Muslim. Even though we Muslims do believe in the fact that we should always forgive our enemies for Forgiveness is the highest of all virtues - Prophet Muhammad S.a.w
But Murder is something different, If you take someone else's life or their property you have to serve the proper sentence because the victim is also the slave of God and he should be served justice.

This is the main reason that in Arab of that time, murderers were punished by death unless the victim's family or close relative decided to forgive the murderer.

Thunderian

Superstar
In Jesus' time, murderers were punished by death as well, but the Bible records Jesus as forgiving those who killed him. Most of his disciples were murdered as well, but there were no wars started by his followers against those responsible.

manama

Star
But for example if you kill my family, my next door neighbor is not the one with the rights to forgive them or want justice. Its me who has the ultimate say.
And when most of the Muslims in order to protect themselves migrated to Madinah only to hear that the remaining family members were being killed, tortured, raped and enslaved. .
Also, its a difference of timeline. Contrary to Jesus Christ p.b.u.h's time, the Prophet Muhammad's time aka the Arab peninsula 1400 years ago was a time of war. People solved all their internal conflicts or any other issues through fighting. People took pride in their fighting skills and hence trained from a very young age. Swords were the judge of the outcome. And thus at a time like this they either had to fight to stay quiet while the people they loved died.

And we can see that when the Prophet asked for the conflict to be solved not by war but by proper conversation, They came to an agreement and signed a treaty and every single time they broke it and started killing again because of which they finally had to fight

Thunderian

Superstar
Contrary to Jesus Christ p.b.u.h's time, the Prophet Muhammad's time aka the Arab peninsula 1400 years ago was a time of war. People solved all their internal conflicts or any other issues through fighting.
So Muhammad's reaction to the violence that was prevalent in his time was to respond with more violence? How is this enlightened?

Jesus said to his followers, if someone wants to harm you, let them.

manama

Star
There is a difference between being forgiving and a coward. If your family is being killed in front of you would you let it happen? No, none would.
Also except one small war (i forgot the name) which occurred when muslims were back stabbed and a certain treaty was broken and everyone who went to Makkah for a visit, were killed. All of the other wars happened in defense.
If your country is under war and the other party has clearly declared war and are coming with full force ready to kill everyone, You have to fight back and defend. If you don't and let them kill you and torture you and r*pe you, You aren't being forgiving, you are being a pathetic coward who is incapable of being a leader and taking responsibility for your people.
(keep in mind i'm not calling Jesus p..b.u.h a coward i can never do that, but if it was a time where conflicts were solved through swords, if he said that at such a time i would truly be very disappointed)