Quotes

DesertRose

Superstar
I am so proud
of the warrior
I’ve created from the ashes
that were meant
to bury me.
Love that, thank you for this quote Hooligan69. First time I heard about her.

Found this:
“Don't tell me there's no place for innocent hearts in this world. Don't tell me I need to accept what I don't believe in. I respect it. Don't confuse my values for my stubbornness, although I am stubborn. Don't confuse my positive attitude for being naive. Allow me to wrap my heart around you for a moment. Listen to this. Innocent hearts may not belong anywhere in this world but they are big enough for any heart in this world. Innocent hearts belong in innocent hearts. Innocent hearts belong in the hearts of those who genuinely want happiness.”
― Najwa Zebian, Mind Platter

“Don't see the worst in a person and expect them to see the best in you.”

“You were my home
for so long.
Now I realize that humans
cannot
be homes.
If homes can leave,
then they are not
homes.”
― Najwa Zebian, The Nectar of Pain

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
“A culture that does not grasp the vital interplay between morality and power, which mistakes management techniques for wisdom, and fails to understand that the measure of a civilization is its compassion, not its speed or ability to consume, condemns itself to death.”
― Chris Hedges,
Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle

“The enduring attraction of war is this: Even with its destruction and carnage it can give us what we long for in life. It can give us purpose, meaning, a reason for living.”
― Chris Hedges,
War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning

“In the beginning war looks and feels like love. But unlike love it gives nothing in return but an ever-deepening dependence, like all narcotics, on the road to self-destruction. It does not affirm but places upon us greater and greater demands. It destroys the outside world until it is hard to live outside war's grip. It takes a higher and higher dose to achieve any thrill. Finally, one ingests war only to remain numb.”
― Chris Hedges,
War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning

Dalit

Star
Some good quotes from recently reading Lane Moore's How to Be Alone.

"The exceptional, overwhelming kindness of strangers who immediately see me and my heart as special and full and open and innately, unequivocally, deserving of love and care right out of the gate, no questions asked, has often left me gut-punched and confused."

"...a lifetime of intense trauma leaving us both with an eternal need to write, make jokes, and steer clear of most people."

"...my dating philosophy, try as I might to break it in the years since, has always been that if I'm seeing someone, f*ck, even if I like someone and nothing has happened yet, we're on a journey together and I'm going to see where this goes. It had never occurred to me at that time that there was any other way to date."

Hooligan69

Established

Found this:
“Don't tell me there's no place for innocent hearts in this world. Don't tell me I need to accept what I don't believe in. I respect it. Don't confuse my values for my stubbornness, although I am stubborn. Don't confuse my positive attitude for being naive. Allow me to wrap my heart around you for a moment. Listen to this. Innocent hearts may not belong anywhere in this world but they are big enough for any heart in this world. Innocent hearts belong in innocent hearts. Innocent hearts belong in the hearts of those who genuinely want happiness.”

“You were my home
for so long.
cannot
be homes.
If homes can leave,
then they are not
homes.”
I met Najwa Zebian in person and she even signed my copy of Sparks of Phoenix with a sweet message!

Hooligan69

Established
"The objective of neoliberalism's migration policy is more to destabilize the world labor market than to put a brake on immigration. The Fourth World War - with its mechanisms of destruction/depopulation and reconstruction/reorganization - involves the displacement of millions of people. Their destiny is to wander the world, carrying the burden of their nightmare with them, so as to constitute a threat to workers who have a job, a scapegoat designed to make people forget their bosses and to provide a basis for the racism that neoliberalism provokes."

- Subcomandante Marcos (The Fourth World War Has Begun, September 1997)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Everything becomes more and more itself. Here is joy that cannot be shaken. Our light can swallow up your darkness; but your darkness cannot now infect our light.
~ C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce

Hooligan69

Established

Found this:

“You were my home
for so long.
cannot
be homes.
If homes can leave,
then they are not
homes.”

Hopeful

Star
If you have no critics.. You'll likely have no success.
~Malcolm X

I'm going to tell like it is.. I Hope you can take it like it is.
~Malcolm X

Hooligan69

Established
‘’Governments don’t want a population capable of critical thinking, they want obedient workers, people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation.You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own, and control the corporations. They’ve long since bought, and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pockets and they own all the big media companies, so they control just about all of the news and information you get to hear.They got you by the balls.''

- George Carlin